Author Topic: ALERT: Natural and industrial disaster emergencies  (Read 15789 times)

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
Re: ALERT: Natural and industrial disaster emergencies
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2017, 03:49:31 PM »
Thanks Bill.  I've been following this on the news during my travels today and was going to offer an update when I got to my computer.  Looks like you have it all covered.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2017, 08:28:44 AM »
Chetco Bar fire, southern Oregon

As of last night 70,000 acres.
 Effective immediately, the Upper Chetco Trail (#1102), from Quail Prairie Mountain to its junction with Trail 1109 at Slide Creek Camp, is closed. Additionally, the Tincup Trail (Trail #1117) and its tributary trail, Boulder Tie Trail (Trail #1117B), from its junction with the Upper Chetco Trail to where it ends along Darling Creek, is closed. Forest Service Road (FSR) 4103-087 from the beginning of the gated road west to the terminus at Chetco Pass, Trail 1117 and all of its tributary trails from its junction with Trail 1124 west to Tincup Creek, Trail 1124 and all of its tributary trails from its junction with FSR 087 northwest to its terminus at Mount Billingslea Summit and Trail 1125 and all of its tributary trails from Pearsoll Peak Trailhead north to its junction with Trail 1124. For more information and details regarding the closures, please visit the Forest’s website at http://bit.ly/2ufMQWb.

The fire is burning in the fire scars of the Biscuit Fire (2002) and Silver Fire (1987) with regrowth of brush up to 5 feet tall, standing snags, and unburned islands of mixed deciduous and conifer forest. The area is steep, rugged and inaccessible terrain. Fuels burning are timber (litter and understory), Brush and closed timber litter.
Significant Events   
Extreme, wind driven runs, long-range spotting. Significant fire growth to the southwest across the Chetco River.

They do not anticipate having contained until October 15, when we get fall rains.

Cedar

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2017, 03:34:56 PM »
TROPICAL STORM WARNING: Tropical Storm Harvey has redeveloped and is now anticipated to impact the Gulf Coast, landing in South Texas. Probable landfall Between Corpus Christi and Rockport. Estimated arrival of High winds is Friday Morning. Conditions for Tornado formation are Favorable.

http://www.weather.gov/srh/tropical?office=crp

Regards,
Shadowalker

LVWood

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2017, 12:39:09 PM »
Early reports of a powerful earthquake striking near Mexico City in the town of Puebla.

LVWood

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2017, 04:37:53 PM »

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2017, 05:18:52 PM »
I have been about 40 miles away and on a different tectonic plate from the 6.7 Northridge quake, and it was still the strongest I'd ever felt, even that far away.  And I spent the first 35 years of my life in serious earthquake country.

In case people don't understand how magnitude work, a 7.2 is not about 5% stronger than a 6.7 magnitude, it's about 3 times bigger with about 5 times the energy release.

I can't even imagine how bad the shaking must have been.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2017, 08:17:19 PM »
They were actually doing an Earthquake drill when it happened. Over 100 dead so far.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/19/americas/mexico-city-earthquake-drill/index.html

Cedar
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:24:33 PM by Cedar »

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2017, 10:56:16 AM »
They were actually doing an Earthquake drill when it happened. Over 100 dead so far.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/19/americas/mexico-city-earthquake-drill/index.html

Cedar

I work with two Mexican nationals, one who comes from a town about 27km east of the epicenter.  He said every year on the anniversary of the big quake schools do a drill.
Apparently the drill was actually closer to 2 hours before the quake (per my coworker's info via his family there).  Perhaps schools stagger the time and some were actually simultaneous?

In any case, it literally hit close to home for a few folks I know in the office.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2017, 10:28:13 AM »
A 6.1 magnitude earthquake shook southern Mexico on Saturday morning, the US Geological Survey said, rattling a country still coming to grips with the devastation from two stronger temblors earlier this month.

Saturday's quake was centered in Oaxaca state, about 275 miles southeast of Mexico City.

Cedar

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2018, 12:43:53 PM »
Oil refinery explosion and fire in Superior, Wisconsin (near Duluth MN):

Duluth News Tribune: UPDATE: Douglas County sheriff issues evacuation order after Superior refinery fire

...No details were available on the extent of damage or what caused the initial explosion which occurred about 11 a.m. But a second, larger fire erupted just after noon, sending another thick, black cloud over Superior’s eastern neighborhoods.

