Author Topic: Preservatives for home made bread?  (Read 3430 times)

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
Preservatives for home made bread?
« on: December 31, 2016, 01:20:08 PM »
I love to make bread but I can never consume it quick enough.
I get it, home made no preservatives. But is there anything that can be added to bread to make it last a bit longer?
I'm not talking about a chemical that can't be pronounced but something that is available.
Negotiating with obama is like playing chess with a pigeon , the pigeon knocks over all the pieces , shits on the board, then struts around on the board like it won the game.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
Re: Preservatives for home made bread?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 01:30:42 PM »
We don't use anything but I find the freezer works well for short periods.  It can freezer burn in a hurry but works well for probably the same amount of time a preservative would.
Remember when you leave this earth, you take nothing that you have received – only what you have given: a heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice, and courage. - St. Francis of Assisi

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 02:56:29 PM »
Was raised on homemade bread.  Freezer was how my family extended life between batches.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 03:03:44 PM »
We always just used a bread-box for up to 10 days. A cool dark place.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 05:40:15 PM »
My fiance makes bread quite a bit too. We've found that storage makes a big difference. Plastic bags are a double-edged sword: they retain moisture and can cause mold quicker, but can also keep it from going stale in drier climates (this is what usually works for us). A paper bag will also work. A basket lined with a clean towel is best, but our loaves are usually too large until we eat 2/3 of it. If you find yourself making lots of bread, I'd consider a bread box if you have the space/budget.

As far as preservatives go, I've heard you can add some acids (ascorbic acid, citric acid, etc.) to increase shelf life, though we've never tried it.

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 06:13:18 PM »
To improve shelf life you're essentially looking to add gums, starches, and emulsifiers. These are the tools to control moisture in baked goods. I think you could experiment with adding xanthan gum or gellan gum but maybe the emulsifiers in an egg yolk would help and not add yucky stuff? It's real hard to do this without the vast chemicals used in industry.

Why not let it stale and use it for French toast, breadcrumbs, croutons, Italian bread salad, .....
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 07:22:18 PM »
You can use vitamin C. I don't. With just SP and me, I make mini loaves in mini pans and 1/3 my usual recipe. I think day old bread sucks, so I turn it into bread crumbs for croutons or dressing, or Brown Betty.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 04:39:49 AM »
My ancient grandmother,when us kid were headed to the woods,would cook home made bread hotter and darken the crust so as to better protect it from pack wear and ,I suspect,preserve it longer,as we would stay out for days at a time....it was a safer world in the woods near San Antonio in the 60's.

Grandma was full blooded Mescalero indian ,she taught us grandkids many things on our summer vacations from school as how to live off what we found.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 08:32:14 AM »
Carl, an probably did not make yeast bread?

Cedar

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 10:23:19 AM »
Carl, an probably did not make yeast bread?

Cedar

She would make yeast 'loaf' bread but leaned heavy on tortilla like breads and biscuits and corn based hard tack.

Life was hard as she raised NINE children while FIVE BROTHERS all went off to fight in WWII and the house had no indoor plumbing or electricity till the mid 70's. Grandma always looked 100 years old to us grandkids and carried the wisdom of YODA.

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 01:20:08 PM »
I always let the bread cool well before putting in a zip lock. Mold is not the problem, getting hard as rock is.
Negotiating with obama is like playing chess with a pigeon , the pigeon knocks over all the pieces , shits on the board, then struts around on the board like it won the game.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 04:46:10 PM »
I always let the bread cool well before putting in a zip lock. Mold is not the problem, getting hard as rock is.

Hm, might want to try David's suggestion and experiment with some gums/starches then. I've only ever used xanthan gum, and only to thicken sauces. Has a tendency to make things slimy if you use too much, and you usually need to make a slurry before adding it (like with cornstarch) to prevent it from clumping.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 07:52:55 PM »
In Canada, my friend's when many of them bake the weekly breadbreadp, chucked it out in a snowbank when it was -40f or colder to flash freeze, before wrapping them and putting them in the indoor freezer. I did not try it, but from my laundry results, I have no doubt that was the way to go to cool bread for freezing

Cedar

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 09:06:21 AM »

If I was still in the industry we'd probably try a "dough conditioner" which would be a combination of monoglycerides, sodium stearoyl lactylate, an acid source (ascorbic), phosphates, and maybe a vinegar-like stabilizer like PGMS. I'd also be working with lead chemists from Danisco, Innophos, and ICL.

I'm not sure this helps. It really is the yucky stuff that (in my mind) sacrifices quality for longevity. I'd rather bake bread daily than eat that garbage. And from a cost structure, you'll rapidly find you're adding $1 of functional ingredients to save $0.25 of flour. Believe me this is THE challenge in the baked goods industry.

