Author Topic: titanium tableware?  (Read 2899 times)

Offline stonetic88

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
titanium tableware?
« on: June 05, 2016, 11:49:48 PM »
Hi I am new to this forum and wondering about titanium cooking stuff. I’ve found some vendors likes light my fire, timberbrother or etc selling titanium spork on Amazon but I still had no idea if titanium stuff is the best option for camping…

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: titanium tableware?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 04:39:38 AM »
My opinion is that titanium is an overpriced FAD as plastic,nylon,and aluminum are very close in weight and way less costly...my current choice is carved bamboo utensils .
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 09:47:58 PM »
If you are a "gram weenie"(I have seen many of them refer to themselves as such) then titanium might be for you. Otherwise, it just empties your wallet a little faster, with negligible benefits. Aluminum conducts heat better and is cheaper. Stainless steel is typically more rugged and wear resistant, but is a lot heavier too.

Unless you're planning on hiking many miles with an ultralight pack, stick to the less costly stuff.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

endurance

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 04:46:08 AM »
Agreed, with the exception of long distance hiking, high quality plastic stuff is a better value for the long run.

Many distance hikers carry a long handled titanium spoon because they eat their hot meals out of a ziplock and it's cleaner than reaching into the bag with a dirty hand. I have a Ti Vargo Bot for my Colorado Trail hike this summer, but there were a number of contributing factors to deciding to spending the money on a Ti pot. My target pack weight is sub-20 pounds since I'll be hiking 20+ miles per day and I'm also using it more as a rehydration chamber than a cook pot. There are very limited options that can seal for rehydration while hiking and also serve for cooking food if I decide I want a hot meal. My stove itself is a 0.2oz catfood can I took a hole punch to. My stove fuel is also my means of pilfering food from others; 195 proof Everclear. But all this is saying is that it would be hard to rationalize spending big money on Ti camping kit unless you were rationalizing it all like me... Which isn't rational... But it does explain a thing or two.

Offline DheereCrossing

• Prepper
  • Who am I again?
    • OMG Leatherworks
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 01:28:32 PM »
Titanium seems to be fine for tableware, eating off of and utensils.  However I would not use it for cookware.  Titanium can become brittle and fail sooner in high heat situations vs. stainless steel.  I don't have scientific evidence of this, but repeating what I've heard from others.
See my leatherwork at http://omgleatherworks.com

One day at a time and then they're all gone before you know it.

"Zombie like beer" - JS, ep1214

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 03:07:13 PM »
I think it only makes sense if you are trying to save weight.  IE: backpacking/ motorcycle camping, etc.  I have a titanium spoon/ fork combo that I use for the aforementioned reasons.  If I were just car/ truck camping I would buy cheap stainless utensils, I like that they don't melt if you leave them too close to the stove.  I've melted the handle of a plastic spoon before so when I bought a new one it was titanium.  I also want to swap out my pot for a smaller titanium one that is closer to mug size as I really only use it to heat 16oz of water at a time for mountain house type foods.  If I'm car camping I take a cast iron skillet. 
-Dave

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 03:34:11 PM »
Hi Temps is why I bought my plastic pots...

although the ad appears a tad optimistic... :wtf:

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

endurance

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 06:19:42 PM »
Hi Temps is why I bought my plastic pots...

although the ad appears a tad optimistic... :wtf:
Planning on pouring moulten lava into them.  ;D

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 06:51:47 PM »
I actually ownn TWO sets of the cookware and it works great for my single man way of heating food, but the temp range is a bit over rated.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 07:22:59 PM »
Hi I am new to this forum and wondering about titanium cooking stuff. I’ve found some vendors likes light my fire, timberbrother or etc selling titanium spork on Amazon but I still had no idea if titanium stuff is the best option for camping…
You know, for me Ti is just an itch to scratch.  A few bits on the bike, a few bits in the jaw (from riding the bike  ::)), that's about all for me.  But then there's the itch.  Unless you're off to hike the AT, as others have already said, plastic or aluminum or stainless steel are all more cost-effective options.  But at under $10, almost anybody can afford a Ti spork.  Get a spork, be happy, cherish it, and move on to more cost-realistic things.  I use mine every chance I reasonably get.

From over at the Amazon reviews of a Ti spork:
I don't know why a titanium spork is such a fun thing to own. But it is. I got mine as a gift and I.. just.. like.. using it.

Maybe it's because what you have here is a final experience, the idealized form of a piece of technology. It's as tough as steel, it's light, it's utterly non-toxic, manages hot food without a problem, scoops up yogurt, soup and stew with aplomb, spears meat and vegys without trouble. It cleans up trivially. It will probably last about a billion years in typical use. It's got a simple, appealing shape. There's no way to improve on it. You look at it, and just know that in five hundred years, it will still be the utter epitome of utensilness.

Hold it in your hand, and you feel like mankind has achieved something, finally made something that's perfect, that just works without a glitch. That's not a feeling you get often. You don't get it looking at your car, your children, your new cell phone, or your Windows PC. But you can feel it when you own this spork, and the feeling is one of relief. Finally, something in your life that just Does The Job. When mankind faces final judgment, or the heat death of the universe, or whatever ending you believe in, you'll be able to hold up your titanium spork and say "Yes, I know, mankind didn't measure up to expectations. We got a lot wrong. But look... we totally NAILED this concept."

The titanium spork truly divides human accomplishment into a Before and an After. Buy one.

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.