Poll

Which Subjects Do you Vote For in for TSP Tuesday Show on April, 11th, 18th and 25th

Setting Up a Remote Property (BOL - Hunting - Rereation)
113 (14.7%)
Small Scale Food Forestry (1/4 - 1 acrea)
201 (26.1%)
Investing in Gold and Silver
74 (9.6%)
Making and Using Herbal Medicines
159 (20.7%)
How to Talk to Friends and Family about Prepping without Looking Like a Loon
96 (12.5%)
Outdoor Cooking - Grilling, Smoking and More
126 (16.4%)

Total Members Voted: 289

Voting closed: April 12, 2016, 09:27:53 AM

Author Topic: Help Choose the Next Three Tuesday Shows  (Read 6548 times)

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
Help Choose the Next Three Tuesday Shows
« on: April 05, 2016, 09:27:53 AM »
You can select up to three answers, the poll will close next Tuesday the 11th. 

Shows will be published in order from the one with the most votes beginning on the 11th.

The three losers will be kicked to May's poll along with three new topics. 

In the event that third place gets a tie, I will break the tie with a coin toss.  Unless someone gives me a better idea.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 12:37:25 PM by ModernSurvival »
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

"If some of our teenage thrill seeker really want to go out and get a thrill.  Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear  or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul".  ~ Fred Bear

Offline Da Li

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Help Choose the Next Three Tuesday Shows
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 11:28:59 AM »
Request for the "outdoor cooking" topic (if it makes it through the vote)....

A Solar cooking and dehydrating segment covering:

Types of solar cookers and dehydrators
Pros/cons comparisons of different cookers and dehydrators
Any conversion principles for "Traditional" recipes when using a solar cooker
Adjusting for seasonal changes of the sun angle
etc. etc.

Thanks!!
--Da
Sometimes the best thing that can happen is for your phone to die....

Offline Teeroy

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 03:01:54 PM »
Is it possible to cover getting cuttings or transplants from the wild to help build your FOOD FOREST or BOL. More precisely proper harvesting, transport, rooting (if necessary), planting and timing. Also any types of plants that lend well to being neglected at a BOL.

“Sometimes, making the wrong choice is better than making no choice. You have the courage to go forward, that is rare. A person who stands at the fork, unable to pick, will never get anywhere.”
― Terry Goodkind, Wizard's First Rule
“If something is wrong, it matters not if a thousand men are for it; you must still oppose it. If something is just, no amount of popular outcry should stay you from your course.”
― Terry Goodkind, Naked Empire

Offline threebarracing

• Prepper
    • Hank's Holster Review
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 03:31:25 PM »
Neat idea, Jack!  I've voted on these and for a suggestion, may I propose a discussion on bullet "types".  For example, why are certain bullets used in different hunting and self-defense situations? (i.e. round nose, semi jacketed, hard-cast, fmj, etc.).  For that matter, why is penetration desirable in a hunting bullet, but not in a self-defense round.  Some of us know some of the answers, but can always benefit from your insight.   Thanks!
Darren Dawes
(aka "Hank")

http://hanks-holster-review.com
Hank's Holster Review.  Please take my holsters, but not my guns!

Offline EricM313

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 04:37:27 PM »
Very neat idea Jack, I feel so empowered...

If the food forest topic is selected I would love to hear some specific technique items that would apply to most people.  Such as, "I am staring at a grass field where I want a quarter acre food forest will one day be.  I don't have unlimited budget.  What should I do to stifle the grass?  Should I plant very spaced out and plan to put more plants in the middle, or the other way; plant very close and just expand as finances allow?"

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 07:13:19 PM »
Grafting?! Have old sorta orchard.
New Chestnut trees any good? Apparently deer love them.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 07:48:52 PM »
good idea Jack!

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Matthew from Gooseneck Ga

• Prepper
  • "Youth is wasted on the young." george bernard sh
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 09:37:41 PM »
Setting up a remote property
Thanks

Offline Duckman

• Prepper
  • Strictly motivated by rage!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 12:51:39 AM »
I'm writing on Ron Paul as I do in all voting situations.
Quality of life is a paycheck in itself.

Offline GSL68028

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 02:09:16 AM »
Investing in Gold and Silver including how to sell when the time comes

Small scale food forestry

Medicinal plants

Offline toothpickrose

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Help Choose the Next Three Tuesday Shows: How about, Foraging for food?
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 04:47:21 AM »
Jack, I think this audience needs to learn more about Foraging from the wild.(The original food forest.)

You touched on it in yesterday's show about Food Storage, but I think having an in-depth show/shows about foraging for food would make for a great series. I've recently begun foraging myself and it just blows my mind at all the possibilities of edibles out there once you become interested enough to learn how to not eat something that might kill you!  I love just walking in the woods anyway, and I figure, while I'm out there, why don't I pick up a few greens and mushrooms and make an incredibly nutritious meal. I'd love to hear you and maybe some experts such as Marjory Wildcraft, Tradd Cotter (Mushroom Mountain) teach us more about foraging and as you suggested yesterday, encouraging edible plants in your backyard food forest.  Keep up the great work you are doing. We all appreciate it, and you.  Thanks

Offline CandyBabyE

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 07:17:28 AM »
My vote : medicinal herbs
                 Outdoor cooking
                 Talking to friends and family

Short and sweet.  I hate typing on my phone.
The mind is the primary weapon. But I keep my 9mm handy as back up.

