Author Topic: What do I need to start camping?  (Read 12282 times)

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
Re: What do I need to start camping?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2016, 04:17:34 PM »
Thanks again guys, I really appreciate all of the info!

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2016, 08:33:00 PM »
Outstanding post Black November
I'll add to this.  If you forget something that is critical, there will likely be a Walmart, Target, etc within driving distance most of the time.  If you are in a state park or established campground, talk to the other campers.  You will likely be able to borrow whatever you forgot.

Unless you forget the TP and it's an emergency evacuation procedure..... In that case, I recommend cutting off the tops of your socks and/or the bottom of your shirt.  ;D
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2016, 08:02:40 AM »
A friend and I went a couple weekends ago, as I could not turn down an $18 & gas money three day vacation. She had never been camping before, and half my stuff is AWOL or stolen. So I basically tossed together two totes, and a cooler. A tent and my two sleeping bags (in hindsight it was good I took two). Clothes.

1.) You won't use half of the stuff you bring. So don't go crazy buying stuff.

I packed the minimum.. and in about 10 minutes time. I forgot my hatchet, but I had a hammer, so I used the claw end to smuck up kindling for our fire. I bet you probably have most of the things around your place, or can find at garage sales.

2.) If you want to make things easy, make you meals at home ahead of time, and just heat them up like left-overs.

I sent the ingredients to my friend's house, where she cooked up the meats, and then froze them. First night we had tacos with fresh tortilla made on the campfire coals. The frozen meats helped keep the rest of the cooler cold too. Second night we had ham slices. Breakfasts we had good homemade-type sausages and eggs, and pancakes (which did come out a bit doughy -- but we had dogs with us who did not care). I will likely make French Toast next time we go.

3.) Don't become discouraged/overwhelmed when you first start out camping. Camping takes practice, and is much more enjoyable once you become better at it.

I am glad my first-time camping friend didn't get discouraged even though she froze in her lightweight sleeping bag (hence why I was glad I had my other cold weather one for her the second night).. as it did get well below freezing in camp that first night, even if it was 80F later in that day. She learned to make her first fire, put up a tent, how to cook in camp etc.. I was proud of her and she is game to go again. YAY I have someone to go camping with me now!

4.) The point of camping is not to watch TV or play video games in woods, but to enjoy the experience of the woods with friends and family.

My friend took a book to read while she was there, and we were so busy talking, hiking, playing Yahtzee ect, she never did crack open her book the whole weekend.

5.) If you forget something, you will survive. It is not the end of the world.

I forgot a few things.. I was going to write them down, have totally forgotten what we forgot to take with us, and we will probably forget to take the next time too.  ::)

6.) After returning home from a camping trip, take a moment to appreciate all the modern conveniences that you normally take for granted.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh... we were so ready to go back already five minutes after we got back to our respective places LOL...

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2016, 08:48:35 AM »
Unless you forget the TP and it's an emergency evacuation procedure..... In that case, I recommend cutting off the tops of your socks and/or the bottom of your shirt.  ;D

We call that a "Sockrifice"  ;)

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2016, 10:56:26 AM »

Been there....I've gone home with one less sock before.   
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2016, 11:23:10 PM »

6.) After returning home from a camping trip, take a moment to appreciate all the modern conveniences that you normally take for granted.   

Like not living with spiders, mosquitoes, horse flies....

Offline stopthat

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2016, 03:58:33 PM »
Hey All,

I am a little late to this post, so hopefully you've already experienced a camping trip by now! But I wanted to give my two cents for first time campers. This is not for experienced guys. I survive on a lot less many times, but you choose your battles. If you are camping with a newbie, especially if the newbie is your spouse, make the camping experience easy. That is more important on the first trip than making it a "real" camping experience.

I think the key to getting into anything is to have fun and do not overwhelm yourself. Just like gardening, hunting, or any other skill, it takes some time to feel comfortable at it. Really focus on making this easy for your family, even if it feels less "camping-ish".  You should make sure your wife and kids have generally "positive" experiences on this first outing. The last thing you want is a horrible first day or two, if that happens, you can likely say goodbye to camping with the family forever.

Make it simple, and not too far out. Try going to a local state park with good facilities. Check the reviews on a private camp ground and see what they offer. Make sure they have clean bathrooms with flush toilets. Not much scares new campers away from the activity faster than a stinky bathroom every morning.

