Author Topic: Kerosene Lamp info wanted please  (Read 27954 times)

Offline Prepper456

  • Survivor
  • ***
  • Posts: 169
  • Karma: 7
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Kerosene Lamp info wanted please
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2019, 04:57:57 PM »
it seems oil in lamps shelacks or gums up in them over time. i am also afraid of house pets and children knocking them over so am almost afraid of using them in a shtf

Offline Carver

  • Survivalist Mentor
  • *****
  • Posts: 793
  • Karma: 27
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Kerosene Lamp info wanted please
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2019, 07:39:58 PM »
I don't believe lamp oil will do that, kerosene will yellow over time. It makes a good scene in movies, but a lighted kerosene lamp dashed to the floor will not explode into molotov cocktail. It will go out before it hits the floor. Controlling kids and pets is another topic.

Offline Redman

  • Survival Demonstrator
  • *******
  • Posts: 3889
  • Karma: 62
  • Lost in the 50's
Re: Kerosene Lamp info wanted please
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2019, 02:42:23 AM »
I have one oil lamp that has had oil in it for 20 years or more. Seldom use but when I want to use it it always lights. BTW when not in use I keep the wicks on my lamps pulled down for minimal exposure.

Offline Carver

  • Survivalist Mentor
  • *****
  • Posts: 793
  • Karma: 27
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Kerosene Lamp info wanted please
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2019, 01:04:05 PM »
I should point out that we have no intention of relying on oil lamps or kerosene lanterns in the event of a power outage. We'd use flashlights, propane lanterns, or even solar yard lights.  We'd probably use the outdoor kerosene lanterns like we do when we are camping, as a background light. We have used the oil lamps inside during a power outage but primarily for nostalgic reasons; it was our lighting in our summer cabin when I was a kid.

Offline Prepper456

  • Survivor
  • ***
  • Posts: 169
  • Karma: 7
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Kerosene Lamp info wanted please
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2019, 05:40:59 PM »
i like the solar light idea

Offline Redman

  • Survival Demonstrator
  • *******
  • Posts: 3889
  • Karma: 62
  • Lost in the 50's
Re: Kerosene Lamp info wanted please
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2019, 06:00:21 PM »
Yeah that is kind of cool.

Offline Prepper456

  • Survivor
  • ***
  • Posts: 169
  • Karma: 7
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Kerosene Lamp info wanted please
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2019, 06:44:19 PM »
what about battry candles?

Offline Citizen Zero

  • Senior Survivalist
  • ****
  • Posts: 253
  • Karma: 52
  • Rural Dweller
Re: Kerosene Lamp info wanted please
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2020, 10:02:58 PM »
Again I will weigh in on the Aladdin Lamps and pure paraffin fuel. Just recently we got 20" plus of snow and the power went out the first night it started falling. Usually I rely on the generator to power the house and keep the heat pump running, but our primary unit took a vacation due to a mouse house that shorted the main bus bars (I still need to repair it) and the secondary, which is identical, decided that it was not going to take the same load that the primary unit did before the rodent damage.

This left us with light and water from our well pumps and not much else. Upon waking the next morning the house was stone silent, stone cold and totally dark. The night before the generator had run out of fuel, I keep 100 gallons of diesel for it, but it needed 12V to power the transfer tank pump and the generator is US Military that runs on 24V (yes, I could have separated the battery connection to get 12V, but who wants to deal with that when it is dark and snowing like mad?). Being that was the case, I went to bed knowing that we were in for a long, dark and cold morning until the wood stove could be brought up to speed to do its thing.

In the meantime, and getting to the actual point.. I brought one of the several Aladdin mantle lamps we have into my office the next morning, closed the door behind me and got it started. Took a bit to clean off the layer of dust on the lamp since I have been remiss and not run any of them in more than seven years, but it fired right up using the old paraffin that was still in the fount. It produced more than enough light to easily see by, and more importantly provided much wanted heat for the small room. The radiance of a 60W bulb and the accompanying byproduct of a massive amount of heat in the process is not something that a standard kerosene lamp will give you.

Yes, there are concerns over Carbon Monoxide using any combustion based lamp indoors, but with the Aladdin lamps running Paraffin I have never experienced any of the symptoms of overexposure to Carbon Monoxide while using these lamps in the more than 25 years that I have used them for light, heat and/or just plain ambiance in my house. Typically the actual flame in these lamps is only 1/8" - 1/4" in height maximum, the heat is what excites the mantle to produce light and not the flame itself (same principle as the Coleman Propane Mantle Lanterns).

And, yes, after heating my office a bit and getting the wood stove going, I went outside in the snow and addressed the fuel problem for the generator and brought it online once it was finally light outside  ;) Lesson learned from that one, a new spare deep cycle battery is now stored just for pumping fuel when needed  :o

As with all things, this is just my $.02, not professional advice, YMMV  ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:12:05 PM by Citizen Zero »