Poll

Choose up to Five Options for July's Tuesday Stand Alone Just Jack Shows

Building Resilient Children in a World full of Wusses
244 (13.2%)
How to Get Started with Bitcoin - Setting Up Accounts, Sending, Receiving, etc.
213 (11.6%)
Gearing Up On A Budget as a New Fisherman
132 (7.2%)
15 Cool Items for the Prepper Kitchen and How to Use Them
337 (18.3%)
Anarchy - It Isn't What You Think It Is
216 (11.7%)
Getting Ready for Fall Gardening
317 (17.2%)
10 Mead Recipes from 2016 So Far
115 (6.2%)
Powertools on The Homestead
268 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 427

Voting closed: July 02, 2016, 10:43:43 AM

Author Topic: Choose the Tuesday Shows for July 5th, 12th, 19th and 26th  (Read 9072 times)

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
Choose the Tuesday Shows for July 5th, 12th, 19th and 26th
« on: June 07, 2016, 10:43:43 AM »
I am trying something a bit different this time.  There have been some RAZOR thin margins of loss by a few topics so to make it interesting this time there are 8 choices for 4 shows but everyone gets 5 votes, as always the top 4 will make the cut. 

Remember this thread is also where to suggest new topics for August's poll, a few on this list are from last month's suggestions. 

Another thing I have done this time is YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR VOTE!  You can do that right up until the day the poll closes.  This means if you have voted for a clear looser but want a topic that is close over those that are winning you can come in at the end and switch over. 

This should be fun, more fun that the 2016 Assclown Circus anyway!
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

"If some of our teenage thrill seeker really want to go out and get a thrill.  Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear  or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul".  ~ Fred Bear

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
Re: Choose the Tuesday Shows for July 5th, 12th, 19th and 26th
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 11:48:42 AM »

I'll renew my request for a show about knives.  Info of particular interest would be..

• Blade types/shapes and suggested uses
  • Blade and handle materials and suggested uses
  • Fixed blade, locking blades, pocket knives and suggested uses
  • Sharpening
  • Maintenance
  • High end vs Low cost
  • If I could only have 5 knives???
  • Gimmick vs useful  (ie punch daggers, "display" knives, letter openers, hori hori,  etc, etc) )
  • Thoughts on the "infomercial" knives
  • Thoughts on the "disposable blade" type knives

Whatever else you can think that would be relevant to the topic.   I know you know some knife makers, perhaps pro tem Expert Council type show?   Just a thought.

-MSP

--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline jbritely

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 01:22:37 PM »
I bump my idea suggestion for an update on Elijah Springs and similar projects for the future - I ether want to join one or start my own. 

How about a show on history.  You seem rushed talking about the history segments sometimes. 

A little government goes a long way.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 02:13:50 PM »

I'll renew my request for a show about knives.  Info of particular interest would be..

• Blade types/shapes and suggested uses
  • Blade and handle materials and suggested uses
  • Fixed blade, locking blades, pocket knives and suggested uses
  • Sharpening
  • Maintenance
  • High end vs Low cost
  • If I could only have 5 knives???
  • Gimmick vs useful  (ie punch daggers, "display" knives, letter openers, hori hori,  etc, etc) )
  • Thoughts on the "infomercial" knives
  • Thoughts on the "disposable blade" type knives

Whatever else you can think that would be relevant to the topic.   I know you know some knife makers, perhaps pro tem Expert Council type show?   Just a thought.

-MSP

I can get that into the voting for August!
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

"If some of our teenage thrill seeker really want to go out and get a thrill.  Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear  or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul".  ~ Fred Bear

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 02:31:56 PM »

+1
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 05:11:25 PM »
Looking forward to the show already.  Thanks MSP & Jack!

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.

Offline royramey

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 05:53:14 PM »
I dito request for an up update on the future of PermaEthos and Elishas Spring.  Thanks.

Offline DheereCrossing

• Prepper
  • Who am I again?
    • OMG Leatherworks
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 06:36:08 PM »
I have a question that would actually make a cool show topic perhaps.

Selling property with permaculture work/forest garden/earthworks, etc. already established.