Offline flower

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 08:18:37 AM »
It would be interesting to have your viewpoint about having a pond at a remote location and keeping it stocked with fish and/or attracting wild ducks.

And what would be the smallest viable pond for same on a small urban lot? i.e. if one was out of town for extended periods of time.
Member's Support Brigade Member

Offline Tclusmc

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Thoughts Re: Help Choose the Next Three Tuesday Shows
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 11:11:13 AM »
If/when small scale food forestry makes it I would be interested to know, under the presumption of a very limited budget ($100-300/month) 1-After I figure out what I want where do I start??? What processes will make this as economical as possible so I am not readressing issues down the road that are preventable? 2-How should I use a propagation bench to the best advantage given that some of us live in a high desert (ut) where propagation doesnt seem to work as well as in the rest of the world??

Offline RationalHusker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 11:39:33 AM »
Topic suggestion:  How to not outsmart yourself making financial decisions.  Explanation:  I consider my financial IQ high.  I understand things like options investing (calls, puts, etc.), my financial vocabulary is relatively large, and I can do math.  Yet I have a very hard time filtering financial news and market trends.  How do you learn what to heed and what is garbage from sources like Zero Hedge, Martin Armstrong, Chris Maertenson, Charles Hughes Smith, Jim Rickards, etc.  I'm lacking something in this regard.

Offline Davew223

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 06:59:54 PM »
Jack, I think this audience needs to learn more about Foraging from the wild.(The original food forest.)

You touched on it in yesterday's show about Food Storage, but I think having an in-depth show/shows about foraging for food would make for a great series. I've recently begun foraging myself and it just blows my mind at all the possibilities of edibles out there once you become interested enough to learn how to not eat something that might kill you!  I love just walking in the woods anyway, and I figure, while I'm out there, why don't I pick up a few greens and mushrooms and make an incredibly nutritious meal. I'd love to hear you and maybe some experts such as Marjory Wildcraft, Tradd Cotter (Mushroom Mountain) teach us more about foraging and as you suggested yesterday, encouraging edible plants in your backyard food forest.  Keep up the great work you are doing. We all appreciate it, and you.  Thanks

Second this but I would rather have this topic be an interview show with "Green Dean."  He would be a great addition to the Expert Council.

Offline Davew223

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 07:02:05 PM »

Second this but I would rather have this topic be an interview show with "Green Dean."  He would be a great addition to the Expert Council.

Offline kypharmer

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 06:52:08 AM »
The more I learn about herbal meds and foraging the less I trust the medicines I supply as a cog in the big pharma machine.  Thanks to some crazy TX duck farmer I'm now sipping on a calming decoction of mainly lemon balm to relax after getting pounded at the hospital.  In the past 2 years I have reduced my antibiotic use to zero, NSAID use to ~ 5%, antihistamine use to <5% in spite of increased injuries and significant stratospheric geoengineering in the area.  In the past week I have used as superfood foraging or mild medicine comfrey, lemon balm, spicebush, heal-all, garlic, garlic chives, cilantro, cayenne pepper, violet flowers and leaves, hemlock needles(tea), redbud flowers, spearmint, catmint, Pennsylvania bittercress, dandelion, chickweed and more.  best of all, you can eat this shit and just grows back.     

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 08:18:12 AM »
I'd like a foraging show as well.
Specifically:

Why Forage? Somethings you can't or wouldn't want to cultivate on your land. Collecting seed from non-commercialized plants etc.
Where to forage (public, semi-public and private lands). Perhaps resources like https://fallingfruit.org/
The ethics and legality of foraging (regarding overharvesting, "invasives", and just decent practices like carry-in/carry-out policies)
The logic behind searching for a specific item. For example, berries are eaten by birds who roost in trees along the edge of a forest, so seed dispersion is greatest there for berries. Non-fruit seeds will be spread by wind and water, directing your search to those areas, etc.
Putting together a toolkit for foraging. Shears, gloves, a lighter, containers, a hand trowel, a smartphone (GPS plus identification guides) etc.

I was actually doing a write up for this on the forums, but lost it in a browser crash. Without getting into strategies for harvesting specific items, it could be difficult to do a full length show on just the basics. Most of the information is species specific, much like hunting. However, this would go well with a recap of Guerilla Gardening, as there's a lot of overlap in the practices.

There is still a significant number of people here who are interested in acquiring fruits, nuts and herbs, but have no land to cultivate them. These are the people who are always complaining about the permaculture shows. It's not that they object to the subject matter as much as they have no means of employing the knowledge they acquire in a small apartment. I think foraging could help them bridge the gap between knowledge and experience. It would be something "new" to a lot of listeners, but still have a wide appeal as anyone can practice it.
A good government may, indeed, redress the grievances of an injured people; but a strong people can alone build up a great nation. - Thomas Francis Meagher