Author Topic: Starting an Apple Tree Orchard  (Read 5354 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Starting an Apple Tree Orchard
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2017, 07:26:25 AM »
Too much water?

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2017, 09:37:51 AM »
Long term, you can use milky spore to kill off the larvae.

But check out this article by Mike McGrath of the You Bet your Garden podcast.  It's full of solutions to Japanese beetles.

Don't know what's up with the tree, could be transplant shock, I guess.

Whoops...  Forget my DE comments...  I didn't use DE.  I used milky spore.   :-[ :facepalm:

Is it too soon to show symptoms of being root bound?  I doubt that's what it is since it was a bare root planting, but curious what the more experienced on the board will say.

I remember reading about being careful with the location, especially in harder soil.  And that the hole the tree is planted in could cause a water build up.  The theory is that water fills the loosely packed hole because the tighter soil around it doesn't allow for as good drainage.  And causes the roots to not get enough air, disease, and maybe root rot. 
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."
- Isaac Asimov

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2017, 04:40:57 AM »
Too much water?

Cedar

Could be. The Liberty is slightly down hill of the GD. Bigbear may have a good theory. Relatively the same but the GD has a slight natural swell. Maybe I can direct run off away from the Liberty?  It should be good drainage but like he said, I dug a big 20 dollar hole for my 5 dollar tree. Maybe it's soaking too much up.
Black & Gold.
“Government, even in it's best state is but a necessary evil ; In its worst state, an intolerable one.” - Thomas Paine

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2017, 07:55:03 AM »
Honestly, I would leave it alone. See what it does. I don't baby mine at all. I plant .in in usually moderately high clay soil. Just throw rabbit manure on them once in awhile. Water in summer when it is super hot. I never pinch anything off, prune starting their see one year. Survival of the fittest on mine, as I want them to be around long after I am gone.

Sounds like it was a discount/clearence tree? Some of those are are dicey anyway, most as someone culled them for shape or age in their bags. Maybe the rootstock on yours (probably a dwarf) doesn't like wet feet. Could be transplant shock.

I grafted up dozens of new trees in 2016, two died, two the top stock died, the rest lived and are thriving in their buckets (still working on getting oak stumps out of the orchard area so I can plant them). Why did two die? Who knows... i did not do anything different than the others, and at that time they all overwintered in the same five gallon bucket. Some just don't make it.

Cedar

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2017, 04:03:47 AM »
I'm leaving in be for now. It's warmed back up but still more rain coming.

I got them from Gurney's. Bare root full size. I've had good luck with them so far. Although I am wondering where my Goji berry & Saskatoon Blueberry plants are right now.

Your soil sounds like mine. I have about 4'' top soil then thick clay. Most things seem to grow well here though. That's why I wonder if I've made any mistakes when planting something new.
Black & Gold.
“Government, even in it's best state is but a necessary evil ; In its worst state, an intolerable one.” - Thomas Paine

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2017, 04:51:33 AM »
Just to update: The Golden Deliciouses is growing like a bush! It's doing great. The Liberty's leaves wilted so I picked them off. The tree seems to still be alive. I'm thinking about cutting this 3ft bare root in half so that it might live by putting it's energy into it's roots.

Is this a good idea to save a tree or will it just stress it more? I'm not sure what to do for it.

I did spray with dr earth fertilizer but not sure that'll help with no leaves to spray.
Black & Gold.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2017, 10:03:48 AM »
If it were mine, I would leave it be.

Cedar

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2017, 09:04:55 PM »
On a related note, I was walking my back yard today an noticed a new apple drop under one of my apple trees and picked it up.  I just now got around to eating it and it was fabulous.  The funny thing is that it was just a red Macintosh apple, nothing exotic, but is was better than almost every store bought apple.  Fine flesh, not mealy, kind of tart along with sweetness.  Nice combination of flavors.

I just planted these three years ago and this is the first real production I have from this tree.  If the animals don't get them, there are about 10 more apples still on the tree.

Just thought I would share and hopefully push another suburbanite to planting some apple trees.  They are worth it.

Jerseyboy

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2017, 04:48:13 AM »
jerseyboy, Looking forward to that day. I should have planted 20 years ago.

I messed up so now I recommend that any new land owner plant fruit trees asap.

Just to update: The Golden D is about 8 ft high and doing fine. The deer nibbed it pretty good but it survived.
The Liberty is still a 3ft stick. No sign of life but it still seems bendable so maybe it will take off next spring.
Black & Gold.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2017, 06:44:38 PM »
@Jerseyboy: I agree with you... no matter the variety, homegrown always seems to be the best-tasting ever! I am really enjoying this year's crop.

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2017, 04:45:39 AM »
Just to update: The Golden D grew great this year and the Liberty never got any better than earlier posted.
The Liberty is most likely dead but still feels flexible so I've left it be and will see what happens in the spring.

My Golden Delicious did a great job and is near 8ft high and grew bush like. That's the reason I really wanted to post.
This tree grew well but has very healthy branches coming off in from low near grown. I've read that I should not prune the 1st year.  I know this tree needs pruned but I'm not sure I should yet. Should I give it to this time next year before I prune it?

I'm in Ohio and below 32 temps have already been here.

I also planted 2 Sergent crapapples last spring and they did great. I'm hoping they make good pollinators.

And Also,Also I planted a North Star Cherry tree this spring that did very well so I have the same questions about it.

Black & Gold.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2017, 04:56:26 PM »
Is the low to the ground branches above or below the graft? If below, cut them off flush.

Cedarl

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2017, 04:57:52 AM »
Is the low to the ground branches above or below the graft? If below, cut them off flush.

Cedarl

It's all above the graft. The lowest one is about 4-5" above soil so that's above the graft. I planted the graft just barely above soil so should be good. Alot of suckers grew down in that low range though. Really looks bush like. I know I'll need to prune these off but don't want to interfere with it growing strong roots. Maybe wait and prune this time next year?

I've done some tree pruning but a baby fruit tree is new to me.
Black & Gold.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2017, 07:28:40 AM »
I'd take anything off flush under 18" from the ground. Why did you plant the graft so low? Mine are at least 12" - 18" above the ground.

Send a pic and I can try to virtually prune it for you if you like. I have done it for other people.

Cedar

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2017, 04:43:13 AM »
I'd take anything off flush under 18" from the ground. Why did you plant the graft so low? Mine are at least 12" - 18" above the ground.

Send a pic and I can try to virtually prune it for you if you like. I have done it for other people.

Cedar

You plant the graft that high?! I read that it just needs to be above soil. I have no experience with grafted trees. I may have grew an apple BUSH by accident!

These were bareroot trees that I ordered. They were too small to get that high but I might have needed to get higher. I just made sure the graft was well above soil. I'm not sure how these grafted trees behave yet.

Black & Gold.