Author Topic: DMR versus D-Star  (Read 3937 times)

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
DMR versus D-Star
« on: April 26, 2016, 05:13:01 PM »
I attended a local digital ham radio support group and there was a presentation on D-Star and DMR hot spots. I had never heard of DMR before  yesterday. It appears it is another digital mode that is pretty popular and maybe a rival for D-Star. One also has to register with DMR and I believe there is a limited number of numbers available. The presenter urged us to register as another option for digital ham radio. Below is the link:

http://www.dmr-marc.net/cgi-bin/trbo-database/userreg.cgi

Is anyone "up" on DMR?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: DMR versus D-Star
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 06:27:37 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline millpack

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 02:57:09 AM »
I'm a big DMR fan but not for amateur use. At the moment it's just too clunky and awkward to use. There is also a lot of politics between groups here in the UK which makes it even worse if you travel around and have to load different programming depending on the area you are in if you want to access repeaters!

I'm a commercial user of DMR and it's great for one-2-one or one-2-many group communication. You can have 2 separate conversations on the same frequency due to the way the system works which means you can have a single licensed repeater frequency pair and support 2 separate channels. The AES level encryption and other features (like Motorola's RAS) help keep your comms safe from listening ears and keep your expensive repeater from being abused. Of cause, you can only use these features on a commercial system and not on the amateur side. DMR also support private calls (so I can talk to Bob without Tom and James hearing), remote stun (kill a radio if it gets lost or stolen) and text messaging amongst other things.

The voice quality is OK. It gets a bit "digital" on the edge of reception but then, unlike analogue which fades into noise with signal loss, it just drops out.

The main advantage to DMR for amatuer use is that there are quite a few manufacturers that make DMR kit as opposed to just a single main one for D-Star. It's also an Open Source protocol which means anyone can get their hands dirty, see how it works and build on top of it with their own features.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 09:32:20 AM »

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 10:06:06 AM »
I think DMR is in the HAM future - for a while. A better system will replace it and on and on. (local guys are leving D-Star and going to DMR)
now that we have unleashed the digital -software driven- monster there will be no turning back.

And as happens with new technologies, there will be a running start and thinsg will die down and set further down the years.
(exactly what happened with photography)

now, regarding prepping, see the thread i started in the communications forum.
Just another -better- option in managing the communications of.

and BTW, 2 weels ago I was researching DMR radio prices. And so they have fallen from the 160 they were.

As a consumer I am happy i did not pour any money on the D-Star, though my plan was to buy both an "analog" and an "analog-capable" Digital protocol radio
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:22:00 AM by Greekman »

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 08:49:17 AM »
This last weekend I was playing around with various VHF mobile antennas.  From my driveway ay home, I was able to hit 16 2m repeaters.  From a dual band HT I can hit 4 440mhz repeaters.

Problem is, most of these are idle and no one is talking

Offline millpack

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 09:13:45 AM »
That's one of the great things about linked DMR repeaters. There is always someone around!

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 11:10:32 AM »
We have extensive DMR systems in my area.

D-Star has fallen out of favor and DMR has replaced it.

We even have a DMR frequency coordination body for repeaters.

Plethora of reasonably priced radios coming online, mostly from China