I wish I had a better way to help but from an ingredient standpoint the "big guns" are costly and gross. Natural emulsifiers like butter aand egg yolk are often too weak to make a real difference but maybe give you just enough for an extra day shelf life. Wish I had more.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 09:44:59 AM »
What tempeture are you cooking with,maybe lower temps will leave a bit more useful moisture in the bread?

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 04:22:45 PM »
What tempeture are you cooking with,maybe lower temps will leave a bit more useful moisture in the bread?
Last loaf was a quick rise dutch oven bread. So 450d for 25 min.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 07:20:23 PM »
Last loaf was a quick rise dutch oven bread. So 450d for 25 min.

I would suggest you try 375 for 30 to 35 minutes,but I am no expert...you seem to be cooking a bit too hot and drying out the bread.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 08:32:56 PM »
stuffing. Great for making stuffing. Or, as Knustler's World Made by Hand series calls it, "puddings" . A baked casserole of leftover stale bread cubes ( regular or corn bread) mixed with milk and/or eggs ( to moisten it back up) , sauteed or leftover veggies, etc... and baked.

Something to do with it while you work out your system. My dd LOVES stuffing. I routinely cut up leftover bread before it gets too hard to cut, and let it dry a bit more, and store in jars for this.

Maybe your dough isnt moist enough when you are mixing it up. My last nights bread was:

1 1/2 cups water, 3 1/4 cups organc white flour ( Costco), 2 1/4 t salt, 2 1/4 t yeast (costco)   mixed together with  dough hook in my mixer, but can do by hand as this is a no-knead recipe from the book Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes A Day  This is the master recipe from this book, cut in half  ( although, I think a ratio of 1:2 water to flour is about right in general  -  the moisture in your flour can vary and adjustments sometimes are needed)  I realy like this book

I let it rise, sometime later pushed it down and put it on a flour coated towel back in the bowl for final rise. Oven at 425'F, cast iron dutch oven preheated in the oven, dough dropped into  hot pan ( no oil, no corn meal etc,,) quickly slashed 3 times on top, baked for 45 minutes.

this loaf can be cut in half, and half frozen, so you dont need to make tons of stuffing, or make a smaller loaf
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 10:54:34 AM »
stuffing. Great for making stuffing. Or, as Knustler's World Made by Hand series calls it, "puddings" . A baked casserole of leftover stale bread cubes ( regular or corn bread) mixed with milk and/or eggs ( to moisten it back up) , sauteed or leftover veggies, etc... and baked.

Something to do with it while you work out your system. My dd LOVES stuffing. I routinely cut up leftover bread before it gets too hard to cut, and let it dry a bit more, and store in jars for this.

Maybe your dough isnt moist enough when you are mixing it up. My last nights bread was:

1 1/2 cups water, 3 1/4 cups organc white flour ( Costco), 2 1/4 t salt, 2 1/4 t yeast (costco)   mixed together with  dough hook in my mixer, but can do by hand as this is a no-knead recipe from the book Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes A Day  This is the master recipe from this book, cut in half  ( although, I think a ratio of 1:2 water to flour is about right in general  -  the moisture in your flour can vary and adjustments sometimes are needed)  I realy like this book

I let it rise, sometime later pushed it down and put it on a flour coated towel back in the bowl for final rise. Oven at 425'F, cast iron dutch oven preheated in the oven, dough dropped into  hot pan ( no oil, no corn meal etc,,) quickly slashed 3 times on top, baked for 45 minutes.

this loaf can be cut in half, and half frozen, so you dont need to make tons of stuffing, or make a smaller loaf

I forgot to say, the bread is made in a COVERED dutch oven, you need to put the lid back on, this keeps the steam in the dutch oven and is what gives it a good french bread crust with a soft interior
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 04:47:58 AM »
I love to make bread but I can never consume it quick enough.
I get it, home made no preservatives. But is there anything that can be added to bread to make it last a bit longer?
I'm not talking about a chemical that can't be pronounced but something that is available.

Try replacing the sugar in your recipe with honey. I bake 2 loaves of multi- grain bread about every 10 days using 1/3 cup honey in the recipe. Bake at 375* for no more than 30 minutes. I keep it in plastic in the refrigerator. Never had a mold or dryness problem. I also cut up the ends and run though the food processor for bread crumb for schnitzel, etc.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 08:04:31 PM »
If you cannot use a loaf before it gets stale, try letting the loaf cool after baking and then slice as desired before freezing. Then, you can easily take out the number of slices you want at a time. This will get freezer burn more quickly than a whole loaf, it seems, but still works pretty well if you use the bread regularly.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2017, 11:18:02 AM »
Wife usually bakes enough for a week (3 loaves) and it usually works out about right.
If it does mold, we just feed it to the critters
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016