The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office just after 1 p.m. ordered a broad evacuation for everyone within two mile of the refinery and, because of the potential toxic nature of the smoke, were suggesting anyone who lived or worked within 10 miles south and three miles east and west evacuate to a safer area. ...

Douglas County Deputy Medical Examiner Paul Stein told the News Tribune that he heard there are 20 injuries but no fatalities. Superior mayor Jim Paine said at least six people have been taken to hospitals. ...

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2018, 10:50:58 AM »
Kilauea east rift zone eruption in the middle of a town:

Hawaii News Now, 5/4/18: Evacuations ordered as volcanic eruptions continue in lower Puna

...The Hawaiian Volcano Observatory confirmed that active volcanic vents are erupting on Makamae and Mohala streets. The Hawaii County Civil Defense said all Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens subdivision residents are required to evacuate immediately.

Hawaii County fire officials are also warning of extremely high levels of dangerous sulfur dioxide gas in the evacuation ares. Those with respiratory issues should leave the area immediately, they say. ...

"The opening phases of fissure eruptions are dynamic and uncertain. It is not possible at this time to say when and where new vents may occur," the observatory said, in its latest update. "Areas downslope of an erupting fissure or vent are at risk of lava inundation. At this time, the general area of the Leilani subdivision appears at greatest risk."...

Before Thursday's eruption, HVO research geophysicist Jim Kauahikaua said the seismic activity seen in recent days is similar to what happened before an eruption of Kilauea in February 1955. During that eruption, at least 24 separate volcanic vents opened up and lava covered about 3,900 acres.

Kauahikaua said coastal communities from Kalapana to Kapoho were evacuated and "sections of every public road to the coastline were buried by lava" before the eruption abruptly stopped in May 1955. ...

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2018, 09:35:25 PM »
Kilauea east rift zone eruption in the middle of a town:

Hawaii News Now, 5/4/18: Evacuations ordered as volcanic eruptions continue in lower Puna

how do you prepare for this?  Just not decide to live on an active volcano?
(happily watching the lava flows - I am a volcanophile)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2018, 08:34:50 AM »
how do you prepare for this?  Just not decide to live on an active volcano?
(happily watching the lava flows - I am a volcanophile)

Yep... I'm thinking choice of living locations is primary.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2018, 12:43:29 PM »
Yeah, there have been hazard-ranking maps for years for that island -- I don't understand why anyone would build in the high-risk zones.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2018, 12:51:03 PM »
Yeah, there have been hazard-ranking maps for years for that island -- I don't understand why anyone would build in the high-risk zones.

Like building in a floodplain...

There are so many considerations...
... in the rockies, high fire danger during certain times of year
... coastal regions, hurricane season, flood danger, termites/bugs
... nearness to major waterways, flood danger
... tornado alley, wind damage (can you say "gotta have a basement"?)
... DFW area, very frequent hail/tornado issues, clay soil that wreaks havoc on foundations
... California coast, earthquake, mudslide, fire danger
... frozen north, blizzard, power outages, hazardous road conditions
... proximity to something with propensity for disaster, chemical plants, nuclear power plant...

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2018, 12:52:26 PM »
And yet every day I see homes going up on land that has been under 25' of storm-driven salt water – twice! – within living memory.  I don't understand that either.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2018, 06:25:12 PM »
USGS daily updates:
https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/status.html

Here's a Fox News article that's getting several updates a day:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/05/latest-8-vents-open-as-hawaiis-kilauea-volcano-erupts.html

They had a magnitude 6.9 earthquake Friday.  Kilauea is busy.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2018, 07:20:23 PM »
AP/KITV, 5/7/18: Slopes of volcano offer lush, affordable piece of paradise

As lava crawled down Leilani Road in a hissing, popping mass, Cheryl Griffith stood in its path and placed a plant in a crack in the ground as an offering to the Native Hawaiian volcano goddess, Pele. ...

