Author Topic: Porcupine Kate's Garden 2017  (Read 5109 times)

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
Porcupine Kate's Garden 2017
« on: April 11, 2017, 04:24:59 PM »
This year will be a challenge and I know you guys will cheer me on so I can get it done. I am gardening in NH and this will be the 4th season gardening on this property. It will be a bigger challenge for me because I am having some health issues that are yet to be resolved and are seriously slowing me down.   

The good news is we are adding 2 more garden beds this year.  One for flowers near the house and the other one will be for potatoes and winter squash.  We also manged to get 2 large loads of wood chips delivered when the power company was trimming trees this winter. 

I will post pictures soon but I wanted to get this thread started. 

Offline Jeff NH

• Survivor
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me.
    • Free State Project
Re: Porcupine Kate's Garden 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 08:05:29 PM »
Maybe you could have a planting party...

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »
Hope your health improves, and post pics of your garden when you can.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 06:46:04 AM »
Maybe you could have a planting party...

I hadn't thought of that. 

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 11:39:39 AM »
Yes, pics when you get a chance, please!

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 07:11:17 AM »

We have been snow free for about a week and the ground is finally thawing.  The daffodils are just starting to emerge.  So here is the beginning photos. 

My dinning room has been taken over by baby chicks and seedling production. 

Here is the lower part of the garden.  The mesh is over the garlic bed. Last year we started putting wood chips between the raised beds because we could get them free from our town's transfer station. 

This winter the power company was trimming trees along the road and delivered 2 loads of wood chips to us.  I love the when the wood chip leaves us presents. 

Unfortunately all 4 of our bee hives died this fall and winter.  It will let me put in a new garden bed behind the hives.  The chickens have been working on it for us.  I will be planting potatoes and winter squash in it.  I tried planting here last year but the bees keep stinging me. 

Since the hives are empty we are moving them.  My husband is building a new stand for the hives and putting up posts for electricity and eventually a bee hut.  This spot gets great morning sun and some afternoon shade and allow me to easily garden in the back yard.  He needs to finish this tomorrow.  I am getting 2 boxs of bees on Sunday.

One of my husband's other projects is the garden pond.  We are hoping to get it finished this summer.  It needs a liner and things keep popping up like a new well pump and MRI co pays that keep pushing the pond to a lower priority.

Here are some before photos of our various garden beds.

This is a strawberry bed in the lower left corner and flower bed on the right with 2 apple trees. You can see another bed near the wood chips and the corner of our mobile chicken coop.  The 8 baby NH Red chicks will be moving into it once next month.  The mobile coop will be in the back yard by then.

This is the herb bed that is just starting to come to life.

More raised beds and the edge of the future pond.

This is my kitchen garden.  We added this bed last year right in front of the porch. I am in the process of planting snap peas and spinach in it. It will also get kale, herbs and some other greens in it.  I like having the stuff I use the most close at hand when I am cooking. I am putting feed bags and cardboard down between the rows and they will be covered in wood chips.

Here is a photo of the big swale berm.  It is full of fruit trees and shrubs.  I am hoping to get it weeded and mulched this year. I also need to work on plant markers for all this stuff. 

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 08:10:43 AM »
That is REALLY cool!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 04:37:02 PM »
I remember when the heavy equipment came to your house, looking good

My dining room has been taken over by baby chicks and seedling production. 

It happens... at least there are not carburetors on the kitchen table too?

Cedar

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 05:43:39 PM »
Yes.  We rented a backhoe to build the swales and many of the raised beds. 

Not carburetors on the kitchen table but I do have boxes of beads, wire and cabochon gemstones all over the living room floor right now.  Since I am sitting a lot these days I have started making jewelry again.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 11:26:26 AM »
Today I picked up 2 new boxes of bees! 
They are still getting settled.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 12:27:09 PM »
Italians?

Cedar

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 01:14:08 PM »
One box is Italians and the other is Carniolan.  I forgot to ask which box was which but I will figure it out once they are more settled. 

