Author Topic: PrepperJim Ham Update  (Read 22593 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: PrepperJim Ham Update
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2016, 12:00:30 PM »
I wonder if a VHF contact from Bossier to Houston would be possible. My house is at about 50 ft elevation!

I regularly talk to the Houston area on 2 meter SSB with my 13B2 antenna at 35 feet II also set a VHF over land world record with the same setup.

BUT realistically ,Houston to my area is best for 80 meter NVIS work.

Here is a card for the nay-sayers. I don't often post my call sign,but KB5WMY is me.
Over 150-200 miles with 2 meters SSB is RARE and in the case of the card above was done by bouncing my signal off of the moon.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2016, 01:33:49 PM »
I regularly talk to the Houston area on 2 meter SSB with my 13B2 antenna at 35 feet II also set a VHF over land world record with the same setup.

BUT realistically ,Houston to my area is best for 80 meter NVIS work.

Here is a card for the nay-sayers. I don't often post my call sign,but KB5WMY is me.
Over 150-200 miles with 2 meters SSB is RARE and in the case of the card above was done by bouncing my signal off of the moon.

Is SSB mode commonly available on 2 meter VHF radios?

Imagine it's only available on the all band/all mode rigs like IC-706.

Any good reason we don't see VHF mobiles with SSB?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2016, 02:54:01 PM »
There used too be several 2 meter SSB radios,I think lately they make you buy and all band all mode to get the 2 meter sideband option.
My last 2 meter only was a kenwood TR 751. SSB is many times longer range capable than FM though my typical range is from north Louisiana to southern Kansas at about 350 miles...but a lot depends on WX and time of day  as I get a good North/South path at sunup and sundown.You learn to 'surf' conditions.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2016, 05:06:23 PM »
I thought the 880 had dual receivers in it? My Yaesu does.

One of these weekends I'll drive over to Paris and see if I can find MTC. I used to hunt over in that area.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2016, 08:16:08 PM »
I thought the 880 had dual receivers in it? My Yaesu does.

One of these weekends I'll drive over to Paris and see if I can find MTC. I used to hunt over in that area.

The 880 has a dual band receiver, but not simultaneously. I am not sure what it the advantage of simultaneous receiving as I can only listen to one thing at a time. I suppose I can listen to two, but if it is coming out of the same speaker, how does that actually work? Sure, I work a scanner at the same time as I am listening  I am just asking because I don't know what the advantage of simultaneous receiving.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2016, 08:29:28 PM »

Who would the hell nay-say Carl? Pity the fool! Bounce the signal off the moon. As if? That moon is so far away. How could that be possible? ;-)

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2016, 09:04:03 PM »
The 880 has a dual band receiver, but not simultaneously. I am not sure what it the advantage of simultaneous receiving as I can only listen to one thing at a time. I suppose I can listen to two, but if it is coming out of the same speaker, how does that actually work? Sure, I work a scanner at the same time as I am listening  I am just asking because I don't know what the advantage of simultaneous receiving.

In my case, I can keep the regular spotter frequency up on the "main" receiver and still keep one of the other repeaters up to hear comms between spotters or whatever else on the "sub" receiver. Or I can shoot the breeze with them on the "sub" RXer while still monitoring the spotter reports. I just tap the screen to select which one I want to TX on. Works pretty well, and avoids the boredom of listening to nothing between spotter reports. My only complaint with it on the yaesu is that the mute function is all or nothing(or I'm not yet 2% smarter than the device I'm trying to operate). Also, the APRS beacon is configurable to TX/RX on either "main" or "sub", or TX on one and RX on the other. I haven't turned APRS on, but I did configure it to TX/RX only on the "sub", so that I can avoid having it break into a phone/digital TX on the "main" if I ever do use it.

It does come out of either the single speaker in the unit or an auxiliary speaker you plug in. One caution I will give to anyone considering the Yaesu 400---use the adapter plug they supply if you're not 100% sure the speaker has a stereo plug on it. You will regret it if you stick a mono plug in the speaker jack. If you buy a used unit and it has low receive audio on VFO B, someone has stuck a mono plug in the speaker jack...and yes this even affects the built in speaker.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2016, 09:24:06 PM »
I'm currently inclined to go with either an IC-2730a or a TM-V71a

I need the separate head, want dual band and dual receive.  The add-on cost for mounting brackets and extension cables is annoying.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2016, 09:29:01 AM »
I'm currently inclined to go with either an IC-2730a or a TM-V71a

I need the separate head, want dual band and dual receive.  The add-on cost for mounting brackets and extension cables is annoying.

I use the Dual Receive ALL the time, I really have no interest in a rig that can't do it.

of course the 71 is my pick, and I think in the end the cost of the kit is worth the extra $ for the additional features. (MHO)

for what it's worth, I just now (like stopped typing to open it) received an ICOM AD-880H 'loaner' to try to get myself on DStar...it's a future  podcast thing.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2016, 10:06:55 AM »
I use the Dual Receive ALL the time, I really have no interest in a rig that can't do it.

of course the 71 is my pick, and I think in the end the cost of the kit is worth the extra $ for the additional features. (MHO)

for what it's worth, I just now (like stopped typing to open it) received an ICOM AD-880H 'loaner' to try to get myself on DStar...it's a future  podcast thing.

A brick and mortar retailer, where I could touch the gear would be useful.  I still am unsure what style of mount will work best. 
I want something safe, and not too ugly.  This seems ok, and I like that I can run any cabling either inside or at least along the stem.

I can improvise the head and mic extension cables, but will need whatever kind of mounting bracket for the remote head.

The idea of the windshield suction seems cool, but I'll have dangling wires to deal with, and I'm no sure how safe it will be in a collision.  When my truck got hit, all sort of stuff got tossed around - even a powerpole crimp ripped apart when the bed got pulled from the cab..

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2016, 10:07:31 PM »
I know why I thought the 880 had dual receive.....I was thinking about the 71/710.

I welded up a bracket that mounts to the underside of my passenger seat to mount the main body of the Yaesu. I then bent, cut, and welded up some steel flat stock to bolt the display head to, and bolted that to my center console.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2016, 09:12:55 AM »
I know why I thought the 880 had dual receive.....I was thinking about the 71/710.

I welded up a bracket that mounts to the underside of my passenger seat to mount the main body of the Yaesu. I then bent, cut, and welded up some steel flat stock to bolt the display head to, and bolted that to my center console.

Very resourceful.  How does it look?  :)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2016, 09:37:29 AM »

If it looks good,it doesn't have to work, wait that's the 'wife' rule...radio brackets must work AND look good. ;)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2016, 10:28:53 AM »
If it looks good,it doesn't have to work, wait that's the 'wife' rule...radio brackets must work AND look good. ;)

If my XYL says "wow your station looks nice", I will have achieved the impossible and be the envy of the amateur radio community.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2016, 10:35:30 AM »
If my XYL says "wow your station looks nice", I will have achieved the impossible and be the envy of the amateur radio community.

The Ham's nightmare is when you wake from a coma and the wife says all is well,
I sold all of your Ham radios for what you said you paid for them to pay the doctors.  :spit:

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2016, 09:04:12 PM »

My wife didn't bat an eye. I thought I had posted a pic here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it or take another.