We're planning to list our home and move soon.  My family's big hangup is that our backyard is no longer your traditional 'grass farm that looks 'normal''.  I've put in wood core beds on contour, raised beds, Swales on contour, fruit trees, lasagna sheet mulched patches, composting area, etc and even though I get complements on how nice it looks, their next statement is you should get rid of it/fill it back in when you list the house.

I want to know what might be a good couple of phrases to put in the home listing to highlight the attempt at sustainability and also if there are listing agents out there who might particularly cater to the urban farmer demographic.
See my leatherwork at http://omgleatherworks.com

One day at a time and then they're all gone before you know it.

"Zombie like beer" - JS, ep1214

Offline SuburbanGardener

• Survivor
  • Engineering a sustainable lifestyle
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 06:57:20 PM »

Selling property with permaculture work/forest garden/earthworks, etc. already established.

Yes!  This would be a fantastic topic.  Wife and I will probably be looking to sell our suburban home in a few years, and I've spent the last three turning the back yard from a grass desert to a food forest.  By the time we plan to sell, the fruit trees should be producing well, and I certainly won't want to knock it all out to sell.
When the SHTF,
life is going to change.
Are you ready?

Offline farmboy

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 09:30:49 PM »
Quick format question. Wouldn't less votes give you more contrast in the voting? For example, if there are 3 universally great topics, and you have 4 votes, then there wouldn't be very much contrast in the voting results. But if you have 2 votes, you'd have to pick what you like more and you get more contrast.

Allowing for more votes would work better if you could place multiple votes for a single topic (so 3 votes to A, and 2 to B). Just a thought... unless I'm thinking about it wrong...

Offline DWESmith

• Prepper
  • GSD at my own pace.
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 09:45:46 PM »
I hope getting started with Bitcoin wins. I'd love to use it for future farm/nursery sales.
"Keep Calm and Fish On!"

Offline Davido

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 08:44:21 AM »
I too would enjoy "an update on Elijah Springs and similar projects for the future".

Offline pybryce

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 09:21:36 AM »
I'd like to hear how you plan to sell your gold and silver if and when the time comes (pawn shops, Craigslist, back to the retailer?).  Also, at what point would you consider selling?    Thanks for your work!

Offline jaredgatti

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 02:42:54 PM »
Would love to see a show on farmstead tools and seasonal maintenance including sharpening and things like that.

Offline drawthow

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 02:29:09 PM »
Would love to see a show on house building technologies. Pros and cons of say traditional Stick Building, SIP, ICF, Straw Bale, Cob...

Offline cooter

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 08:31:16 PM »
Review of March to Freedom and what states are winning and why people say they are going there.
"From this day,
From this hour,
From this minute,
Let us strive to love God above all
and fulfill His holy will."
  St. Herman of Alaska

Offline higginbo

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 07:42:40 AM »
I think a show on multi-generational/group prepping for the things you talked about in the "4 years of flux" episode. For example, it seems to me that if you own your property, and have the funds, making some changes to allow family members or friends to live with you would be a wise prep ("Mother in law" quarters, apartment on the back property, etc. etc.) Or looking at ways that you and family or friends can work together to build interconnected businesses, etc. 

Offline Vicki77

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 12:09:49 AM »
Would love to see a show on house building technologies. Pros and cons of say traditional Stick Building, SIP, ICF, Straw Bale, Cob...

Seconding. 

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 07:46:43 AM »
Building businesses on public resources
...could be an interesting show.

Objective of the episode:
Describe ways one might start a business or make some side income legally, utilizing public resources (zero land-ownership).

Basic idea:

While there's often a bit of permitting to go through, there are many marketable commodities and services which are free for the taking on public lands and waterways. Some examples:

Brush-clearing and selling the resultant firewood
Scrap metal collection
Guide services (hunting, fishing, hiking)
Wild herb and mushroom collection
Selling fish and game to the public or to processors
Surveying and Prospecting resources

There are quite a few businesses which one could start with no land and minimal overhead to provide a second income to a family, or as a weekend job for some extra cash, simply by trading on your skills and freely available resources. These are frankly jobs you see performed by the homeless, with no startup capital. If they can do it, a lot of middle-class apartment dwellers looking for a simple business to start could definitely pull it off.

