Author Topic: cabbage worms  (Read 1987 times)

Offline yrone

• Senior Survivalist
cabbage worms
« on: May 23, 2009, 08:02:06 AM »
Wife says "Hey look you have white butterflies flying around your plants"

I say "Oh awesome, I have beneficial bugs and a whole little ecosystem in my garden!"

Boy was I wrong, these little boogers are chowing down on my brussel sprout leaves hard! I'm going out to get some neem oil today from lowes and hopefully the plants can recover. Anyone have experience with these pests? I've seen numerous ideas such as sprinkle the leaves with flour and salt but I need something I know will work because these guys are doing serious damage quickly. Also saw in the Vegetable Gardeners Bible that garlic oil works as well. Not sure where to get that from though.

Wish me luck!

Offline FreeSpirit

• Survivor
  • Freedom has its $
Re: cabbage worms
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 10:43:49 AM »
you are not alone. I pulled about 45+ off my leaves yesterday. These guys are hungry. A persistent pest. The war is one for me also.!!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:(

Offline FreeSpirit

• Survivor
  • Freedom has its $
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 02:03:40 PM »
I am sectioning off some plants and will try NEEM today. Those little worms are hard to see and I am tired of chasing moths and picking off worms. The garlic and pepper mix seems to slow them down, but did not stop them. I read about using Bacillus Thuringiensis, a natural bacterium, gives good control against cabbage worms. It is also known as, Dipel or Thuricide. It supposedly works best on small caterpillars, and should be applied in late afternoon.

Anyone have experience or comments?

Offline yrone

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 07:34:54 AM »
Well yesterday I put 1 cup vegetable oil and 1 tbsp dish detergent and shook it up. Then put 1tbsp of this mixture into a spray bottle with water. Sprayed it on the leaves as best I could top and bottom. Made the leaves waxy looking. Its been raining here But wanted to try that to see if it had any effect before putting anything else on. I got all seasons spray oil which I'll use next if needed because I cant find neem oil around here. Theres stuff like sevin  dust but I dont want to break out the big guns just yet. Good luck!!

Offline FreeSpirit

• Survivor
  • Freedom has its $
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 07:57:50 AM »
I was unable to locate Bacillus Thuringiensis locally but did get some NEEM concentrate locally at Lowes. It is amazing how many worms I got in just two days. Those little critters are hungry. Good luck to you also. I may try oil on the backs of a few leaves and measure the difference.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 12:47:22 AM »
Dust the leaves with DE (Diatomaceous earth)?