Author Topic: how long can a truck last ?  (Read 1439 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
how long can a truck last ?
« on: August 23, 2017, 05:31:52 AM »
 My Tundra has nearly 170k miles on it. It's not in the best of shape, but not bad. Toyota had a recall several years ago and they rebuilt the entire frame which took them what seemed like a month or more, I forget. They loaned me a Prius while they where doing that.

I am not the only one who has noticed truck prices have gone really high. Would it ever make sense that at around 300k miles or whatever that you would hire a mechanic to rebuild the engine or put in a new one and do whatever other type work given that truck prices are so high and probably keep going up ?

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: how long can a truck last ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 06:02:29 AM »
Take good care of it and you won't have to have that engine rebuilt at 300k.  My understanding is the transmission is the weak link in the older Tundras.

That said, I think it is feasible to do that now.  Replacing the engine and transmission is far less expensive than a new truck.  Most people in my area wouldn't think of doing this, but it is because in the Baltimore/Washington corridor many feel they have to have everything new that comes out.

I think it really depends on what you do with the truck, how it is driven, how the rest of the components are.  Is the electrical system sound?  That sort of thing.
F_M
Links currently broken. Will fix them shortly
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 06:03:55 AM »
With reasonable maintenance you should get 300K with no major problems. I wouldn't worry about an overhaul unless there were obvious symptoms such as knocking. A periodic compression check would be useful also. Compare prices of an overhaul and a long block replacement when the engine needs major work or even a new factory engine if available.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline DDJ

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 10:26:30 AM »
Here in N.E. Ohio it is all about the body and frame.  If the truck was undercoated then it is going to be body to the point of so ugly that you can not stand it or the holes become strategically placed and it get unsafe.  As indicated above it is all about service.  I just purchased a truck 1998 with 260K miles.  I had to spend on getting the front end rebuilt as soon as I got it home but was expecting it.  Ball joints, breaks, bearings,  tie rods and U joints all are service parts and they go, but the older stuff gets the more often they go out.

I got what I was looking for, I hope< something that will last 1.5 years and teach my son that he wants to get a good job and buy his own car as soon as he can.  Mom and Dad will get you something but it will not be nice.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 10:53:52 AM »
Here in N.E. Ohio it is all about the body and frame.  If the truck was undercoated then it is going to be body to the point of so ugly that you can not stand it or the holes become strategically placed and it get unsafe.  As indicated above it is all about service.  I just purchased a truck 1998 with 260K miles.  I had to spend on getting the front end rebuilt as soon as I got it home but was expecting it.  Ball joints, breaks, bearings,  tie rods and U joints all are service parts and they go, but the older stuff gets the more often they go out.

I got what I was looking for, I hope< something that will last 1.5 years and teach my son that he wants to get a good job and buy his own car as soon as he can.  Mom and Dad will get you something but it will not be nice.

West coast vehicles rule.  Less humidity, no salt on the roads - make a big difference in long term longevity.  But I agree that many drivetrains that are mechanically sound to 250K-300K miles have bodies and interiors that are less than presentable.  Unless you REALLY don't care how your vehicle looks, smells or sounds (squeaks and creaks will happen as interior pieces loosen), the super high mileage vehicles aren't always pleasant.

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 08:43:52 PM »
My F250 4x4 is a 1996 227,000 miles. Original 7.3 diesel. Its starting to rust out at the corners now. I live on the Gulf coast.
My F350 4x$ is a 2006  87,000 Miles. With the EGR upgrade folks have pushed them over 275,000. I'm getting ready for the EGR redo now. its an expensive proposition.... A new truck with equivalent features and abilities $65K+. Not going there. i'm keeping mine and trying to find  a cemetery that will let me be buried in it :) I went and priced a Purtiy new truck with everything 80K+.
Keeping mine.

regards,
Shadowalker
Want proof that the worst Disasters all begin with man: Godzilla = 28, Tokyo = 0

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 08:54:37 PM »
Not sure how old your truck is. I had a 94 Ranger given to me after my grandfather's passing. It was a great truck with less that 90k on it when I got it. That being said the parts were 20 years old so all of the rubber and seals were failing. I ended up selling it when we got a third vehicle because the time/cost/effort to correct all of the worn parts weren't worth it to me. Mileage is one thing to consider, age on rubber/plastic parts is another.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 09:00:24 PM »
Not sure how old your truck is. I had a 94 Ranger given to me after my grandfather's passing. It was a great truck with less that 90k on it when I got it. That being said the parts were 20 years old so all of the rubber and seals were failing. I ended up selling it when we got a third vehicle because the time/cost/effort to correct all of the worn parts weren't worth it to me. Mileage is one thing to consider, age on rubber/plastic parts is another.

sounds like a dry, hot climate ;)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 08:42:58 AM »
 If the body rots and the floor gets holes in it, can't that stuff be fixed too ? I see cars from the 1950's on the road so I have to wonder that anything seems possible ?

