Author Topic: Steel shelter is almost done, now what...  (Read 4621 times)

Offline Aruba1

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Steel shelter is almost done, now what...
« on: February 29, 2016, 09:07:11 AM »
Hello everyone,

Over two weekends and 17 hours of work, my wife and I build a 6x6x6 steel storm shelter out of 1/4" steel plates and 4" i-beams. We build the doors and this coming weekend we will weld i-beam reinforcements on the outside of the shelter. I also ordered some 3/4" stainless steel solid rods and 0.76" ID pipe for the locking pics. This weekend we will also weld some bench steel brackets, drill some holes for vents and encase them to be safe from break-ins, bullets, etc. The shelter will go on the inside corner in the garage and it will be bolted down to the 6" concrete slab in 12 different locations.

So my questions as following:

1. How should I deal with the noise on the inside? I was thinking about using some home insulation on the inside and cover the walls with 3/4" green sheetrock. I will use plywood on the floors and cover it with 3/4 thick rubber.

2. Do you have recommendation on bright LED lights that works off D batteries and also on 120v?

3. I am planning on having some canned items, some gallons of sealed water, extra batteries, ear plugs (LOL), a locked storage for guns... What else should I have as basic items in the shelter?

4. I thinking about adding some pockets in the wall that I can open quickly and you know do what in case of intruders. Any ideas?

5. Besides registering the storm shelter with the local fire department, who else should know about it?

6. If anyone has some really thick bullet proof glass that you want to sell, please PM me. I am looking for anything from a 3"x3" to something like a 6" x 12".

Now I need to figure the image attachment thing :-)

Thanks

Offline cpf240

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Steel shelter is almost done, now what...
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 07:27:09 PM »
I think the first thing you should do is post pictures so we can all be properly jealous!   :)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 10:58:46 PM »
I think the first thing you should do is post pictures so we can all be properly jealous!   :)

No kidding!

Cedar

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 06:41:18 AM »
Thi spost needs more pics.  ;D

Offline Aruba1

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 09:08:06 AM »
LOL, how do I upload pictures?

Offline Aruba1

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 12:33:48 PM »

testing

nkawtg

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 12:42:04 PM »
Typically you upload a picture to an online service like Google Pictures or Yahoo's Flickr then grab the picture's URL.

Offline Aruba1

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 09:10:26 AM »
Testing testing... Johnson Model J coming to the rescue to cut some steel...

http://s116.photobucket.com/user/pilinchi/media/IMG_1108.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Offline Aruba1

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 09:13:44 AM »
I still need to weld the corners and weld angle iron on all corners. The project is to have this primed, painted, wired and installed this weekend so I can move to my other projects. And have less than 25 hours in it and less then a $1000 :-)

http://s116.photobucket.com/user/pilinchi/media/IMG_1084.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s116.photobucket.com/user/pilinchi/media/IMG_1078.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

http://s116.photobucket.com/user/pilinchi/media/IMG_3423.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

http://s116.photobucket.com/user/pilinchi/media/IMG_3421.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

Offline vivificus

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 01:35:20 PM »
Let me first say how jealous I am, now here are some thoughts.

1) I'm not an expert in this arena, but my opinion is that plywood would be as good a drywall in sound abatement. Plus it would give you the ability to use it as a base for storage or adding hooks.

2) for such a small space I don't think you need a very bright light to make things visible I would recommend a small LED lantern. I'm sure you can find something that will run on C batteries.

3) As far as storage goes, wooden walls would allow for easy changes to be made such as shelves or cabinets. I would mostly see someone storing food, water, medical items. Also don't forget a way to dispose of waste.

4) for your openings you may want something on each side that you can see through and access your situation. Also something where you can use a weapon if necessary. I would think of something like what bank tellers have where there could be room to pass material back and forth, but also no ability to shoot into the structure. Obviously you would want all openings to be accessible from the inside only. I think an inward opening door makes it where it cannot be barricaded or blocked from the outside, and leave you stuck inside.

Some additional things you may want to do:
Make the structure appear to be something unimportant like a closet, you could Sheetrock the outside and make it look like a utilities closet in your garage. Possibly bricks or wood paneling on the outside.

Think about ventilation, possibly a hand powered fan or filter to force fresh air in.

An in floor safe may be worth installing before placing the structure.  something like this http://www.deansafe.com/ecbinflsawil.html?gclid=CKTvjvDqossCFZSMaQodWW4Pww

Offline Aruba1

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 01:44:09 PM »
Thanks Viv, those are really good recommendations. I am going the plywood route and stuff some insulation between it and the metal. Also i will make a small steel storage container for handguns and have on a combination lock. I am thinking about the small pockets in the walls placed in different locations that I can slide over and shoot. I hope that some bulletproof glass will become available soon on Craigslist so I can incorporate that in the design. It will be tinted and backed up with sliding steel plating.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 11:48:41 PM »
I have 2 qustions regarding shelters.
Are they placed indoors like in a corner of the garage?
and are they solidly connected to the floor not running the risk to be toppled?

tip how to add pictures.
Follow the link with the pic you posted.
On the right hand side it sahys "share this photo"
You copy the "direct" link.
then you go to the forum topic, and put the cursos where you want the pic
you find the yellow button with a tini picture frame over the smilies (on the left)
click on it and then past the picture link
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 11:54:56 PM by Greekman »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 05:55:29 AM »
a marine toilet might make a long stay more comfortable....

Offline Aruba1

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 08:00:26 AM »
Marine toilet is in the plans. Rest of the household consists of 5 ladies, we can't go to the nearby walmart without someone having to go to the restroom.

The shelter will be placed in an inside corner in the garage and bolted to the slab. In my opinion I believe the shelter is overbuild from what I have seen online. All corner will have 3" squares (1/4" thick) welded on the inside and the outside. C-channels (4") will be welded vertically in the middle of the inside walls and also on the side top. The top channels will be braces with 3/16" plates. On the outside I will have two c-channels welded around the walls and the top. The house has a crawl basement and the garage sits about 30" lower. I am going to build an emergency door on the back of the shelter to connect to the house so it can be level to the house floor. This will be a small door, possibly a 3' x 3' opening and the shelter can be used as a panic room. I am not good explaining stuff, lol, so I hope that I can upload pics of the finished product this weekend.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 12:22:27 PM »
Perhaps a valve to control overhead shower to cool exterior of the crock pot,err shelter during fire?

Offline Aruba1

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 02:26:00 PM »
Carl, that is an excellent idea. That will be included. I will need to do some good welds and silicon all corners before painting it so if water has to be used it won't leak out and mess up the fun unless it's goes over 5 inches high (bottom of door). Since I will seal to the door it may not leak at all :-). This is a good practice to keep smoke out of the shelter as well.