Author Topic: Yaesu FT-891  (Read 17322 times)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Yaesu FT-891
« on: May 21, 2016, 07:09:11 AM »
Sneak peek at Dayton.  It looks a lot like an updated FT-857D, minus the 2m & 440 bands:
http://qrznow.com/yaesu-ft-891-hf6m-mobile-transceiver/

This is the first I've seen or heard of this creature.  Random comments from what can be gleaned from the article, and a few random thoughts:
  • Dumping the VHF & UHF bands is probably a good move.  I hear it's hard to build and keep working a single RF amp that will do 160m to 440.  Besides, doesn't everybody have a 2m/440 HT that mostly just sits around?
  • On the box label it says triple conversion receiver and 3kHz roofing filter.  That looks like a big step up from the 857.  Mine pretty well blanks out if anybody nearby at field day keys down in the same band where I'm working.
  • DSP is done at the IF level, an improvement over the 857D's AF DSP.
  • Of course it comes out just when I get my 857 all dialed in... ::)
  • Will SCW please give us a hands-on report from Dayton?   :)
  • Wonder what the price will be?
  • Watch for blow-out sales on existing stocks of the 857's.
Anybody else have anything on this new mini-transceiver?

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
Re: Yaesu FT-891
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 11:59:39 AM »
Nice. I need to get off my butt and study for the general exam. That looks like a great radio.

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 09:16:39 PM »
Sneak peek at Dayton.  It looks a lot like an updated FT-857D, minus the 2m & 440 bands:
http://qrznow.com/yaesu-ft-891-hf6m-mobile-transceiver/

This is the first I've seen or heard of this creature.  Random comments from what can be gleaned from the article, and a few random thoughts:
  • Dumping the VHF & UHF bands is probably a good move.  I hear it's hard to build and keep working a single RF amp that will do 160m to 440.  Besides, doesn't everybody have a 2m/440 HT that mostly just sits around?

But how many of those 2m/440 HTs do SSB?

Jerseyboy[/list]

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 11:58:08 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 06:15:47 AM »
    But how many of those 2m/440 HTs do SSB?

Jerseyboy[/list]

I have never seen the HT that was SSB CAPABLE as there is a lot of extra electronics and stability need for SSB.

BUT ,I agree that HF and VHF/UHF have two different uses and should be two separate radios as
    while HF is primarily LONG RANGE ,it can do good duty at short to medium range and
    VHF/UHF are severely limited by line of sight...they also break the rule with WEAK SIGNAL as with SSB where ,
    again, the capability exceeds expectations...
    BUT these capabilities don't just happen....
    it is through ht e design and practice of a SKILLED OPERATOR, practise and hone your radio skills and
    learn from your mistakes and conquests.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
    « Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 07:42:20 PM »
      I have never seen the HT that was SSB CAPABLE as there is a lot of extra electronics and stability need for SSB.
    Me either.  I've got to say, while it's kind of nice having SSB capability on 2m, I've never actually used SSB on 2m.  Might start trying on occasion though, just for something different.

As cool as it is having the 857's all-in-one design, it's probably a good trade-off for the robustness of an HF-only amp.  Can't fault Yaesu here, I'm guessing that they're just going with what the customers are saying they want: a more selective receiver for Field Day, and no real demand for VHF/UHF in the same box.

Wonder if they're planning an update of the FT-817 QRP rig next?[/list]

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
    • Survival Veteran
    « Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 08:07:05 PM »
      Wonder if they're planning an update of the FT-817 QRP rig next?[/list]

If so, they better make sure it's competitive up against these guys:

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
      « Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 09:15:55 PM »
      If so, they better make sure it's competitive up against these guys:
      Stiff competition, to be sure.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
      • Forum Veteran
      « Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 05:49:29 AM »
      The PRICE of ELECRAFT is it's own competition.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
      « Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 06:09:48 AM »
      The PRICE of ELECRAFT is it's own competition.
      :spit:  Truth!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
      • Forum Veteran
      « Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 09:16:54 AM »
      Looks like the long discontinued FT 100.....remake of earlier design....not necessarily a bad thing as the FT 100 had problems with the PA module handling UHF/VHF.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
      « Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 10:28:48 AM »
      As with many hobbies, as I get more experience I tend to favor specialization.  That usually means more gear, but I prefer a decent set of screwdrivers to even the best made multi-tool.

I'm totally ok with an HF only rig.  So much about the station is different between HF and VHF/UHF.  Most of us have experimented with various all-band (or at least most band) wire antennas for HF.  Once you include 2m/70cm, that stops being realistic to have one antenna/tuner/amp/etc.

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
      • Garden State Prepper
      « Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 02:49:29 PM »
      Me either.  I've got to say, while it's kind of nice having SSB capability on 2m, I've never actually used SSB on 2m.  Might start trying on occasion though, just for something different.

The next ARRL VHF/UHF contest is June 11-13.  Give it a try.  This is the most popular VHF contest of the year.  Directional antennas help but height is king.  The Weak Signal (SSB) calling freq is 144.200.  Usually you will find people hovering between 144.180 to 144.230 or so.  Usually considered bad form to call CQ right on 144.200 but some people do it (most people call on 144.203 and 3kHz increments up).  You will also find CW in this range but most CW is south of 144.100.  Depending on your station, it is a good idea to have a paddle hooked up so you can send CW to complete the contact if SSB isn't making it.  Some of the big stations can be heard but not hear you.  Remember, SSB on VHF/UHF is horizontally polarized and not vertically polarized like FM.  So if you have a directional antenna you have to turn it 90 degrees so it is flat like a TV antenna.  Also, I have heard some digital signals but have never decoded any so I don't know what modulation they are.

Also 6m is included in the contest and will give you the occasional really long contact.  I have made contacts over 1500 miles during a band opening but you have to be quick as they fade fast.

