Author Topic: PreCooked Scrambled Eggs with Ham and Peppers ,Mountain House pouch  (Read 471 times)

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
  Tested in the BOL kitchen,right next to the first aide kit.

So how good can soggy eggs be? I have eaten most of my foods from #10 cans and thought I might try this as it was in the pile for rotation as it was over 6 years stored for a BOL member who just orders more when I list his timed rotation of stock. I thought ,what the heck (I actually though HECK) and decided to try the pouch. I used a hot pot to bring a couple cups of water to a boil (only about 2 minutes,fast!) and ,following directions, I poured a cup of the boiling water into the opened pouch and used the zip lock to singe my finger tips and reseal the mix to brew for 10 minutes.

I picked up the (HOT!) foil pouch again,as if I hadn't learned and thought to 'turn' it a little to allow the contents to mix better...while I manipulated the hot pouch,the zip lock failed and BOILING water dribbles onto my leg/lap and added an adventurous ,earthy smell to the steamed air in the room. Note ,foil pouch is ONLY to be used at last resort. The Scrambled Eggs with Ham and peppers smelled pretty good,maybe better than the mix I was used to eating from the #10 cans...but I was not sure it wasn't the cooking smells coming from my right leg added to the mix.

Note ,after having been burned before,(too many times) I knew to dump some cool water over the effected area quickly to stop the cooking of my flesh and ease the damage to prevent loss of skin...my dog found the whole event amusing and intriguing as the cooking smells ment that leftovers were likely to be available.

Following the pouch directions,I carefully dumped the rest of the excess water in a sink as my leg had had enough already, though if I had thought,it would have made good addition to dogs dry dog food that is ignored till the direst of circumstances. The eggs smelled good and looked OK,I carefully blew on a sample as my leg still tingled from the boiling spill. It tasted pretty good as the removal of the excess water removed a good bit of the salt that I expected,though it was not as salty as say ramen noodles or chicken bouillon. It was more than a meal,it was an adventure and the ham/bacon remnants with the red and green peppers actually tasted pretty good without even adding my Louisiana hot sauce that is a habit on most breakfast foods.

I usually add a measure of cool water to the mix I get in the #10 cans and after 10 Minutes of softening,throw the wet mix on a hot griddle for a bit of scorch and the taste in very near that of freshly cooked 'real' eggs.The pouch will work in a time of need and I have a lot of the stuff from the rotation now so I might get better at pouch handling with some practice...Dog gives it a full muzzle lick too as she always shares with me.

Here is a link to the package that I ate though I am not sure where it was actually purchased from,I know where the out of date cases are going though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0GUMUC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Online Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: PreCooked Scrambled Eggs with Ham and Peppers ,Mountain House pouch
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 12:41:42 PM »
Thanks for the review/how-to (how-not-to? :)).  I've been trying some of these out for quick camping food, and they're way better than I was expecting.

Side note for people who just want to try a pouch or two before buying in bulk, lots of big-box stores – even Wal-Mart – keep the individual packs at reasonable prices.  If you want to try some out before buying a case online, this is a good way to get a sample before committing.

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 12:45:04 PM »
I have tried a lot of the mountain house stuff and everything has been pretty good.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 11:39:31 AM »
Prices fluctuate and vary by flavor, but I've added a few MH #10 cans to my amazon subscribe and save.  So I can a couple cans each quarter delivered at a good price.  I don't want to go crazy with pallets of LTS, but this is a way to add depth to my stock gradually over time.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 12:26:00 PM »
  I have ,in many cases,found that the contents of Augason Farms cans often provide the same product,except for spices,at a lower cost per serving. Check the contents weight and compare.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 12:39:16 PM »
  I have ,in many cases,found that the contents of Augason Farms cans often provide the same product,except for spices,at a lower cost per serving. Check the contents weight and compare.

I just added a can of Augason egg powder.  It is considerably less than MH.  I can add salt/pepper/paprika/etc to taste.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 04:24:23 PM »
I just added a can of Augason egg powder.  It is considerably less than MH.  I can add salt/pepper/paprika/etc to taste.

Good idea.

Online Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 05:20:20 PM »
Good review.  8) Hopefully the spilled water containing spices will dry quickly and the dog won't eat your leg off.  :o
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016