I have had Italians before and I tried Russians last year but they kept stinging me anytime I got near the hive and they died in fall so I am done with Russian bees. 

Offline Jeremy Downing

• Senior Survivalist
  • Poodle loving prepper
    • Jeremy Downing's Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 05:36:22 PM »
That looks fantastic. Well done!

“When governments fear the people, there is liberty.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), US Founding Father, drafted the Declaration of Independence, 3rd US President

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 08:06:57 PM »
Looking good !
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 12:21:12 PM »
Today  I am planting Hardy Kiwi and Seascape Strawberries while I get my well pump and pressure tank replaced.  Once the strawberry beds are weeded, planted, and mulched I need to get the asparagus, potatoes, and onions in the ground.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 05:54:52 PM »
I am trying to hurry up and get everything either planted or prepped for planting as fast as I can.  I am in a race against time.  I don't know when I will run out of time but it will be when the tiny but thoroughly evil  black flies arrive.   

In that effort I hope to recruit my husband to do lots of digging and mulching this weekend.   The ground is thawed, we have a small mountain of wood chips and I just had 9 yards of compost delivered.

I am already putting it to good use.  I filled in my strawberry patch  and planted 3 hardy kiwi vines.

These are Seascape day neutral strawberries and a 4 in one pear tree. 

My lovage is popping up along with my daffodils and  rhubarb

Here is one of the Hardy Kiwi.  There are 2 female and one male plant.

Offline Jeremy Downing

• Senior Survivalist
  • Poodle loving prepper
    • Jeremy Downing's Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 08:37:56 AM »
Looks great. :)

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), US Founding Father, drafted the Declaration of Independence, 3rd US President

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 05:22:09 PM »
It is finally getting warm enough for spring!  We were busy this weekend getting stuff in the ground and starting to get stuff fed and mulched for the season. 

I am not worried about a hard freeze so the rain barrel is up and running for the season. 

The yard is greening up and the daffodils are blooming.  The fruit trees are just starting to bud.  I still need to take the mouse guards off season.   
The bees are loving the warm weather and early flowering trees. 

The front yard is starting to look a lot better.  I love all the flowers.

I came outside to find some shiitake mushrooms.  We keep these logs next to the
hose spigot so I can easily water them.

This patch of wood chips is our Wine Cap  Mushrooms bed.  We are hoping to get them established in this spot and then spread them around the garden.     

My bunching onions and garlic are doing well.  I am hoping to mulch them with compost this week. 

I have gotten the parsnips seeds in the ground.  I am hoping these do well this year. 

The herb bed is just starting wake up.  I am hoping the high bush cranberries flower this year.

My husband pounded in fence posts so I can contain the raspberry and blackberry canes. 

We also planted an asparagus bed this weekend.  The pathways still need to be mulched. 

My husband is reshaping several of my raised beds.  Since we are on the side of a hill and we are trying to have more consistency in our bed sizes so he build a jig for shaping the beds. 

This is King George.  He does a great job taking care of the hens.

Here is King George and the girls working on my soon to be new garden bed.   

Offline Jeremy Downing

• Senior Survivalist
  • Poodle loving prepper
    • Jeremy Downing's Blog
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 06:22:38 AM »
I love it. Looks awesome. :)

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 07:56:50 AM »
So many changes! It looks so good!

I love George. He's such a good caretaker of "his ladies."

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2017, 02:40:40 PM »
I built a new raised bed and planted potatoes at the same time.  I got the idea from one of my PDC teachers Sean Dembroski.  He is doing all sorts of cool things in the Finger Lakes region of NY.
http://www.edibleacres.org/video

I used my Meadow Creature to broad fork the bed.  Then I added a layer of compost and set the seed potatoes 12" apart in 2 rows. Then I dug up the soil in the walk way and piled it on top of the potatoes. 

This is a photo half way through burying sprouted potatoes.

