Author Topic: Prepper pizza anyone?  (Read 7728 times)

endurance

Prepper pizza anyone?
« on: March 24, 2016, 12:18:13 PM »
I'm curious if anyone has ever tried this or anything like it?

http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/mobile/product.aspx?ProductCode=ZF%5FPIZZAKIT&Click=14853

Looks interesting. It's not cheap for the calories, but it seems like a good morale booster food to have around.

d3nni5

Re: Prepper pizza anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 01:49:14 PM »
I wonder how they do the cheese for shelf stability?

Offline Special K

• Survivor
  • Confused...Mostley...I think...
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 02:01:30 PM »
QUICK! Some design a universal fit 12" pizza baking attachment for our rocket stoves! Extra points for tacti-cool-ness. Now about that LTS shelf stable pepperoni...  ;D

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 02:11:51 PM »
The cheese must be freeze dried, right?

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 02:20:41 PM »
Just checked honeyville

One #10 can of freeze dried mozzarella is $35. each can of Freeze Dried Mozzarella Cheese is the equivalent of about 7 pounds of fresh mozzarella cheese.

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 02:46:38 PM »
Didn't think I'd be buying a #10 can of freeze dried cheese when I woke up this morning....but..I did ::)

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 10:41:21 AM »
The nice thing about the packets is they won't have to be used quickly like if you open a #10. $10 for 10 pizzas isn't too bad.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 10:42:52 PM »
I've been trying to go back on my pseudo-paleo diet, but now I'm craving venison sausage and pepperoni deep dish.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 06:16:14 PM »
I'm thinking about buying this as well, so if anyone tastes it please let me know.

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 04:12:35 PM »
Maybe I am missing something, but why not just store flour, yeast, salt, tomato sauce, and waxed cheese? The ingredients are much cheaper, and already shelf stable.

For those of you interested in my personal shelf stable homemade pizza dough recipe: (Recipe makes 3 large pizzas)

Combine the shelf stable ingredients in a bag below:
3 1/2 cups of Whole wheat flour (Leave some extra in a separate bag for handling)
3/4 tablespoon of granulated yeast or 1 packet
1/2 tablespoon of kosher salt or course sea salt
1/8 cup of Bob's vital wheat Gluten (I think we get it at Fred Meyer or Safeway)
------------------------
When ready to prepare, mix in the following and set aside for 2 hours to rise:
1 3/4 cup of Luke warm water (About 40% of a Nalgene Bottle)
1/4 cup of olive oil (one mini bar liquor bottle)

Pizza Sauce (Store bought jar or Dehydrated)

To make the dehydrated marinara sauce:
Dehydrator-lay a sheet of plastic wrap  or parchment paper down over a dehydrator rack.Pour jar of marina over rack and spread evenly. dehydrate for 12 hours on 150. To Re-hydrate just add water (maybe a 1/3 of a Nalgene  bottle) and stir until it thickens back into sauce form.

This can also be done in and oven but you may have to Google the times

Rolling out the dough
Use the extra flour to prevent things from sticking, and roll out dough on a pizza stone or pan.

Toppings
Whatever you like. Enjoy

Waxed cheese can last up to 30 years, or you could try making  your own Mozzarella using milk and rennet tabs.

Also kukri's make excellent Pizza Cutters.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 04:18:45 PM by Black November »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 05:04:43 AM »
Make mine PREPPERONI...yum :popcorn:

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 09:59:09 AM »
How long could you store the yeast and other ingredients? The cheese is expensive at Emergency Essentials and the advantage I see in the kits is they are individually sealed and there wouldn't have to be much thought or effort put into making them. They are measured out and should last 25 years. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 10:10:10 AM »
I have often used a tortilla type of flatbread mix without yeast and had good results ,even with ketchup and string cheese in packages  and added jerky or pepperoni ...all but the flour come in small, non refrigerated packaging ...and a little coconut oil for cooking.