Tent
If you know someone with a tent, ask to borrow it. This makes it much simpler. If you can, borrow two tents if your kids are older. If they are under ten, just stay in the same tent for this first trip. While your at it, ask your friend to borrow a screen house to setup over the picnic table on site.

Sleeping situation
Bring sleeping bags if you have them. Otherwise just use sheets and blankets. They won't get that dirty. It is not like you are sleeping on the ground outside. So don't worry about that. I would highly recommend a cot for the adults if possible. If not, get an air mattress. Once again, borrow this if possible. Most campers would love to loan their equipment to friends.

Bring Pillows! Everyone forgets these and you should not. If you use two pillows at home, bring two. This is doubly true for your camping wife.

Eating/Cooking
The key here is to keep it simple on this first outing. Bring ready made foods or plan on going out. I would avoid cooler stuff as much as possible (other than for drinks). That means if you drink milk, you go buy those Organic Valley Ultra Pasteurized milk containers. They come in 8oz portions and are shelf stable until opened. They cost a little more, but save tons of headaches with ice and stuff.

For breakfast, eat granola bars or cereal (with aforementioned milk). Some also prefer trail mix. If you must have meat with your breakfast, get the precooked packaged shelf stable bacon. They sell it at aldi and other grocery stores.  It tastes great. We use this method while travelling on the road because we often stop at rest areas and sleep for the night before getting back on the road. We keep prep times to a minimum.

For some, coffee is a must. If possible, go buy some Frappaccino in bottles or just bring along a lot of soda to drink. Yes, it is not healthy, but neither is running into a momma bear that has not had her caffeine fix that morning!

For lunches, go out to eat if you can afford it. If not, bring some summer sausage, cheese, and crackers. Or bring some other food items that are less perishable. Make sure you bring more than enough of this non-refrigerated stuff.

For dinner, bring some hotdog roasting forks and have hotdogs and smores. Again, cleanup will be minimal. Be sure to bring ketchup (did you know it is shelf stable even after opening?)

Dishes
Use disposable dishes. Plastic bowls and such work great in most situations. Plastic silverware is also essential.

Things to do
If you are at a state park (or national park) take a tour from the rangers. If you don't know when the tours are, check at the camp office when you check in.
Stop by a tourist office or stop in a hotel lobby and pick up some brochures. They are filled with good activities.
If you hike (and you should), do a short hike, like a mile. And bring water and snacks with. Make it fun and leave them wanting more.

Misc
Bring bug spray.
Bring stocking caps for at night. If you get cold, put it on and it will do wonders.
If you have only one pair of shoes to bring, make it a pair of tennis shoes.
Borrow a trailer from a friend if you need room to haul stuff for your trip. If you don't have friends, rent one off craigslist for cheap.

Offline notmyrealname

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2016, 06:46:08 AM »
OK, I wil give you a quick run down of the stuff we use when camping.  You can pare down this list to make it simpler if you want.  We camp kind of heavy, but -- we are very comfortable camping.

Tent -- we bought a kind of pricey Eureka mansard 8 2 room tent. 
Ha ha, here it is via a tspaz.com link:
https://www.amazon.com/Eureka-LIB370635-Mansard-8-Tent/dp/B004R1J356/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467290453&sr=8-1&keywords=eureka+mansard+8

It's been a good tent.  You want something that will resist rain and is pretty easy to set up.

Long list of other things

-- tarp to set tent on top of
-- pop up garbage can and garbage bags
-- table cloth and clips to cover picnic tables
-- camp chairs
-- fire starter log
-- axe / hammer combo tool
-- we take camping plates and in fact a whole camping kitchen thing called a grubby buddy that my husband built:
http://www.blueskykitchen.com/Grubby_Two.html

We also take a propane gas 2 burner stove.  We might be glampers
https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Explorer-EX-60LW-2-Burner/dp/B0006VORDY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467290646&sr=8-1&keywords=camp+chef+stove

The minivan gets very full with all this.

2 coolers

Water jugs and a 5 gallon bucket

Sand toys for kids

Bikes

Snacks and food for a couple days

Small air pads for under sleeping bags

Sunscreen / insect repellant, etc.