The seed potatoes were left over potatoes that we grew last year and didn't eat.  I figured they may or may not be diseased but I figured I would try them in a new garden plot that still needs to have raised bed made.

I put low tunnel hoops over the bed and covered it with netting.  You can see the bottoms of the low tunnel hoops in the bottom of the photo.  Hopefully this will keep the chickens from scratching apart the bed and keep the potato beetles off the plants.   

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 05:20:31 PM »
Today I plant my first tomatoes of the season in the cold frame. These are Tiny Tim tomatoes. They are a cherry tomato that only gets 1 to 2 feet tall. They are already starting to set flowers and I should start getting tomatoes in mid June. They should be done for the season just as the rest of the tomatoes start producing.  http://hudsonvalleyseed.com/vegetables/tomatoes/tiny-tim-tomato.html

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 06:50:16 PM »
This is the big weekend to get the rest of the garden planted.  I will post more pictures once the planting is done.  Also we have had so many cloudy and rainy days I haven't had a nice sunny day to take photos. 

The big mile stone today is the little chickens but themselves away by themselves for the first time. They have been in the mobile a little over a week and finally venturing below to the covered run and today was the first time they also put themselves to bed at night.  They are a month and a half old and we will integrate them in with the rest of the flock once they are close to full size. 

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 07:45:16 AM »
Waiting on pictures but I hear it's raining.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2017, 09:58:56 AM »
  It look like it is coming along great Kate,today.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 12:14:12 PM »
Waiting on pictures but I hear it's raining.

Pictures will be delayed a few more days.  My father in law had a stroke so my planting schedule has been delayed so I can help the family out. My father in law is recovering but he still has a long way to go.

It has been very cool and rainy this month so much of the planting has had to wait till things warmed up so it is not a bad thing that the planting is delayed.

I am hoping to get the rest of the spring planting done this weekend assuming it doesn't rain too much.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 12:17:38 PM »
Looking for pics  :'(

Cedar

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2017, 10:54:51 AM »
I believe the garden was waiting for me to leave for a few days to start growing.  Everything has exploded in the last few days. 

The baby chicks are getting big.  I love when one of the older hens comes over and you can tell it is trying to teach the young ones how to forage.  I haven't caught it on film but I will keep trying.

George and the older girls are still just looking for treats. 

Here are the bee hives and I am finally getting getting wildflowers growing on this part of the hill.  Only the 2 hives on the left have bees.  The other frames are just being staged there till I need to put them on the hives.

I am growing potatoes under netting to see if it will keep the potato beetles off of them.  It is full of sunflower sprouts due to feeding the chickens there so they would scratch out the weeds before I planted.  I will pull them before I hill them up again and feed them to the chickens.   

The hazelnuts are doing well.  This one is the happiest of the bunch.

The grass is really trying to take over.  My angelica is thriving, the asparagus has survived the deer trampling and I am not sure if the peach tree will make it.  It is just starting to leaf out and only on part of the tree. The other peach tree is in similar shape.

My lovage.  It took me 3 years of trying to get this established and it is thriving.  I use it to flavor soups and stews since I can't eat celery.  There is also strawberry, blueberries, and milkweed in this photo.

Here is part of the annual garden beds.  I now behind in getting them planted.  The peppers, tomatillos, and eggplant are in for the season and I have 2/3 of the tomatoes in these beds.  Garlic is in the background.

Several of the raspberries are setting buds and my husband is super excited. 

The Jostaberries look like they are going to take off this year.  They were struggling last year. 

Hopefully this bed of wood chips will give us wine cap mushrooms this fall.  We are hoping to spread them throughout the garden once we get them established.

I only have 2 thornless blackberries so we are trying to tip root this one so can expand the berry patch. 

This year's attempt at establishing an asparagus patch is much better than the last 2 attempts.  Hopefully the deer won't trample this batch. 