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 11:18:16 AM »
Yeast can be made from Wheat Flour. And Whole Wheat can be stored for years, and milled into flour as needed.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 11:36:22 AM »
I need to learn how to make yeast from wheat flour ASAP.

endurance

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 11:37:29 AM »
I like the convenience of it. Beyond that, storing anything in #10 cans is great up to the point you open them. At that point the clock starts ticking. Tomato sauce rarely keeps long term because the acidity damages the can's liner. Frankly, buying a kit like this would be a fun morale booster that doesn't take much effort and would provide consistent results... Assuming one had a way to bake at the time. I'm a little leery of trying it in a Dutch oven.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 11:47:57 AM »
I like the convenience of it. Beyond that, storing anything in #10 cans is great up to the point you open them. At that point the clock starts ticking. Tomato sauce rarely keeps long term because the acidity damages the can's liner. Frankly, buying a kit like this would be a fun morale booster that doesn't take much effort and would provide consistent results... Assuming one had a way to bake at the time. I'm a little leery of trying it in a Dutch oven.
Exactly my thoughts as well. I have a Coleman oven that fits on top of my SilverFire. I'm sure it would work with a rocket stove made out of a few bricks.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000016462-Camp-Oven/dp/B0009PURJA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459360047&sr=8-1&keywords=coleman+oven

I bought it after watching this. You can skip to 3 min to watch the oven:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y86TSt1kTrg

endurance

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 01:49:33 PM »
Exactly my thoughts as well. I have a Coleman oven that fits on top of my SilverFire. I'm sure it would work with a rocket stove made out of a few bricks.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000016462-Camp-Oven/dp/B0009PURJA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459360047&sr=8-1&keywords=coleman+oven

I bought it after watching this. You can skip to 3 min to watch the oven:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y86TSt1kTrg
Ordered the oven. I'd seen something similar years ago but it was a lot more expensive. That seems perfect to use with a pizza stone and have hot pizza on the playa at Burning Man. Woo-hoo! 

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 02:19:26 PM »
You can even skip the yeast all together by making a unleavened flat bread like roti.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 04:43:08 PM »
Yeast can be made from Wheat Flour. And Whole Wheat can be stored for years, and milled into flour as needed.

that is making a sourdough starter from yeast that is existing in the air and on ground up wheat kernels themselves.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 05:05:00 PM »
For alternative leavening, I recommend watching Jas.Townsend's youtube channel for old baking techniques (using stuff like potash and so on)

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2016, 09:24:41 PM »
Ordered the oven. I'd seen something similar years ago but it was a lot more expensive. That seems perfect to use with a pizza stone and have hot pizza on the playa at Burning Man. Woo-hoo!
:) I hope you enjoy it.

Offline AnnsSolo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2016, 08:30:58 PM »
I'm not sure how long rennet lasts, but mozzarella can be made from powdered milk. Microwave mozzarella is sort of the beginner's intro to cheese-making. Powdered milk may be even more reliable than trying to learn it from grocery store milk (which half the time has been over pasteurized and won't work. We use only raw or powdered milk for cheese-making for this reason). Once learned, it's not that hard to step up to a not-microwaved process. It's going to take a lot of hot water, so it's not something to do all that often in a crisis, but definitely a doable thing from LTS. And fun.

Have a plan to use the whey. Cheese is mostly protein. The whey has a lot of milk sugars in it that are good to bake with, and I've heard of using it in soups and powdered lemonade-type drinks. although truth be told, I mostly soak grains with it to feed to the chickens. One gallon of milk will give you a little over a pound of cheese, leaving roughly seven pounds of whey, most of a gallon, so you don't want to waste it.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 10:11:12 AM »
I enjoy these seemingly complex preparedness topics that have often been resolved by 11 year old boy scouts. 

You can make almost anything on a camp fire.  Just stock up on lots of foil.

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/campfire-cooking-recipes/

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2016, 12:08:25 PM »
Pininterest will nto allow you look without ome sort of loggin, so i googled "Campfire pizza"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uINSHRPjc_w