Author Topic: A Mapping Program You Can Plot Your Contacts On?  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
A Mapping Program You Can Plot Your Contacts On?
« on: March 08, 2016, 08:28:59 AM »
Does anyone know of a stand alone program or site you can import your contacts and drop a pin on the general location of the contact.  I'm just started using the log on QRZ.com.
FF

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
Re: A Mapping Program You Can Plot Your Contacts On?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 09:22:49 AM »
There are several ways to do this with google maps and sheets.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-ways-to-make-a-google-map-using-google-spreadsheet-data/
-D

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 10:17:05 AM »
I am addicted to this personally

https://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 11:47:42 AM »
I am addicted to this personally

https://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html

SH, Not quite what I was looking for but it certainly has my interest peaked.  How does it know when a station is transmitting?
FF

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 11:59:17 AM »
SH, Not quite what I was looking for but it certainly has my interest peaked.  How does it know when a station is transmitting?
FF

For digital modes it's more or less automatic.  If you run FLdigi for example, every callsign that decodes on your screen will be "spotted".  This of course requires an internet connection and "spot" feature enabled.

There are other programs and modes that do similar.   If you look at the drop down box, you'll find SSB and pretty much any mode you can think of.

However digital modes are where it's at for this map.  If you click on any of the color balloons you can see what mode(s) and frequency they are monitoring.  When you TX, either calling CQ or answering another call, if that spotting station software "sees" your call, it will log the spot report.

I found this extremely helpful in understand propagation.  No longer did I depend on a human responding with a signal report.  A machine would log that it heard me.  I realize this isn't a QSO, but I really got into it and started using JT65 just to see what colored balloons on the map I could ping.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 12:06:58 PM »
Does anyone know of a stand alone program or site you can import your contacts and drop a pin on the general location of the contact.  I'm just started using the log on QRZ.com.
FF

Back to your main point, the level of precision for most logging formats will be within a gridsquare.

Here's an example from my JT65 log (I've redacted the callsigns for privacy).  I'm K7XXX in this example

Code: [Select]
<CALL:6>KE7XXX<BAND:3>80m<FREQ:5>3.576<GRIDSQUARE:4>DN00<MODE:4>JT65<RST_RCVD:3>-01<RST_SENT:3>-08<QSO_DATE:8>20160306<TIME_ON:4>0449<TIME_OFF:4>0451<STATION_CALLSIGN:5>K7XXX <MY_GRIDSQUARE:6>CN87<eor>
<CALL:6>KK2XXX<BAND:3>40m<FREQ:5>7.076<GRIDSQUARE:4>FN24<MODE:4>JT65<RST_RCVD:3>-16<RST_SENT:3>-16<QSO_DATE:8>20160306<TIME_ON:4>0520<TIME_OFF:4>0520<STATION_CALLSIGN:5>K7XXX <MY_GRIDSQUARE:6>CN87<eor>
<CALL:6>KA3XXX<BAND:3>20m<FREQ:6>14.076<GRIDSQUARE:4>FN10<MODE:4>JT65<RST_RCVD:3>-15<RST_SENT:3>-25<QSO_DATE:8>20160306<TIME_ON:4>1530<TIME_OFF:4>1535<STATION_CALLSIGN:5>K7XXX <MY_GRIDSQUARE:6>CN87<eor>
<CALL:6>KB0XXX<BAND:3>10m<FREQ:6>28.076<GRIDSQUARE:4>EM29<MODE:4>JT65<RST_RCVD:3>-01<RST_SENT:3>-09<QSO_DATE:8>20160306<TIME_ON:4>2343<TIME_OFF:4>2343<STATION_CALLSIGN:5>K7XXX <MY_GRIDSQUARE:6>CN87<eor>
<CALL:6>WA6XXX<BAND:3>10m<FREQ:6>28.076<GRIDSQUARE:4>CM98<MODE:4>JT65<RST_RCVD:3>-12<RST_SENT:3>-16<QSO_DATE:8>20160306<TIME_ON:4>2354<TIME_OFF:4>2354<STATION_CALLSIGN:5>K7XXX <MY_GRIDSQUARE:6>CN87<eor>

If you imported that into a spreadsheet, and had a way to map gridsquare to a reference LatLong, you could upload a CSV file as outoforder2day suggests to google maps.  This would be pretty cool from a DX perspective, but wouldn't look very interesting for local comms, where 90% of contact will appear as a single blob within a grid square.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 02:41:12 PM »
I will second the use of Google Maps. I uploaded a spreadsheet of local elementary, middle and high schools along with their performance data. My wife and I are likely going to move and this was helpful to figure out where decent public schools are. It is actually quite easy to use.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 03:15:12 PM »
For digital modes it's more or less automatic.  If you run FLdigi for example, every callsign that decodes on your screen will be "spotted".  This of course requires an internet connection and "spot" feature enabled.

Holy crap. This ham thing is like an onion with more layers than I could possibly imagine.

Does this raise privacy issues? Sure, licenses contain our home addresses, but tracking all transmits and when we are listening.....

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 03:40:54 PM »
Holy crap. This ham thing is like an onion with more layers than I could possibly imagine.

Does this raise privacy issues? Sure, licenses contain our home addresses, but tracking all transmits and when we are listening.....

But when you TRANSMIT....you are trying to be heard.....

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 03:52:49 PM »

You can certainly setup a PO Box for your FCC license if it's a concern.

I think you are looking at it backwards.  Generally I WANT people to know I was heard all the way in Jakarta Indonesia.  You can toggle off spotting, so you don't log stations you copy, but if you get on the air you should assume the entire world can hear you.  It builds confidence and credibility as you add contacts and reach new places.

Like driving down the highway, or walking in a city park, you have no expectation of privacy while out in public.  Behave accordingly :)

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 05:53:55 PM »
But when you TRANSMIT....you are trying to be heard.....

I certainly want to be heard, but I don't necessarily want to be automatically tracked. I was thinking more of bulk meta data collection. When, how often, on what frequencies, etc etc. I can think of a few nefarious uses of this. But, I can also think of many cool things as well.

*sigh* Tradeoffs abound.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 08:06:07 PM »
I certainly want to be heard, but I don't necessarily want to be automatically tracked. I was thinking more of bulk meta data collection. When, how often, on what frequencies, etc etc. I can think of a few nefarious uses of this. But, I can also think of many cool things as well.

*sigh* Tradeoffs abound.

Ham is not a channelized mode and has so much space that the odds are slim you will be found out...

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 12:56:11 PM »
Ham is not a channelized mode and has so much space that the odds are slim you will be found out...

This will become apparent after some time on the air.

Offline DonC

• Survivor
  • We have met the Enemy and he is us......
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 07:54:32 PM »
No offense meant!! I've read your concerns and though they may be valid, consider the fact that you can be and probably are tracked daily and probably don't think about it. Cellphones, Internet IPs, OnStar, GPS devices, etc! So, being "tracked" by HAM radio should be the least of your worries! YOU'RE NEVER FULLY SECURED! SOMEONE'S ALWAYS WATCHING! You just need to be vigilant!

I agree with SH and Carl, you want people to contact you in the HAM universe! That's what it's all about! Look at it from this perspective. You're in a catastrophe and you need medical assistance or need to be rescued, wouldn't you want them to know where you're at? I would. Do you necessarily want someone in S.W. Asia or Russia to know exactly where you live? Probably not. But your biggest threat would be in your own back yard! STS!