My husband uses an REI camping packing list.  I need to get this today because we're camping this weekend.
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/family-camping-checklist.html

Have fun!  You can get stuff used on Craigslist, etc.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2016, 07:02:18 AM »
It often takes an RV and a big trailer to get away from it all these days, especially when you try to take it all with you ::)
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline stopthat

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2016, 10:42:29 AM »
It often takes an RV and a big trailer to get away from it all these days, especially when you try to take it all with you ::)

Now once you get experienced, try to lighten up the load a bit. But you do not want to travel too light with a first time camper usually. You want an easy introduction.

When we go hunting by the Canadian border, we survive on much much less. No heat, often 0 degrees Fahrenheit... We bring a canvas tent, and sleep in Surplus Military Sleep System bags with Gortex bivvy sacs. They keep you toasty and out in the cold while you sleep. But if you take a beginning camper into that, they will probably kill you, steal your car, and never set foot in the forest again.

Offline ridge rover

• Survivor
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2016, 11:19:43 PM »
Binky, please give us a progress report.

aka "Survival Sully"

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2016, 12:54:36 PM »
Binky, please give us a progress report.

Not much progress to report. I lost/left my job in February and just recently got a new one. I haven't done anything camping wise because the funds were not and still aren't available. I started this thread in order to get ideas and plan for what we would need. I've got several friends with families that camp so we'll eventually be getting some gear and all going together. There have been some great ideas and suggestions in this thread and I plan to make use of them when the time comes to go down this road.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2016, 01:48:28 PM »
 I used to go for day hikes and then take a nap. I have a hammock sort of like this one. I would hike out in the woods, set it up between two trees and take a nap for awhile. That way I would feel rested and could hike some more. Otherwise I might feel tired and want to head home early.

It's not exactly camping but kind of along a similar idea and a good way to enjoy the day outside. Some of these hammocks are ultra light and fit easily into a day pack. I forget exactly which one I had .. You can also get small bivy sacks etc but the hannock is the best for summer and nice weather.

This worked well when I lived in a condo and wanted to spend more time outdoors without necessarily making an entire weekend out of it. When I lived in the condo, I had no yard, no garden etc. I moved out of there 3.5 years ago

http://www.tripsurvival.com/product/adventure-gear-outfitter-backpacking-hammock-with-mosquito-net-and-free-tree-straps-ultralight-and-strong-ripstop-nylon-single-camping-hammock

" Strong hammock made to hold 1 person as much as 400lb
    Strong and lightweight 210 ripstop nylon
    triple stitching for strong seams
    Carabiner holds up to 770lb
    COMPLIMENTARY strong 500lb limitation lightweight tree straps
    Elastic suspension cable for netting.
    Hammock is 9.5  feet long by 4.7 legs wide
    Mesh mosquito net
    Suspension loops for mosquito web are tree strap material. Made to hold.
    Just 1.7lb including every thing – Hammock – line – Mosquito web – Carabiner – Tree Straps -Elastic Suspension Cord.
    Stuff sack included and attached to hammock.
    Multiple makes use of – While created for backpacking and camping you can always utilize it into the yard and. You can even turn the hammock upside down not to make use of the mosquito web. "

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 01:54:34 PM by surfivor »

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2016, 05:13:17 PM »
Oh man, camping season is still two months away here and already I'm feeling the Call of the Woods.

Think I'll go brew a percolator of chicory coffee and watch Blair Witch Project (my favorite camping movie, believe it or not) for the umpteenth time, while dreaming of the cooler weather to come.

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.

endurance

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2016, 09:08:27 AM »
After returning from a 26 day backpacking trip where I went ultralight, carrying no more than 22 pounds the entire trip (except one two day stretch with no good water where I had ten-plus pounds of water), I'd bring a shovel next time. No, not for latrine duties, but for the gosh darn mosquitoes. Before I left I treated all my clothes with permethrin. Just in case, I brought some 99% DEET. By the end of the trip I wanted a shovel. Those little bastards can be relentless, especially when you stop to eat. There were actually times I found it easier to stop and set up my tent for lunch than to try to eat while actively swatting the little vampires. Unfortunately, my tent was entirely too small to cook in, so I went days between cooked meals (which I planned for, just in case I was too tired... Which I was, in general). 

