Author Topic: New Zealand on 40m at night.  (Read 1669 times)

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
New Zealand on 40m at night.
« on: July 17, 2016, 08:34:17 AM »
I was just wrapping up playing around with the North American QSO Party RTTY contest last night (2am eastern time) and stumbled upon a signal that was weak but full copy.  The call sign was ZL1N so I had to look it up and it was a contest call sign from New Zealand.  I did not call out to him because he was in a QSO and not calling CQ but I don't know if my 50 watts would have carried that far anyways. 

Not every day you hear New Zealand.

As they say in golf when you make a good shot, "it's the shot that keeps you coming back."

Oh, and I made the first couple of contacts at 100 watts and the fan would kick on immediately full blast. When I dialed it back down to 50 watts the fan would only come on a little at lower speeds but I still made all of my contacts.  Thanks Carl.

Jerseyboy

Offline Rainbird

• Fledgling Prepper
Re: New Zealand on 40m at night.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 10:29:47 AM »
Yup, I left my 20m dipole up for a couple weeks after Field Day and I was able to find some incredibly powerful ZL1 activity coming in on SSB late at night. The guys do seem to like to chat a bit despite the pileups, so between waiting 10 minutes per QSO and my modest setup competing with all the big guns in the western US, I was never able to grab one.

The guys I could hear sounded like they had pretty beefy stations with big antennas and amps, so no surprise they were coming in at +20 to the east coast here. :)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 04:34:25 AM »
Your story reminds me of one I had a few years ago:

I run 20 watts for digital or voice and I used to not even attempt the 'weak' stations, One day I was playing with operating an old TenTec 509 and heard a station ID on 20 meters,I replied and he immediately answered and we talked of our radios and antennas with the 'other' station telling any and all to stand by or he would NOT TALK TO THEM...after 10 minutes ,he and I knew each other well and I said it was best to let others also contact him...he was a rare station in the UKRAINE or whatever they call his part of the world...
What power house of a radio the TenTec 509 must be with a maximum of 2 & 1/2 watts output and just a small dipole in my yard...the other station ...was a very rare contact who dutifully contacted all who he could hear for the next few hours ...That was special.

Propagation often works BOTH WAYS, don't fear failure, make the attempt.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 07:58:58 AM »
Propagation often works BOTH WAYS, don't fear failure, make the attempt.

That is what I figure. On Field Day, my partner Mike made a Ukraine contact and he was tickled pink.. he could not use it for the contest, but he logged it personally for his logs.

Cedar