Author Topic: Coax and Gutter tube  (Read 1097 times)

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Coax and Gutter tube
« on: February 26, 2017, 02:11:27 PM »
I need want to run some coax...  not sure how many runs at the moment,.. at least 3 I would wager for what I need into my attic from my soon to be relocated office space here at home.

The shortest path is of course straight up,.. but makes for a hassel for having to deal with two sill plates and insulation.

I do have a single pipe I could run it in,.. but it's not going to handle the runs and the cat5 cable I also will need to run at some point.

So the thought is to go external of the house, and use Guttering to make it look all nice and pretty.  Pretty much the same as they would do HVAC plumbing.

Is there any issue with running RF - Coax the same way, or would the leaking RF cause to much reflected power?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Coax and Gutter tube
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 05:44:57 PM »
While coax does 'leak' a bit of RF,you should have no problem routing the coax in a plastic ,PVC,or metal gutter though CAT 5 may have
a little problem unless it is well shielded. Coax has some loss on any band and SWR is reflected power due to antenna mismatch...feedline
loss will only make SWR look better than it is in real life as reflected power will indicate as a bit less than actual due to feedline loss working both ways.

Simple answer...don't worry about it.Run it in a gutter,just use caution not to snag a sharp edge.