Author Topic: The 100 watt ,all band, all mode,$500 HF budget radio..Alinco DXSR8  (Read 5892 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
  I rarely take notice of Alinco as it is a brand I have rarely had use of as I have preferred Icon,Yaesu,Kenwood,Motorola,TenTech and Codan for my needs and I fell I have slighted some for not including mention of the DXSR8 and DXSR9 from Alinco as at $500 for the SR8 and $650 or so for the SDR (computer controlled) DXSR9...they are the bargain for radios made for Ham radio who's names we can pronounce and are capable of HF operation without power compromise and at a budget.

http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=350&products_id=67773&osCsid=pm2snt8btv40dvgpvtam61qh24

http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=350&products_id=71355

Coverage of All short-wave and HF amateur bands
Covers the 160m to 10m amateur bands including 5.3MHz (T-model only) in SSB, CW, AM and FM modes. Output power is 100W SSB/CW and FM, 40W in AM with low and super-low power settings for QRP operation. In addition, the general coverage
receiver covers 135kHz to 30MHz in all modes.

Detachable front control panel
Completely detachable front control panel with large LCD display lets you install the radio with greater flexibility whether in your car, boat or your shack. (Optional EDS-17 cable required)

Direct DATA entry via the key pads
While the main dial tunes at the default 10Hz/resolution (adjustable in set mode), the numerical key pads can be used for fast direct frequency input, band selection and more.

Fight QRM with these STANDARD features
Reject unwanted signals with the IF shift. Choose a narrow filter, a noise-blanker or use RIT/TXIT to stay out of QRM.
Emphasis on CW Operation

An electronic keyer unit is standard. You can receive CW using either upper or lower side of the carrier frequency. Choice of side tone pitch, FULL (QSK),
Semi or Auto break-in, split, narrow filter, AGC and RF gain.
World-class transmit audio quality

A dynamic microphone (T/E models) and a speech compressor come standard for sharp, clear and powerful transmitting audio.
Enhanced scan modes

A variety of scan modes are available including Priority, Search, Busy, Timed, Memory and Programmed search. Timed scan setting does not require squelch-mute so you are able to monitor data-modes and broadcasts simultaneously with memory
search scan.

Additional convenient features include
RF Attenuator and Pre-amplifier selectable in 4 steps, / 3 TX power output levels with a Super-Low setting (QRP 0.1W - 2W variable) / Dual VFO / 600ch memories in 3 banks / Connections for Auto-antenna tuner and Liner amplifier ALC output /
Fully independent AF level, squelch, RIT and IF shift knobs / Dial lock and key lock / TX-RX lamp / Alphanumeric display / Auto-power-off / CTCSS encode for 10m FM repeater accesses / Microphone, Headphone and External speaker jacks on the
front panel / Large, temperature-controlled internal cooling fan with anti-overheat output power limiter/ High-SWR protection and more!

Specifications
Genaral DX-SR8 ALL MODELS
Operating mode J3E (USB, LSB), A3E (AM), A1A (CW), F3E (FM)

Antenna impedance 50ohm unbalanced

Frequency stability +/-1ppm
Power requirement 13.8V DC +/-15% (11.7 to 15.8V DC)

Ground method Negative ground

Current drain Receiver: 1.0A(max.) 0.7A(Squelched) Transmit: 20A

Operating temperature -10digC to 60digC (+14digF to +140digF)

Dimentions 240(w) x 94(h) x 255(d)mm (Projections not included)
(9.45"(w) x 3.7"(h) x 10"(d)
240(w) x 100(h) x 293(d)mm
(9.45"(w) x 3.94"(h) x 11.54"(d)

Weight Approx. 4.1kg (144.6oz)

Dimensions (w/o projection) 142(W) x 40(H) x 174(D) mm
5.59"(W) x 1.57"(H) x 6.85"(D)

Weight Approx. 1.0Kg (35.3oz)

Transmitter
Power Output SSB, CW, FM: 100W(Hi) Approx. 10W (Low) Approx. 1W (S-Low)
AM: 40W(Hi) Approx. 4W (Low) Approx. 0.4W (S-Low)

Offline Lamewolf

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: The 100 watt ,all band, all mode,$500 HF budget radio..Alinco DXSR8
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 09:46:44 AM »
Cost a little more but I love my Yaesu FT-450AT !  Actually, I got a deal on it since I purchased it used with a very minor problem that I was able to fix myself

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 10:00:12 AM »
Cost a little more but I love my Yaesu FT-450AT !  Actually, I got a deal on it since I purchased it used with a very minor problem that I was able to fix myself

For an "entry level" rig, the 450 has above average receive quality.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 11:14:36 AM »
  I miss my ft450... :'(

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 12:26:01 PM »

I've seen the IC-7300 below $1300 shipped at a few places.

Also the IC-7100 is around $800 now.  That's a decent all-band/all-mode combo.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 01:19:41 PM »

I just noticed the ft-450d out there.  Just wondering if you have any insight to its performance.
It is not cheap (as in 500 or less), but might make one heck of a good base station.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 01:32:46 PM »
I just noticed the ft-450d out there.  Just wondering if you have any insight to its performance.
It is not cheap (as in 500 or less), but might make one heck of a good base station.

If you are constrained by a budget, start with something used.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 01:46:51 PM »

At $769 , I like it better than  my FT857 and FT 897 yaesu radios. It has DSP in the IF and receiver performance is well above average and the antenna tuner (built in) is pretty good. See the links below.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=60371.0

http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=68271

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 09:33:53 AM »
If you are constrained by a budget, start with something used.

Not so much as budget; but is the extra money worth the added features.