At some point new truck prices may get ridiculous or maybe they will decide to stop making trucks because it is bad for the earth ?  Even some of the newer trucks I wonder, how good quality are they ? A guy in Maine I know seemed upset his truck frame was deteriorating

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 09:17:37 AM »
If the body rots and the floor gets holes in it, can't that stuff be fixed too ? I see cars from the 1950's on the road so I have to wonder that anything seems possible ?

At some point new truck prices may get ridiculous or maybe they will decide to stop making trucks because it is bad for the earth ?  Even some of the newer trucks I wonder, how good quality are they ? A guy in Maine I know seemed upset his truck frame was deteriorating

We all make personal consumer choices.  You can pay a little more for healthier food, quality craftsmanship, etc.

With age and experience, one of the smartest things I've learned about buying stuff, is knowing what kind of owner I am for various items.

Will I properly maintain this thing as required?
Will I abuse it?  Use it daily?  Depend on it?  Is it just for fun?

When I'm dry camping in the woods with no grid power, I prefer to bring a GOOD flashlight that cost more than $5.  If I have no light in the situation, it could be potentially dangerous.
But for daily stuff around the house, I have cheapo LEDs in every drawer.

I think vehicles are this way too.  I'm convinced that brands like Toyota and Honda have an additional level of quality beyond most others.  I realize there are very nice cars made by many manufacturers, but if you take a look at 10-15 year old cars that have 200K+ miles, and ask the owners about repair problems, there will be trends.

Also keep in mind, doing your part matters a lot.  If you live in a corrosive environment, regular fluid changes (not just oil) like power steering, coolant, brake lines, etc. all will prolong those systems.  You can complain that's expensive, but so is replacing a truck every 8 years.  While I grumble when I pay for these services, it's still a better feeling that replacing a power steering pump, leaky radiator, or other "sudden"  failure.

Unfortunately for folks with low budgets, they have few options but to frequently buy cheap and replace with cheap. Maybe we can call that the "Wal-Mart" cycle.  Replace your DVD player every 3 years for $29.99, because they don't sell $100 models that last for 20 years.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 12:29:33 PM »
Everything can be fixed or done with enough time or money. Smurf is correct in stating you have to find the balance. Sure there are cars from the 50's on the road, but not many, and usually the ones you see are in great shape because the owners restore them. I believe for many in that situation it's their hobby and they'll admit it's not financially viable for a daily driver, but it's where they choose to spend their disposable income.

With age also comes the inability to find parts. I bought an 1986 Honda VFR (motorcycle) several years ago to restore it. In the end the engine was shot and the cost to repair/replace didn't make sense. Other parts were also going to be hard to come by and only available on secondary markets.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 07:46:42 PM »

Can it be fixed? Yes. The only guy I trust to work on our vehicles has rebuilt/restored a number of older vehicles. He has a '57 chevy in his shop right now that had no floor at all in it not long ago. He has bought and welded in a number of replacement panels. It's not cheap. It's not easy. I seriously doubt anyone would ever consider it worthwhile for today's disposable quality vehicles. I suspect that electronics failure alone will remove most of them from any degree of serviceability.

New truck prices are already ridiculous. I've seen livable houses sell for less than some of them.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 06:24:42 PM »
My 97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 has 365k and all I've had to do is general maintenence items. Still runs like a top.

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 10:03:19 AM »
Every part on a vehicle can be replaced. Cars/trucks don't wear out, the individual parts do and the body and frame can succumb to rust. I have repaired everything from bodies, engines and frame. There is nothing on a vehicle a mechanic or a competent redneck cannot fix. Even parts that are no longer made can be retrofitted or fabricated.

I have never purchased a new vehicle. The newest vehicle I have ever owned was ten years old. Most vehicles I drive are 30 years old or older. I have saved a fortune, I make or save money on almost every vehicle I have owned. I pick vehicles that are easy to work on with readily and cheaply available parts. When most people spend thousands on a car, I buy 2 or more cars/trucks for a thousand dollars. I have taken trucks out of hedge rows and used them as daily drivers in a week and driven them for years.

My vehicles only appreciate, they are easy to work on, have cheap parts and I pay a lot less on taxes. Because I work on my own vehicles I even spend a lot less on maintenance. Even if I paid for a mechanic their fees would be cheaper on an old car than a new one because they are easier to work on. When I say old car I am talking about pre 90's vehicles. Antiques

Society and salesman convince people they need new or newer vehicles. Spend your time and money learning hard skills. You will be a better person for it. On average a new vehicle is more dependable, but I cannot remember a time I wasn't able to make it to work because I drove an old vehicle, probably because I can tell something is going wrong and fix it before it becomes a bigger problem. Plus I have many different vehicles because they were purchased for less than one newer vehicle. Insurance is even cheaper on older vehicles. I know I would rather work on a 60-79 anything than a new vehicle, much easier.
www.JLMissouri.com      Lewis Family Farm

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 05:08:18 AM »
I think it should las t a long time, easily 300K and probably more, IF you take care of it.  I mean both maintenance and how you drive. Some guys like to hot rod around and then complain their stock transmission is weak because it blew out at 100K.  I change fluids and filters at 3,000 miles.  We also go through an automated car wash every week or two.  If we lived around road salt I would be using a pressure washer every day underneath!  We lived in Iowa decades ago and few cars more than 2 years old had intact fenders.