I've met several people over the years who do this type of work, and while they're not getting rich, the income was better than I had expected. One guy was contracted to remove mussels from the piers in a marina. Not only was he paid for their removal, but was able to take them home for food, and sold many of the larger ones. I didn't buy any (I've seen too many oil slicks on those waters to trust it, lol), but he had customers.

Another guy collects fruit growing on the median of city streets and along highways. It turns out when you have street-side parking in front of your business, fruiting trees along the sidewalk are a detriment (fallen fruit on cars and walkways, 10x more bird shit etc). The town loves this guy, they call him up when they need a street cleared. In fact, the town has actually begun planting fruit trees again because they're not even noticing the mess anymore.

Years ago when I lived in the desert, I knew a guy who trimmed palm trees. He had just a machete, gloves, and a belt to shimmy up the trees. $70 per tree (and that was 17 years ago). He'd just go door to door where he saw palm trees and was getting 5-6 jobs a day.

In the city, there's another guy who sells fresh fish out of the trunk of his car. It's just old-fashioned "catch of the day" and he'll fry them up for you on the spot. Just works out of an abandoned parking lot. He gets more business than any of the surrounding diners (which I attribute to his good rapport built with the local community and outgoing personality). If I'm going to drop $10 on lunch when downtown, I'd rather give the money to him, and a lot of people feel the same way.
A good government may, indeed, redress the grievances of an injured people; but a strong people can alone build up a great nation. - Thomas Francis Meagher

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 08:42:33 AM »

We're planning to list our home and move soon.  My family's big hangup is that our backyard is no longer your traditional 'grass farm that looks 'normal''.  I've put in wood core beds on contour, raised beds, Swales on contour, fruit trees, lasagna sheet mulched patches, composting area, etc and even though I get complements on how nice it looks, their next statement is you should get rid of it/fill it back in when you list the house.

I want to know what might be a good couple of phrases to put in the home listing to highlight the attempt at sustainability and also if there are listing agents out there who might particularly cater to the urban farmer demographic.

I second this.

Just my personal advice: I've dabbled in home sales (took a few classes for realty before I decided it wasn't the job for me). I can tell you, realtors know jack-shit about selling homes. Maybe one in ten thousand are any good at it. The demand for homes is there, and if people are moving for work or retirement (the most common motives), their options are limited by price and geography. They're often pressured by the impending sale of their home or an expiring lease. Realtors don't have to be good at selling to make sales, they just need to play the numbers with as many listings as possible. They take credit for the sale, but in reality, they just did the paperwork.

The realtor doesn't want anything unique in their listing. Uniform lawns, every interior wall painted white, I'm sure they hit you with the 20-point list... they want the house to be as generic as possible. Then if financing falls through for someone, they can push them to a more similar house instead. If the buyer is too emotionally invested and can't get the house they wanted, they may rent for a few years while they get their credit in order. It's a lost sale. It's not a tactic to make your house more marketable, but to improve the odds of turning over one of their listings. Obviously, if you're too unconventional (neon-fuchsia painted walls and checker-board linoleum) yeah, it can hurt sales prospects, so in that sense what they're telling you has a kernel of truth to it. However, they are also the beneficiaries of this advice and often over-state it. You can invest hundreds of hours and thousand of dollars of your money to make it easier for them to sell someone else's house. Unsurprisingly, they are OK with that, lol. Don't discount their advice, but see it for what it is and make your own decisions based on your judgement.

YOU are selling the house. Not them. More than that, you are selling a lifestyle, the house is secondary. It's the prospective buyer's ability to picture themselves living there which makes the difference. You just need to paint that picture for them. Things a realtor would point out, like a new roof, or resurfaced driveway are nice bonuses for a buyer, but inconsequential to the sale. The buyer needs to see themselves picking produce from the kitchen garden and sitting down to a wholesome meal with the family. You're going to play into the whole Norman Rockwell fantasy bullshit about a "simpler time" and a "slower pace of life" where every moment has it's small pleasures... You have to set that emotional hook yourself.