For a primary home setup (radio only) I think I can live with $999 or less.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 09:43:57 AM »
  Many HF Ham radios are indeed worth more $.,but ,without knowing what extras you need ,a basic is an excellent start and a used GOOD radio is fine ,if you know what you are looking for or trust the seller. I do not like ALINCO...I don't know just why...but this 100 watt radio is a far better start than the 2 1/2 watts you get from the much more costly FT817 that so many choose as an excellent emergency radio and quickly find out their signal gets lost in the static so much of the time as to not be reliable in emergency.

My under $1000 choice right now is the ICOM IC7100 as it has outstanding receive ,DSP,and 100 HF watts with 40 or so VHF watts.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 10:48:13 AM »
Carl makes a good point about knowing what you want.

Imagine buying a new car.  Even if you had a $40K budget, no model will really be the best at everything.
You need to decide between passenger space, luxury/comfort, gas mileage, off-road ability, etc.

Which is better: an F-350 super duty or a Honda Accord?  ;)

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 08:10:55 PM »
Carl makes a good point about knowing what you want.

Imagine buying a new car.  Even if you had a $40K budget, no model will really be the best at everything.
You need to decide between passenger space, luxury/comfort, gas mileage, off-road ability, etc.

Which is better: an F-350 super duty or a Honda Accord?  ;)

My answer is my Frontier tuck, the F-350 is too big and the Honda accord is too small.   8)

Sometimes by adding a bit more to the overall price you might get better quality LNA, or ability to filter out static.  All good features and if it only sets me back a small amount of money. 

So what will I do with it?  Don't know, I hope a bit more than the Baofeng radios I have.  How is this for an answer; looking for a good basic radio, maybe a step up from the normal starter setup that I can learn what I want to do with a radio.  If I can spend a few dollars more and get a bit better results..."receiver performance is well above average and antenna tuner is good."   Two good features for a person who's high end radio and support gear is made by Baofeng.

You asked or indicated if I was price sensitive, while I am - I am not scraping the bottom of the price curve.  Shopping at Sears taught me two basic things when looking at tools...you are rarely happy buying the lowest price saw, and you, and often the highest price saw only has a few minor features that set it above the next model down.

There are times to go bottom of the barrel for Baofeng (harbor freight) for stuff you know is going to get kicked around, or just need an emergency tool kit that will work at least once.  Oh, might be too cheap to last?  Buy 2 or 3 and that should get things covered.

Don't think I will get into the EME or is that Moon bounce stuff using psk.

Tech license (check)
General license (check)
Extra license (check)

Highest quality radio I have ever used, ahhh Baofeng  ;D

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 04:51:12 AM »
Many things I have done were done with equipment that was thought to be sub-par by many and I don't let that stop me from attempting things that many say are not possible. Do some things that you believe to be beyond your capability and you will grow with the hobby. Ham's are often the innovators of new equipment and techniques . The radios mentioned above were introduced years ago and now have most of the bugs worked out and also the retail price is severely discounted ...this is why I suggest them at under $1000 because there are indeed $20,000 dollar radios that can do much in skilled hands ,though I recognize that I would see little advantage in owning one as I am closer to the middle of user ability. I can,and have,made effective use of minimalist gear  that I would not buy....Remember this is likely your FIRST radio...but not your last radio.

Happy Independence Day

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 10:17:27 AM »
Perhaps ironically, if my station was setup in a low noise environment, with a great (big?) antenna I could be satisfied with a less sophisticated HF transceiver.

It's the compromise antennas, high RFI from urban residents that make receiving DSP and filters more important.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 03:27:20 PM »
Well, I almost bought a IC7100...Why? I like the All-Band, All-Mode (plus I don't own a HF rig that will do 6m).

Now I'm looking (not seriously) at the FT-891 as a shack add-on for the future.

The 991A or whatever upgraded version seems to be a winner (now) too!

My current HF rigs suit me well enough even though 1990's vintage: TS-850SAT and TS-50.  and the loaner KX2  ::)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 03:53:58 PM »
Well, I almost bought a IC7100...Why? I like the All-Band, All-Mode (plus I don't own a HF rig that will do 6m).

Now I'm looking (not seriously) at the FT-891 as a shack add-on for the future.

The 991A or whatever upgraded version seems to be a winner (now) too!

My current HF rigs suit me well enough even though 1990's vintage: TS-850SAT and TS-50.  and the loaner KX2  ::)

The IC7100 has the improvement from many years of Hams testing and having problems as the market is too small to invest in manufacturing testing so I never buy,though do 'lust after' new gear and hold off for consumer testing to do it's work and time to bring down the retail price.

I have owned a TS50 and liked it,I have owned 3 IC 706,MK2 and Mk3 and liked then ,though the FM VHF and UHF do develop problems with frequency stability and I have kenwood TS 480 SAT and Yaesu ft 897 and syill have a nice ft 857  that I loved till I got hands on with the IC 7100 and both 7100 and 857 are cute,easy to use menus etc...I love the advanced Digital Signal Processing and receiver and digital recording and backup of your personal settings should someone disturb your settings etc. The IC 7100 has receiver and technological REFINEMENT that the high dollar it was introduced at and now the under $1000  price now cause even my larger radios to sit silent and evenn other radios to sit in storage ...for now the new low priced introduction radios seem to lack something due to low intro price and I may be wrong but a new to me 15 year old IC7100 just hits the sweet spot of innovation (I LOVE the touch screen) ,low current price ,and the refined sound from the menu customisable radio.The ELECRAFT rigs do offer high end specs and technology and have eluded my grasp for now...but some day....I search for the FITS LIKE A GLOVE radio and The IC 7100 holds my attention while I watch for the sub $700 little Yaesu to pass thru the gorilla testing phase..  just my old mans two cents.