Author Topic: AR15 build for lefties  (Read 1264 times)

Offline quiet-man

• Prepper
AR15 build for lefties
« on: January 22, 2017, 07:45:03 PM »
I'm at a stage where I'm preparing to pass my "stuff" off to my kids & Gr. kids. One of my son-in-laws is a total "leftie". I'd like to build him a basic AR for lefties and have questions. I see Rock River Arms has an upper that must be used w/ their leftie lowers. Why is that? Will they not function somehow? I'm trying to keep my cost down using my existing "stuff". I'm installing an ambidextrous safety, but think he can get used to a standard mag release. Can anyone enlighten me?

Offline Arky

• Prepper
Re: AR15 build for lefties
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 07:02:40 PM »
If it is their LEF-T, they eject the brass out the left side to keep it from hitting lefties in the face. It is a complete mirror imaged gun.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Sequanti

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 09:32:24 PM »
I am a lefty through and through—left-handed, left eye dominant, and even have two left feet (when dancing).

My short answer would be you don't need to do anything different to the standard AR set up. Most lefties easily adapt and there would be a good argument to be made for learning to use things in their standard configuration. I have never had an issue with brass hitting me anywhere—much less the face. It usually ejects brass straight to the right or slightly forward, although I suppose a weak or overly strong extractor/ejector could cause that.

With that said, the beauty of the AR platform is that you don't have to accept that answer. While I would personally not want a lefty only rifle, the following ambidextrous additions would be a nice touch in order of my preference…

• charging handle—without this it is "claw-only"
  • safety—why not
  • mag release
  • bolt release (optional)

My angle on this is recreational and mildly competitive shooting. I would love to hear others have to say.

Offline mysterion

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 10:10:21 AM »
you can build AR's with side chargers and left hand eject and left hand bolts. I would just build an ambidextrous lower, get one of the many left hand uppers available, you also get side charger tbars--cocking handle. lefties no longer have to be handicapped with right hand nnly safeties and rounds that fly in front of our field of vision Just type left hand upper ar15 in a search engine ..make sure you get a left hand bolt that will eject out the left

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 02:13:49 PM »
I am like Sequanti, lefty through and through.  I also own and regularly shoot ARs.  The only thing for me that is an absolute must is an ambi fire selector.  The rest is nice to have.  An ambi mag release is nice and all my rifles are so equipped but I've trained myself out of using them. I used Norgon releases.  They are small and unobtrusive and easy to use. While not necessary, I do like ambi charging handles.  Make the rifle a tad easier to run.   I've never seen the need for a left eject rifle as the built in brass deflectors work just fine.

TNV

"Twice as much isn't twice as good and can't sustain like one half could"

Offline Desert Survivor

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 08:03:28 PM »
If you are still looking, Georgia Shore Tactical has some nice left handed uppers. They are side charge, with the standard charge handle as well. I have one ordered for my daughter. I bought one of their right handed side charge, and I like it so much more than the standard. It does take a long time to get one from these guys, but if you are not in a hurry, they have some great stuff.