You're right, some of the permaculture techniques are unconventional when viewed by people who have no experience with it. Make sure the area is clean (no tools, kids toys etc). It needs to be picture-perfect today. Start taking pictures, and continue taking pictures throughout the whole season. It's the notion of "Time compression", you can show pictures of apple trees laden with fruit right next to a picture of a cherry tree in full bloom. Deep green grass from the spring rains under the clear skies of July. By intermixing photos taken at different times, it creates the illusion of perpetual abundance and serenity. This is NOT photoshopping the images together in a deceitful way, but showing 100% accurate, true to life images, taken at different times next to each other on the same page.

Make videos touring the property, and explaining what the features are. Provide them some resources on each feature. Your customer's first reaction to something like a hugelkultur mound is "WTF is that". If you explain it's function, then they're thinking "Ok... how do I work this thing?". You've just hit them with something new to learn before they can utilize the property effectively. You need to fast-track that conversation to the end, hitting just the key points:

"This is a system we installed to ensure fertility and reduce watering needs. With this system you can have a nice garden without the cost of soil amendments and irrigation, and you don't have the labor invested in building such a system. Just put your plants in the mound, and you're good to go!".

I'll assume you have installed many perennial plants. Fruits, perennial vegetables, herbs, etc. That's a huge seller. These things take years to establish, cost a lot of money, but only need to be planted once. Make sure they focus on that. The buyer will often neglect those points, you need to direct them to acknowledgement. With perennials, they needn't do a thing to be the beneficiaries of these systems.

"Imagine you had a magical pantry that would refill itself with food automatically, for free, and it was the freshest, most nutritious, best tasting food available. This pantry is thousands of square feet in size in size, and beautiful to behold. If such a thing existed, it would be worth more than the house itself... well, it just so happens I have that, right through that back door..."

Ok, that might be a bit too dramatic, maybe don't go with the used-car salesman approach like my example, lol, but you know the key points to discuss. Since an established permaculture lot almost always has something in production, bring them to whatever is producing when they visit. Have them pick a ripe peach off the tree, or fresh strawberries. Show them the herbs (many people can't identify them). Tear the leaves of thyme and mints, and basil... let them smell them. Get all the senses involved. You need to guide them through the property yourself.

...that's the other thing. Realtors like to show the house when you're not there, lol. Yes, you might in your inexperience kill the sale, but it also goes back to that "keep listings generic" motive. You want to be present, if not on the first walkthrough, on and second visit. Every time you buy a house from someone else, you have those moments when you wonder "What the hell was the previous owner thinking". Your thinking, though unconventional may be right, and giving them the opportunity for some Q&A can put them at ease.
A good government may, indeed, redress the grievances of an injured people; but a strong people can alone build up a great nation. - Thomas Francis Meagher

Offline farmboy

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 06:27:10 AM »
Topic suggestion: foraging poultry for cheap/free meat and eggs

Details: Whether for SHTF or just getting cheap meat and eggs when you're having troubles, how to support various poultry on just your land without outside feeds, assuming you have a few acres to do it on. Like perennials or annuals to look for/plant now while things are good. Maybe types of plants that bring in the bugs that poultry love to forage on. Keeping in mind nutritional requirements like protein and storing food for them for over the winter (for those of us who have the stuff called snow covering the ground several months out of the year lol). Like one thing that comes to mind that you've talked about before is mulberry leaves for protein, drying them and storing them for winter.

This thought comes from when you mentioned once that you could support up to maybe a dozen duck off of your land alone if you ever really had to. Just wondering how you would go about doing that.

Thanks Jack.

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 09:10:54 AM »
Topic suggestion: foraging poultry for cheap/free meat and eggs

Feeding poultry is easy.

Watercress - Calcium, Iron and Protein Source
Duckweed - High protein
Hubbard Squash - long shelf-life source of calories
Mulberry - Some everbearing cultivars produce for months and give you vitamins for the feed mix. Can be easily dehydrated.
Dandelions - set your lawnmower on the shortest setting, and mow an acre once a month, by next year, it will be almost entirely dandelions.

If you want to use insects, you're better off breeding them too. Crickets are the most nutritious, and you can find them pretty much anywhere, no need to buy them. A lot of people raise mealworms, which take up less space for the yield they provide. In a survival situation, they are both a viable human food source too (and not bad when fried crispy). Once you get over the "ick" factor, it's like meaty popcorn.

