Author Topic: providing enough food to live, easily, at home  (Read 3369 times)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
providing enough food to live, easily, at home
« on: December 05, 2016, 08:45:15 PM »
I was doing the math on calories on easy to get food yields, from my place, some is speculative, some I have done. Olive oil is speculative, grows well here, but needs to be pressed, I figure I need about 3 gallons a year, so trees are not large enough for this yield yet.

This is inspired by Carol Deepe, and publications from the how to grow more vegetables people ( one circle, etc...) and other sources of how to get the most calories for the least work, and they are right as to best yields for space and work. I am in poor physical health, and dont spend much time in garden, and when I do, I am alot slower than healthier people. So, it seems to me, that if I can easily grow or tend enough food for me, a healthier person could do more and provide for a family by scaling up.

Does any one else do this, or at least think about how htey would do it ? Always good to practice now (prove the concept, so it can be scaled up later)

Per week :
1 pound hard cheese   1828 calories     current                                                            fats/higher proteins/vitamins
1c olive oil                  1908                             theoretical
1 qt fluid goat milk        800                 current
1 dozen eggs                920                 current
( 1/2 pint chicken          377                 current, but I give this away or feed to dawg)

1 pnd sweet potato       400                   proved concept                                             carbs/vitamins (carb based proteins)
2 pnd potato                 700                  proved concept
1 butternut squash        250                 current
1 lb wheat                   1520                  proved concept
1/2 pound beans           790                  proved concept
dried flour corn

dried fruits & fresh         500                current                                                           sugars/vitamins/variety
canned fruits/jams         300                current can easily provide more calories
fruit juice/wines             600                current

kale/chard/etc..greens                          current                                                           vitamins/variety
peppers                                               current
tomatoes                                             current
cucumbers/pickles                                current
green beans                                         current
misc veggies                                        current

This is fine for one older person per week of nutrients and calories

It is also easy to grow chestnuts, but likely that could be a chicken food base. Animal feeds are bought in right now, excess milk and eggs are sold to buy alfalfa and grains. Right now I go thru 1 bale of alfalfa a week ( as we keep our own buck too) and 25 lbs of wheat and some peas for the chickens per month. Easy to grow goat forage is : Mulberry leaves, comfrey, while for chickens it would be chestnuts and pigeon pea and comfrey-- and various other perenials. If able, I intend to try out the concept of these perennial feeds.

This is not the ratio of what I currently eat though. But, It would likely be healthier. I do not eat that much sweet potato and winter squash and I eat more grains ( wheat, oats and rice). I also eat less cheese and eat butter and nuts.  I have been altering my diet based on the easy to grow , healthy foods, and so I am working on increasing sweet potato and winter squash. Eat what you can grow.

even if you do not grow enough for the whole year right now, it would be good to try out eating your planned home grown food now, to make sure you are fine with it, get teh kids used to it, so even if buying it, if you thought you would grow alot of high-carb veggies and beans if the SHTF, then good to have at least some meals with this now

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:58:04 PM by mountainmoma »
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: providing enough food to live, easily, at home
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 03:22:25 AM »
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 10:05:18 AM »
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 10:34:16 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 01:31:22 PM »

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 01:43:45 PM »
Are you gonna pass that around?  :impatient:

You're welcome to it, but it's ghost pepper parmesan.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 01:47:28 PM »
Oh ok.  ;D ;D

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 02:14:08 AM »

Offline AnnsSolo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 10:57:34 PM »
I am sort of in the proof of concept with "root cellaring" vegetables, which means in thrift store coolers since we have no cellar. We ate a cabbage tonight that I harvested three weeks ago that tasted great, and potatoes we kind of have dialed in. We are trying storing turnips, beets and carrots for the first time. I need to work better on growing root parsley and celeriac because those would be quite useful in my cooking. But as far as quantities, I have quite aways to go before I hit the desired level of production.

I do know that I like having a ridiculous amount of shallots, which I think of as a luxury item, in the pantry. We'll be lucky to eat them all before they sprout, and that's a great problem to have.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 11:08:39 PM »
I am sort of in the proof of concept with "root cellaring" vegetables, which means in thrift store coolers since we have no cellar. We ate a cabbage tonight that I harvested three weeks ago that tasted great, and potatoes we kind of have dialed in. We are trying storing turnips, beets and carrots for the first time. I need to work better on growing root parsley and celeriac because those would be quite useful in my cooking. But as far as quantities, I have quite aways to go before I hit the desired level of production.

I do know that I like having a ridiculous amount of shallots, which I think of as a luxury item, in the pantry. We'll be lucky to eat them all before they sprout, and that's a great problem to have.

I like the non-refrigerated storage concepts you are working out ! I also do not have a root cellar.In a few months, when you have more data on storing the new foods, tell us how it turned out over in storing food preps area.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 11:44:02 PM »
We're in the root cellar *maybe, should we, yes, no, shoulda, where, how* talking stage.
We're slowly loosing our hard raised potatoes. Shriveling up, with 6-8" sprouts.  :o
Not having a cool place soon enough to store them is/was/may be the problem. It's 50 degrees in there now.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 09:12:38 AM »
We're in the root cellar *maybe, should we, yes, no, shoulda, where, how* talking stage.
We're slowly loosing our hard raised potatoes. Shriveling up, with 6-8" sprouts.  :o
Not having a cool place soon enough to store them is/was/may be the problem. It's 50 degrees in there now.

you need to knock those sprouts off sooner. You can dice them and dehydrate, or makes veg soup (pressure canned) for some of them. They will cook up just fine right now, wont make it until June or anything. You may want to plant later, to harvest later, so them it is closer to good storage temp.

Yes, I put mine under the house in the crawl space for a month or two, then move to the garage when the temperature goes down. I am also thinking I may want 2 harvest of short season potatoes, one planted feb or march to harvest may/june, one planted june/july to harvest in fall. In other words, give up on long storage potatoes. And, Idealy to dehydrate alot of harvest

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 08:21:57 AM »
Thanks. Yes, we need to do something with them soon. Wife was *not wanting to can them when we harvested, but now thinking we need to.
May dehydrate, but need a what-cha-macallit to slice in even, consistent slices.  That's another 30-40 bucks for tools.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 08:43:58 AM »
Thanks. Yes, we need to do something with them soon. Wife was *not wanting to can them when we harvested, but now thinking we need to.
May dehydrate, but need a what-cha-macallit to slice in even, consistent slices.  That's another 30-40 bucks for tools.

boil, peel, and shred.  then dehydrate.  They make great hashbrowns.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 09:08:14 AM »
Ah. Another idea. Thanks

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 12:15:58 PM »
I am sort of in the proof of concept with "root cellaring" vegetables, which means in thrift store coolers since we have no cellar.

I am also proofing this concept for my family....  Our ground water is way too high to have success with a root cellar and we have no hillside to gain an advantage with drainage.  So, I built a shed atop a thick concrete pad that starts below grade, then used 2x6 construction in the walls and 2x8 construction in the ceiling.  This enabled me to utilize rigid foam insulation and get roughly an R35 in the walls and an R44 in the ceiling.  I also integrated enough power to utilize a ductless heat pump so that I can keep temps from swinging much throughout the year.  This is mainly for canned goods, but predict we'll get some benefit with fresh goods as well.