For many people outside Hawaii, it’s hard to understand why anyone would risk living near an active volcano with such destructive power. But the slopes of Kilauea offer affordable land and a lush rural setting that attract a hardy breed of independent people. ...

The people here are largely self-sufficient and understand the risks of their location. Many cannot get homeowner’s insurance.

Griffith said that is the hardest part of this lifestyle — they won’t be able to recoup losses. ...

The region has macadamia nut farms and other agriculture along with multimillion-dollar homes with manicured lawns. Other houses are modest, sitting on small lots with old cars and trucks scattered about.

Homeowners use rainwater-catch tanks and cesspools or septic tanks. Many rely on solar power, and some live entirely off the electrical grid. ...

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2018, 01:22:21 PM »
I saw this reported today 5/19/18 on the USGS Earthquake map site:

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/hv70163146#executive

M 3.0 Chemical Explosion - 5km WSW of Volcano, Hawaii

2018-05-19 09:58:33 UTC     19.405°N   155.281°W      0.0 km depth 
That would be just before 6am Eastern time
I have not yet seen a news report about this.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2018, 05:31:45 PM »
That link now reads "M 5.0 Volcanic Explosion - 3km W of Volcano, Hawaii".

This event is a steam-driven explosion that occurred around midnight May 18th local time from Halema'uma'u crater. The plume extended to about 10,000 ft above sea level and drifted southwest with noticeable ashfall reported from downwind locations.

I'm guessing the initial report was from an automated system that misidentified an explosion at the surface.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2018, 10:00:32 PM »
Never heard of this threat before. 

https://www.theknifemedia.com/world-news/hawaiian-volcanic-lava-enters-ocean-creating-hazardous-gas/

Hawaiian volcanic lava enters ocean creating hazardous gas

Volcanic lava on Hawaii’s Big Island reached the Pacific Ocean over the weekend, creating a hazardous white plume containing hydrochloric acid and fine particles of glass.
The plume of particles and acidic gas known as “laze,” a combination of “lava” and “haze,” can cause eye and skin irritation, difficulty breathing and, the HVO said, in past cases has caused death. The laze had traveled 15 miles (24 km) west of the entry point as on Monday morning. A U.S. Geological Survey scientist said it was running parallel to the coast.

The U.S. Coast Guard implemented a “Lava Entry Safety Zone” 984 feet (300 meters) around the lava ocean entry point, indicating where navigable waters began. “Getting too close to the lava can result in serious injury or death,” U.S. Coast Guard representative Lt. Cmdr. John Bannon said.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2018, 09:28:17 AM »
Toxic gas causing geothermal power to go offline which accounts for 25% of island's electricity.  There is also growing concern that ash releases could take down solar panels.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/22/hawaii-puna-geothermal-venture-power-plant-shut-down-as-lava-nears-geothermal-wells

Hawaii power plant shut down as lava nears geothermal wells
Crews cap wells at Puna Geothermal Venture plant on Big Island as lava from Kīlauea volcano flows on to site

Lava from the erupting Kīlauea volcano on Hawaii’s Big Island has flowed on to a geothermal power plant site, forcing workers to shut down the facility to prevent the uncontrollable release of toxic gases.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2018, 03:06:25 PM »
Flooding and landslides in central and western Japan force more than 2 million to evacuate and claim 200 lives:https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/07/photos-death-toll-reaches-200-in-devastating-japan-floods/565055/

(Holy crap, can't believe I haven't heard more about this?! Do I just live under a rock?).

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2018, 05:44:15 PM »
Flooding and landslides in central and western Japan ...
(Holy crap, can't believe I haven't heard more about this?! Do I just live under a rock?).
Yeah, it's been pretty well overshadowed by the Thai cave rescue in the US press.  Which is kind of weird, considering the impact of this disaster in Japan.

While on this thread, I had to look up about the Hawaii eruption:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/988090/hawaii-volcano-eruption-latest-is-kileuau-still-active
Also weird how that one just dropped out of the news.  I guess there's only so much attention out there to fill.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2018, 08:59:02 AM »
Calfire page for updates on the Carr fire outside of Redding, CA:http://fire.ca.gov/current_incidents/incidentdetails/Index/2164

Has evac orders and evacuation center info.