Resources:

Justin Rhode's YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSGEokQQcdAVFuL_Aq8dlg
Lots of info on feeding chickens free or cheap.

Geoff Lawton's video on compost fed chickens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8O2tRsfEHM
Don't know what happened to his domain... seems to be AWOL, but it's also on YouTube.

See my reply in this thread for more info on what I do:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=56084.0

All three of these methods are completely different, and they all work great. You can choose the one that best suits you, mix and match elements of each of them, and probably come up with your own unique methodology pretty easily. Don't forget free-ranging. A hungry chicken feeds itself. It's not like raising a plant where it's needs must be met or it will die. Animals universally dislike starvation, and if given any opportunity they will acquire their own food and water. You're just making sure the food exists on your land, and that's pretty much it.

This could make a good show, there's a lot of information out there on the subject, but it's often disorganized. So many methods exist, people see them and often mistake the differences as being competing ideas, with some being right and others wrong. They're all right, they all work. Disregard anyone defending a specific method to the exclusion of the others, and you'll find everything you need to know.

Offline 6scans

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 08:24:46 AM »
Jack, I've been listening for ab 6 months.  Anytime you intro a guest, you ask them to tell us about themselves, how they got into prepping etc.

I'd like to hear about your journey actually. I've heard tidbits. Something about your pops. You went from a 150k job to 40k. I believe you adopted your son etc.  But I've yet to learn the entire story.

Maybe one day just take 15 minutes or whatever it takes, the whole show, I don't care, to enlighten us on you. If that's already been done, please point me to the episode.

Thanks man!

Offline nevra_319

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Live and let live.
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 08:52:17 AM »
Idea for August shows:

10+ herbs you should have around your homestead and what to do with them.

We have really added a large selection of herbs around the house and are mostly using them fresh or drying them. Would love some ideas/tips-tricks on what your top 10 would be and how you use them.

another idea would be:

Canning and Food Preservation on a budget.

I am a beginner to canning but have really had great success with my jams and tomatoes so far. I am looking into pressure canning and all I hear others say is how expensive it is....any thoughts? Also would love info on lacto-fermentation and other food preservation ideas.

Congrats to the whole family on the new baby granddaughter! Really love your show, thank you for it.

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2016, 11:32:23 AM »
Idea for August shows:

10+ herbs you should have around your homestead and what to do with them.

We have really added a large selection of herbs around the house and are mostly using them fresh or drying them. Would love some ideas/tips-tricks on what your top 10 would be and how you use them.

another idea would be:

Canning and Food Preservation on a budget.

I am a beginner to canning but have really had great success with my jams and tomatoes so far. I am looking into pressure canning and all I hear others say is how expensive it is....any thoughts? Also would love info on lacto-fermentation and other food preservation ideas.

Congrats to the whole family on the new baby granddaughter! Really love your show, thank you for it.

There are a few shows on herbs already. Personally, I welcome the idea of adding a few more shows on the topic, there's still a few hundred commonly grown herbs which have yet to be covered. But here are some of the past shows to get you started:

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/12-herbs-survivalist-should-grow
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/15-perennial-herbs-medicinal
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/10-medicinal-herbs-perennial
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/1588-mint
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episode-580-herbal-actions-part-one
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/1744-10-perennials
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episode-1568-15-underrated-plants-for-the-homestead

As for pressure canning, I don't know who's saying it's expensive... It's definitely not. Yeah, you need a pressure canner, but that's a one-time expense. How much does it cost compared to buying canned food in the store? That's the real comparison. You can grow 100 tomato plants pretty easily, but there's really no point unless you have a means of preserving them. Likewise, a lot of meat and fish is best pressure canned for storage. Meat is typically not something you would can in a hot water bath (you can... technically, but it's not as safe and doesn't last as long).

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2016, 10:29:16 AM »
I'm lazy today so I haven't checked to see if you've already delved into in detail but in my area there are wide ranges in rainfall.
15 ways to prepare in drought areas
Could include the obvious of collecting rainwater and dew, building up wood chips/mulch, ponds, using misters during the least hot part of the day..