Something is trying to dig out my seedlings.  Luckily I have extra tomato seedlings to fill in with.  My husband is working on figuring out what it is and how it is getting into the garden.

This lilac was from a shrub that was being ripped out to make a community garden to grow veggies for a local soup kitchen.  Both the lilac and the garden are thriving.  I am hoping the lilac will flower next year. 

I hope I planted enough pepper plants. These are mostly sweet peppers and jalapenos. 

The garlic is looking really happy.  This is the 2nd season I have been saving my own garlic.  It is a hard neck variety called Music.  I am looking forward to scapes.

I am experimenting with using cattle panels to support my bigger tomatoes.  I have Upstate Oxheart planted along this fence.  The fruits easily weigh 1 to 3 pounds each and love the flavor of these tomatoes.  They do tend to pull down weaker supports so I am hoping this works. 
http://hudsonvalleyseed.com/vegetables/tomatoes/upstate-oxheart-tomato.html

These Irises were a gift from a friend last year.  They were a thank you for helping her with her first veggie garden.  Irises are one of my favorite flowers.

My thyme and sage are flowering already.  Unfortunately our local bee populations were hit really hard this past winter and I am not seeing all the native bees this year.

This is my oldest patch of waling onions.  I will be spreading the bulblets throughout my perennial plantings this fall.

I have named this oregano Godzilla.  It is about 3 feet in diameter and the number one favorite pollinator flower when it is blooming.  I never see less then 8 different kinds of pollinators on it.  I will be harvesting and drying the oregano to make it bloom latter and need to divide it and replant it on the hill.

Here is a very happy sage, comfrey, and sour pie cherry. I will cut the comfrey down once the blooms start to die. The bumble bees love them and there are not many of them this year. 

One of my high bush cranberry is blooming for the first time.  I love how pretty this shrub is. 

Last year I grew some multiplier potato onions.  I replanted them this spring.  They are so much easier than starting onions from seed. 

My rhubarb is determined to flower this year.

It looks like I won't need to buy bunching onion seed next year.

Blueberries

We were going to get a pond liner this year till we had to get the well pump and pressure tank replaced.  So it will be a wildflower garden this year. 

One of the strawberry beds.  These are ever bearing we are working on getting as much of the grass mulched as possible to slow the weeds downs and reduce watering.  We are on a windy hill with sandy soil that drains too well so we mulch.

This is a male hardy Kiwi.  The 2 females are not doing well.  Hopefully they will make it but they need warmer conditions to get established than we had this spring.  Frost killed the sprouting leaves twice since I planted them.

I should have a lot of strawberries in a few weeks. My June bearing strawberries are very happy this year.  There are some walking onions, comfrey, daffodils, and irises in this bed too.

This comfrey is 4 feet tall and covered in blooms. 

I love that all of this is in my front yard. 

I need to thin out the California Poppies and Boston Buttons.  I have more flowers I replace them with.  This berm full of flowers is my favorite part of the garden. 

Peas, carrots, parsnips, and diakon radish.  Unfortunately the flea beetles  are hitting the diakon pretty hard.  They also wiped out my early bock choi seedlings.

My dwarf cherry tomatoes are finally starting to set flowers. I was hoping to get tomatoes by mid June but it doesn't look like I will be that lucky. 

The kitchen garden is coming along nicely.  I have various herbs, snap peas, bush beans, and spinach growing here this year. 

One of my grapes is setting flowers this year.  I am hoping I get fruit this year.

I still have a ton of planting to do so I will post more when that is done. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2017, 11:18:53 AM »
  Probably moles and or VOLES eating the good stuff, I use mint plants to persuade them to go somewhere else. Gravel in the soil will slow them from digging .
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2017, 12:46:53 PM »
This sort of digging up seedlings looks like a skunk did it.  Could be a woodchuck since they love my garden.   I garden in NH and voles and moles are used to lots of rocks due to living in the Granite State. My property is glacial sand so it is easy to dig in, full of rocks, low in nutrients and low in organic matter.