Author Topic: Merged Topics: Plant & Seed Resources: Catalogs & Suppliers  (Read 89899 times)

Offline justin451

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Merged Topics: Plant & Seed Resources: Catalogs & Suppliers
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2016, 11:59:20 AM »
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2209630714&topic=5481

I found this on the web:
* Johnny's Seeds

I was surprised Johnny's was on that list. I am going to try to find a new supplier. Thanks!

Offline redrider

• Prepper
  • Purveyor of Post Drills
« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2017, 12:41:25 PM »
Any new suppliers to try this year?

I know Bountiful Gardens is out of the seed business, any other news before I make my picks?

Thanks,

rr

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2017, 01:57:03 PM »
Last couple years I’ve been using anniesheirloomseeds.com . They and I are both in Michigan which is why I like them.  Their selection is more than adequate for my needs.

Offline __33w__

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Suburban MI
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2019, 11:27:44 AM »
@CharlesH - I ordered from Annie's as well this year.  I'm in Michigan as well and the seeds are doing quite well.  Bought a couple things from High Mowing and local places too (couldn't help myself).  Just wanted to add a +1 for Annie's.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2019, 02:38:48 PM »
Great!  I still like them, too.  This year’s garden has been a bit smaller than my norm.  I only focused on stuff that either just tastes better when grown by me, or was too hard to find at local farmers markets in the quantities I need.  I have tons of San Marzano tomatoes for saucing, lots of basil for pesto, and okra because it’s not as common in our area.  I also did cayenne, watermelon, edamame, and pumpkin.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2019, 05:34:33 PM »
  I have tons of San Marzano tomatoes for saucing, lots of basil for pesto, and okra because it’s not as common in our area. 

Tell me about those. I haven't heard of them.
I usually plant 4-5 varieties, and have determined to settle down to 2 main ones, Early Girl and Abe Lincoln.
I also want to try a revived seed that has came back, a Missouri seed named Ivan.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2019, 07:09:13 PM »
Tell me about those. I haven't heard of them.

Technically I guess I should say that I’m growing seeds of San Marzano tomatoes.  The tomatoes are like Scotch, if they don’t come from San Marzano Italy they technically aren’t San Marzano tomatoes.  That said, you can find the seeds easily enough.

They are a plum tomato and each plant tends to thrown off tons of fruit for me.  As raw tomatoes they are nothing special.  Kind of bland in fact.  But the skins come off easily, they don’t have a ton of seeds, and I think they make a great sauce (A tad sweeter than others).  I’ve heard they are less acidic but the sauce has always canned up well for me without added lemon or vinegar.  That said, I haven’t looked into the acidity for water canning issue, so maybe I should check Ball to make sure I’m being safe.

I like them for the prolific amount of fruit they produce and the sweet sauce.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2019, 10:22:51 PM »
Ok thanks. I may look into those. Determinate?

Some of my secondary I planted this year as a backup was Amish Paste. So far, I'm not impressed with them. Indeterminate, has some crazy long vines, poor flowering for the amount of vine. And the aphids and horn worms love them, more than the other varieties. But they are just at the *just a few* picking stage, so it may change.

I planted 8 Mortgage Lifters as a trial also. Huge heirloom tomatoes. But as usual, always has that dark, hard streak on the bottom side like some heirlooms do. Hard to get a full tomato after it's sliced/cut up.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2019, 04:55:32 AM »
Indeterminate, but they do not vine out all over the place like an Amish Paste.  I use cheap tomato cages and the plants rarely challenge them.  And while I do consider them indeterminate, they do have a big flush of fruit at one time and much less fruit before and after.  But I do generally keep them in the freezer until I have all I need for the next year’s sauce.  Then thaw them (I’m not a fanatic about getting skins off, but freeze and thaw does make that easier), pulp them, and cook them down about 50%.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2019, 10:22:54 AM »
 8)

Thanks

Steve