I only take it to a trusted mechanic and sometimes that is the dealer, much more expensive but if they are the best in town that is where I go.  We have a 2003 Accord with 110,000 that runs like new.  And A 2004 Dodge 2500 diesel with 211,000 miles.  I found that the main reason the ball joints seem to go out on this model is that guys often put oversize tires on it and screws up the geometry. And they like to chip the engine for performance and wonder why the cheap ass transmission breaks.  I have to have a damn good, specific reason before I will alter functional parts of my vehicles. Otherwise I keep it stock like the engineer design it.

Most of my "lessons learned" about cars dying too soon revolve around not investing in preventative maintenance, and letting some yahoo work on it that was incompetent.  Find or become a good mechanic and don't let anyone else mess with it and it will last a very long time.

I once had a '95 Aerostar that was not known for its great design for longevity.  In fact I was faced with a multiple systems breaking down situation at around 110,000 miles.  I bought it used 2 years old and 22,000 miles for $17K. So I had paid at that time $17K for 88K miles.  I paid the dealer $5,000+ to do all the repairs (they had a great, honest lead mechanic) and the sales people laughed themselves silly I would spend that much on a broken down Aerostar (this was like 7 years after I bought it).  But I then got another 120K miles out of it for that $5K repair.  It only died when someone else ran a stop light and got t-boned, which totaled the poor thing (bent frame, doors, posts, floor...).  But the engine and driveline were still champs! 
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline twk

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 09:08:30 AM »
I wouldn’t worry about the miles.  Especially on a Toyota.  Rust, sensors, electronics, and upholstery will generally do a vehicle in before the engine dies.  (With some exceptions, and often tied to not replacing timing belts on belted engines.)

My 97 Suburban has 315k miles and is a joy to drive.  My 92 F350 has 322k + (speedometer hasn’t worked in a while) and is my work horse frequently pulling trailers.  The F350 is getting rusty, and I’m keeping my eye out for another one I can strip down, clean up,  and swap my drive train into.  2x4s are common, 4x4s like mine are not.

Just sold my 05 Camry with 250k miles as my wife got a newer van.  2014 Caravan with 122k.  She got the new one because the 05 Kia van is failing fast in all the nice things like sticking sliding doors and such.  However, the engine is still good and I drive it to work most days.

I’d just keep driving it until a problem comes up or it’s losing power rather than a preventative rebuild.  Especially if you have a backup vehicle.  It’s cheaper for us to run 3 or 4 vehicles than make payments on two newer ones. 
"Loyalty to the country always.  Loyalty to the government when it deserves it."  Mark Twain

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 11:40:42 PM »
My Toyota Tacoma 2000, almost 300K on it, and still going strong.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 05:02:52 AM »
I once read an article about a 1983 Dodge ram with a confirmed 1,000,000 miles on it, and supposedly has never leaked oil. But it did have extreme preventative maintenance performed at much shorter than recommended intervals from the time it was new. If I recall correctly it was like oil and filter every 3,000 miles. All other fluids, filters, and greasable points every 10,000 miles, and every gasket, seal, belt, and hose that is left every 50,000.

With that much extra maintenance, you hit a point of negative returns where you've spent more on truck one and maintenance than you would on truck #1, regular maintenance, and truck #2.

I had a 86 Nissan Sentra that had 325,000 when I stopped fixing things on it and scraped it. It could have been put back on the road with a rebuild, and actually I probably could have gotten away with just new piston rings, but the rest of the car wasn't worth it.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 06:12:31 AM »
My Toyota Tacoma 2000, almost 300K on it, and still going strong.

Cedar

Ahh, the days when Toyota made a really good truck.

Right now the hard part I have keeping GMC Truck running is finding parts for it that don't cost 2x more than what the truck is worth.  I  just had the transmission rebuilt, and motor is going quite strong.   I have a bit over 200k on it, and for now I am willing to have things fixed until I can find a newer truck  for 10k.

Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 12:15:52 PM »
  If properly maintained and maintenance are adhered to like timing chain or belts ,hoses,fluids changed and filters on factory or reasonable schedule ...
most autos and drive trains will be more heirloom vehicles and not disposable even though paint and plastics will suffer from sun and time ,they are not so hard to replace and last much longer if protective wax and treatments are used.Most vehicles will last until the atoms they are made of separate.

Problem is though ,few are fanatic enough to prevent and protect their vehicles to that level and perform preventative maintenance as the manufacturer suggests ...so most people do well to get their auto paid for before trading it in on another...they just don't want to pay to maintain what they can just pay more to replace.

At 170 K you should have replaced the timing belts TWICE ,,oil and filters 40 times or more,new hoses  5 times, brake fluid 4 or more times,transmission fluid 4 times,coolant flush and replace each year,new spark plugs every 60K or so...and ignition wires....Autos are needy ,if you want them to last.Also anything that wears out or falls off should be attended to. :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:23:01 PM by Carl »
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.