Author Topic: Yeasu VX-7r and Chrip  (Read 2756 times)

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Yeasu VX-7r and Chrip
« on: May 06, 2016, 07:16:10 AM »
I have recently found that it seems that CHIRP kills the button functions after being programed. 

I did a reset yesterday and functions like scan, WX and such returned.  New programming in, and now - they don't.

Anyone with the VX-7r have similar issues with CHIRP?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: Yeasu VX-7r and Chrip
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 07:37:36 AM »
I'm not familiar with the VX-7 myself, but when I programmed my FT-2900 with CHIRP, it defaulted all the memories to HIGH (75 watt) power.  I paid my 10 year old $1 to manually set 80+ channels to LOW.   ;D

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 07:40:00 AM »
I'm not familiar with the VX-7 myself, but when I programmed my FT-2900 with CHIRP, it defaulted all the memories to HIGH (75 watt) power.  I paid my 10 year old $1 to manually set 80+ channels to LOW.   ;D

Yea,.. this is more that just setting it to high.  This is lost of functionality.  I'm still fooling around to see if there is soemthing I have missed.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 11:44:56 AM »
As my brother has the VX-7r also, we have been going through different builds of the CHIRP and IMG files.

Seems I may have some how managed to get a corrupted IMG file,

There also seems to be a build issue,.. we have had to go back to the April 15th build to work.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 12:04:36 PM »
Chirp is an odd beast, because it has to be.

Radios like the Baofengs all hardware settings to be downloaded into the IMG.

Usually the big brand radios only allow channel memories to be part of the IMG.

What I ALWAYS do when working with a new radio, is first download the radio memory, and use that as a basis for editing.
Even if I download a repeater directory in chirp format, I'll export to MS Excel and cut/copy/paste the rows that way.

Maybe that's a bit anal, but I haven't bricked a chinese HT yet :)

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 02:36:52 PM »
No so worried about bricking a Wouxon or Baofeng.  But my Kenwood and Yeasu.. that is a different thing all together.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 09:26:49 AM »
No so worried about bricking a Wouxon or Baofeng.  But my Kenwood and Yeasu.. that is a different thing all together.

Last fall at a Boy Scout merit badge workshop, I met one of the volunteers who's day job is a developer at Microsoft - but he's also a contributor on the CHIRP project.  He explained a bit how the different radio makes are setup from a software perspective.

Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom do not allow downloading of system settings and what you might loosely call "firmware".  In general you cannot "brick" one of those radios using CHIRP, since only channel memory data is able to be TX or RX via the programming cable interface.

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 12:38:41 PM »
What I ALWAYS do when working with a new radio, is first download the radio memory, and use that as a basis for editing.
Even if I download a repeater directory in chirp format, I'll export to MS Excel and cut/copy/paste the rows that way.

This is the way I do it too.  Every time I've deviated from it, I've had problems.