I also use this to test a portable setup, not man-pack stuff, but things you need to operate out of your car/truck even if it is not installed.

Just know your grid-square down to 6 characters before you start.  The exchange is only 4 characters but some people have antenna rotor programs that can be programmed to your 6 character grid square so you may be asked for it.

http://www.arrl.org/june-vhf

Jerseyboy

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
      « Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 05:05:27 AM »
      Another article at the same web site, this one with the spec sheet:
      http://qrznow.com/the-yaesu-ft-891-specifications/

I see that Yaesu still hasn't figured out how to label the rear panel. ::)  Apart from that, it looks pretty good.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
      « Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 05:09:38 AM »
      Jeremy interviews Yaesu in Day 2 show. they say the 891 isn't a replacement radio for the 897/817.  it's primary reason for being is 'Mobile HF' reckon they figure most folks already have mobile VHF/UHF.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
      « Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 05:24:00 AM »
      Jeremy interviews Yaesu in Day 2 show. they say the 891 isn't a replacement radio for the 897/817.  it's primary reason for being is 'Mobile HF' reckon they figure most folks already have mobile VHF/UHF.
      On the iPod now, thanks SCW!  And Yaesu's 'Mobile HF' reason makes sense.  Of course, my interpretation of 'mobile' may be a little different than theirs, but so long as I'm buying I don't think they care. :)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
      • Forum Veteran
      « Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 05:26:52 AM »
      TWO cooling fans.....I wonder when they will start building in thermal chillers?

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
      « Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 06:07:51 AM »
      TWO cooling fans.....I wonder when they will start building in thermal chillers?
      Better a thermal chiller than a thermal detonator.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
      « Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 06:54:59 PM »
      Just after the 1:28 mark, if you want to zoom to it.  Slightly smaller and lighter than the 857, probably hitting the market between 2 months from now and the end of the year.  And I see that MTC has a pre-order link on their store site.   hmmm...

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
      • New TSP Forum member
      « Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 11:24:51 AM »
      I am still glad that I got myself an 897D as my first portable while I still had the chance. I wonder whether there's anything else out there at the moment that provides all bands in such a handy package.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
      « Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 11:43:39 AM »
      If I got into SOTA or other QRP activity where form factor and weight mattered, I could be happy with less band coverage, since you aren't likely to pack in a massive antenna array.  I think a basic QRP rig that could do SSB/CW/digital that did 40/20/15/10 would be cool.  With a single resonant dipole I can get 40 and 15 working well without a tuner if necessary - and those are decent DX bands at least some of the time.

For mobile or RV use, I see an all-HF + VHF/UHF making sense if space was a premium. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
      • Forum Veteran
      « Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 04:00:50 PM »
      I am still glad that I got myself an 897D as my first portable while I still had the chance. I wonder whether there's anything else out there at the moment that provides all bands in such a handy package.

Icom 7100

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
      « Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 09:05:26 AM »
      Icom 7100

I know 2 folks who own these.  Both seem pleased.  The form factor is ideal for a light hike and deployment at a picnic table.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
      • Forum Veteran
      « Reply #23 on: May 27, 2016, 09:42:25 AM »
      I know 2 folks who own these.  Both seem pleased.  The form factor is ideal for a light hike and deployment at a picnic table.

Now you know THREE.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
      « Reply #24 on: June 15, 2016, 11:04:51 AM »
      When will they release the price for this thing?

I saw they came up with an auto-tuner specific to the model.

Optional FC-50 Antenna Tuner Unit
      The FC-50 is a microprocessor-controlled antenna tuner that is designed specifically for the FT-891. The FC-50 can be easily coupled with the FT-891 and includes all necessary interconnect cables for operation right out of the box.

Should I expect some absurd $399 price tag for the tuner?

Also, aside from marketing talk, is there any benefit to using a microprocessor?  From my understanding of automatic antenna tuners, it's not the most complex electronics logic - but maybe there's something cool I don't yet understand...

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
      • Forum Veteran
      « Reply #25 on: June 15, 2016, 11:15:28 AM »
      You can RESERVE an FT 891 at R and L electronics for $1 (refundable)

http://store.rlham.com/shop/catalog/

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
      • Dedicated Contributor
      • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
      « Reply #26 on: June 21, 2016, 09:20:03 AM »
      You pay a price for a good radio - though at the point it will release at, will eliminate my ability to get the newer model.

I have a FT-817 and FT-857, love both radios.  I would like to add to it,.. but I just can't see dropping that kind of scratch on something.  If anything, I have to fund the Antenna farm more.  It's been 15 years since I bought any Coax..  of the four cables I had, I can find three.

Offline blacktalon606

• Prepper
      • New TSP Forum member
      « Reply #27 on: August 03, 2016, 08:55:36 PM »
      I used to run my 857 barefoot in my subaru with an atas 120 antenna.  I got Europe and south America a few times. It seemed pretty good for a 3' whip.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
      • Forum Veteran
      « Reply #28 on: August 04, 2016, 05:18:56 AM »
      You pay a price for a good radio - though at the point it will release at, will eliminate my ability to get the newer model.

I have a FT-817 and FT-857, love both radios.  I would like to add to it,.. but I just can't see dropping that kind of scratch on something.  If anything, I have to fund the Antenna farm more.  It's been 15 years since I bought any Coax..  of the four cables I had, I can find three.

Perhaps you are ready for a 'full sized' radio now ,with more knobs and buttons and accessories?

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
      « Reply #29 on: August 11, 2016, 10:20:08 PM »
      And it's looking like $900:
      http://www.mtcradio.com/yaesu-ft-891-hf-6m-100w-all-mode-transceiver-pre-order/

Not rushing out to buy one, but I will be watching for reviews with interest.