So, just in case, bring a shovel... And helmets for the kids just in case you go a little mad... Which happens from time to time in mosquito country.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2016, 05:08:37 PM »
I used to go for day hikes and then take a nap. I have a hammock sort of like this one. I would hike out in the woods, set it up between two trees and take a nap for awhile. That way I would feel rested and could hike some more. Otherwise I might feel tired and want to head home early.

It's not exactly camping but kind of along a similar idea and a good way to enjoy the day outside. Some of these hammocks are ultra light and fit easily into a day pack. I forget exactly which one I had .. You can also get small bivy sacks etc but the hannock is the best for summer and nice weather.

This worked well when I lived in a condo and wanted to spend more time outdoors without necessarily making an entire weekend out of it. When I lived in the condo, I had no yard, no garden etc. I moved out of there 3.5 years ago

http://www.tripsurvival.com/product/adventure-gear-outfitter-backpacking-hammock-with-mosquito-net-and-free-tree-straps-ultralight-and-strong-ripstop-nylon-single-camping-hammock

" Strong hammock made to hold 1 person as much as 400lb
    Strong and lightweight 210 ripstop nylon
    triple stitching for strong seams
    Carabiner holds up to 770lb
    COMPLIMENTARY strong 500lb limitation lightweight tree straps
    Elastic suspension cable for netting.
    Hammock is 9.5  feet long by 4.7 legs wide
    Mesh mosquito net
    Suspension loops for mosquito web are tree strap material. Made to hold.
    Just 1.7lb including every thing – Hammock – line – Mosquito web – Carabiner – Tree Straps -Elastic Suspension Cord.
    Stuff sack included and attached to hammock.
    Multiple makes use of – While created for backpacking and camping you can always utilize it into the yard and. You can even turn the hammock upside down not to make use of the mosquito web. "

Hammocks are easy and cheap to make. Mom sewed up something similar to what's above for my boy. I sewed the underquilt together, still need to finish the suspension points on it. The bug net will keep the skeeter's out and the quilt should keep him warm to ~50 Fahrenheit without a sleeping bag. It's also double layered on the bottom so the skeeter's can't bite through, and it formed a pocket for a sleeping pad if some extra insulation is needed....or it's not cool enough to carry the underquilt. I'd guess I have less than $50 in the hammock and less than $100 in the whole setup. You won't find anything equivalent for less than 2-3 times that.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2016, 07:06:22 AM »
After returning from a 26 day backpacking trip where I went ultralight, carrying no more than 22 pounds the entire trip (except one two day stretch with no good water where I had ten-plus pounds of water), I'd bring a shovel next time. No, not for latrine duties, but for the gosh darn mosquitoes. Before I left I treated all my clothes with permethrin. Just in case, I brought some 99% DEET. By the end of the trip I wanted a shovel. Those little bastards can be relentless, especially when you stop to eat. There were actually times I found it easier to stop and set up my tent for lunch than to try to eat while actively swatting the little vampires. Unfortunately, my tent was entirely too small to cook in, so I went days between cooked meals (which I planned for, just in case I was too tired... Which I was, in general). 

So, just in case, bring a shovel... And helmets for the kids just in case you go a little mad... Which happens from time to time in mosquito country.

Where did you do a 26 day trip ?

endurance

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2016, 07:31:55 AM »
Where did you do a 26 day trip ?
The Colorado Trail. I hiked 431 miles of it before tweaking an ankle and having to get off for a rest. Im hoping to return to finish it before the snow flies.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2016, 07:49:36 AM »
The Colorado Trail. I hiked 431 miles of it before tweaking an ankle and having to get off for a rest. Im hoping to return to finish it before the snow flies.

Who did you go with ?

endurance

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2016, 07:51:16 AM »
Who did you go with ?
Me, myself and i

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2016, 07:53:10 AM »
1  a place to go and time to do it
2  cover from the elements,proper clothing,sleep gear
3  Water,water filter
4  food and cook pot , fire ,knife,first aide ( for you or others)
5  extra stuff to occupy your mind and weight down your pack

Get used to your chosen gear in short,backyard campouts till easy to set up and meets your comfort level.
Remember ,campfires are often discouraged and a contained fire/stove is a convenient necessity in many areas
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2016, 06:23:06 PM »
Me, myself and i

The Ink Spots - "We Three."  And yes, this really is the kind of music I listen to (among others), especially when I'm on my bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOhtZdINkY0