Author Topic: Learned to Solder  (Read 1027 times)

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
Learned to Solder
« on: September 12, 2017, 05:26:52 PM »
Joined up with a maker space near me and they had a soldering 101 class. 3 hours of soldering and came out with an LED clock. Good to sit down and have someone over your shoulder giving advise. They've got a nice wood shop and metal shop also. Nice place to hang out after work. Definitely something I should have learned years ago.

IMG_20170912_184502655_1" border="0

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Learned to Solder
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 05:33:03 PM »
My wife is an electrical engineer. She does the soldering. You don't want to see my work. Definitely a great skill to learn.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 05:47:29 PM »
  Looks like great work. Confidence will come in time as soldering is a handy skill for all kinds of small metal (jewelry) and electrical repair. Your project shows great care as the components are lined up uniform and neat...great work!  Hot smokin' KARMA too!

Offline alexlindsay

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 09:41:03 PM »
A business idea for your soldering skill. Rebuilding GM instrument clusters. Depending on the year the stepper motors crap out and need to be replaced but most places will only replace the whole cluster. Also the same clusters have issues with surface mounted resistors and their solder cracking causeing display failures and total shutdown. Learn to fix those and you can probably earn several hundred per month. Also 6.0 ford powerstroke ficms, and case of surface mounted resistor solder failures. I'm no soldering master and i fix both of those for guys locally. Put an ad up on kijiji or craigslist or whatever or tell your local garages. A lot of mechanics don't solder and a lot of things like that are easy fixes.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 06:36:51 AM »
Very nice, CF.