Author Topic: Talking Whisk(e)y  (Read 2515 times)

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
Talking Whisk(e)y
« on: September 13, 2017, 05:21:58 PM »
Yes, I am a whiskey guy. I love bourbon and Scotch. Can't stand Irish and Canadian but don't let that deter you. Feel free to share your whiskey of choice. As I write this intro I have a dram of the only blended Scotch I will drink in front of me. Johnny Walker Black. It's one thing Winston Churchill and Christopher Hitchens got right. Vanilla and Peat with a velvet mouthfeel. Truly a great.

Not that it's my favorite Scotch. That honor belongs to Bowmore 15 year. Peat is the hallmark of Islay and only Bowmore has Islay peat casked in sherry barrels. Bruichladdich's many great varieties are a close second.

Not that I hold America lower. Taste an Elija Craig 12 year and you can tell me anything. I taste blueberry pie in it. And I'll never turn down a Wild Turkey with its honey/kiwi flavor. And of course I have some fondness for the burnt maple syrup that only Jack Daniels could offer. It remains a staple with my parents. And I love the minty oilyness of Jim Beam Black.

So what say you, imbibers? Any favorites worth hunting out? I'd love to expand my palate.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
Re: Talking Whisk(e)y
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 07:49:21 PM »
I'm by no means an expert, but my current top shelf choice is Glenlivet Archive 21. Rich and smooth. I try to get a bottle once in a while to celebrate special occasions with, but at $200+ it's not doable often. My last bottle was a gift from a whole team at my last job when I left. I miss those guys...

Others that I really enjoy, in no particular order, are:
Tullamore Dew (probably more due to good memories, but hey.)
Glenmorangie 18
Green Spot (really a surprise here: affordable and excellent.)
Johnny Walker Blue (another pricey one, but it's good stuff. Worth trying a bar for the experience but I'm not sure I'd spend the money on a bottle anymore.)
Eagle Rare (Yeah, it's a bourbon... So?  ;D )

I'm not a fan of smoke in my drinks, so I prefer little to no peat. I just never developed the taste for it... at least not yet. I do try them when I get a chance.

Recently I've been on a gin kick, though. Not sure if I should throw those in here or start a new thread for that.
Zombie Squad - We make dead things deader.

"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 08:11:34 PM »
I've had the Glenmorangie 18. Impressive stuff. Legend has that they hired a French perfume expert to describe the aroma.

Johnny Blue... Been there, still prefer the black. It really is a preference for peat and smoke, isn't it. The Blue is so light and clean with very low phenols it (to me) is almost apricot with other fruit on the palate.

Thanks for the Green Spot call. I'll look that one up.

Eagle Rare... Yup, it is good. It's like textured caramel on the tongue.

Rock on with gin. I love it too.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 02:01:02 AM »
My kids like Maker's Mark

Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 09:41:41 AM »
Tullamore Dew (probably more due to good memories, but hey.)
Ugh, this stuff can really sneak up on you.  I got a bottle about a year ago and it was so smooth, that I woke up out on the couch.  I don't remember a lot.

Johnny Walker Blue (another pricey one, but it's good stuff. Worth trying a bar for the experience but I'm not sure I'd spend the money on a bottle anymore.)

Hopefully this picture comes through.

My father in law had this in his office.  We just cleaned the office out and my mother in law told me to take it.

That would be $3000 retail price.  There were a bunch of other stuff there as well.
F_M
Links currently broken. Will fix them shortly
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »
Blue Label and Royal Salute? Expensive taste. Chivas doesn't get the credit that bottle deserves. Interesting that the really old premium blends tend to drift to the light and perfumy rather than the heavy, dark, peaty single malts I tend to prefer. Maybe the heavy stuff just doesn't age well.

My father in law is like that too. Blue Label, Royal Salute, Glenmorangie 18, etc. When I bring him something like Ardbeg or Highland Park he can barely take a sip.

Offline LVWood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 10:31:19 AM »
I'm no connoisseur but I like the heavy, dark, single malts.
On the fortified wine front, a good tawny port works for me.
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 11:03:41 AM »
Blue Label and Royal Salute? Expensive taste.

All was FREE.

His good friend was a high roller in Atlantic City.  Brought him back a bottle every time he went.
F_M

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 11:23:12 AM »
I'm no connoisseur but I like the heavy, dark, single malts.
On the fortified wine front, a good tawny port works for me.

Long time ago I used to collect/trade vintage ports along with other wines. Noval was always my favorite. These days I'm too cheap to blow money like that but every now and again I'll pick up an LBV for a reasonable price.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 12:53:36 PM »
 ok, I was wrong, the one they all realy like is Bulleit Rye. They like
Makers' Mark, but usually now finds too sweet.

Blanton's Bourbon is also liked, but nothing as much as the Bulleit Rye.

Some around here realy like the Venus Gin #1, dont know if you can get it out of state
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:11:10 PM by mountainmoma »
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Online Mintbird

• Prepper
  • I'm working on it
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 01:28:33 PM »

Blanton's Bourbon is also liked, but nothing as much as the Bulleit Rye.

Some around here realy like the Venus Gin #1, dont know if you can get it out of state

I used to drink Makers Mark and Blanton's but my brother brought me some Bulleit Rye and I'll never go back.  :happydance:
Member Support Brigade

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 02:55:25 PM »
I am a Bushmills fan.  I tend to like the Irish to the Scotch.

I do like the Gin also, Martinis in particular. I really can't tell a difference between shaken and stirred and I do prefer it with vermouth.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 04:56:43 PM »
I like Makers.  It's a wheated whisky, so there's not a much bite as other bourbons have. 
F_M

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 05:14:15 PM »
I like Makers.  It's a wheated whisky, so there's not a much bite as other bourbons have.

I like Maker's and I actually don't prefer a wheat whiskey. But they did a marvelous job both on the grain bill and the aging.

I've not had Bulleit Rye. I'll keep that one in mind. I like Bulleit plenty so hearing that the rye is good comes as no surprise. Rye has had an amazing resurgence. I used to drink Jim Beam Rye with grapefruit juice (an unexpected but great combination).

A warning... Never, never buy Costco's Kirkland Bourbon. Horrible. Alcohol burn and bitter wood. Yuck.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 06:03:21 PM »
We're Stranahan's people in our house, though that's because we're lucky and they're local. They just got bought out this year by a bigger distillery, and while it's nice that this means they can expand beyond Colorado, we're a little nervous as to what that will do to the brand long-term. If you happen to find some you should give it a try.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 11:51:00 PM »
I like Maker's and I actually don't prefer a wheat whiskey. But they did a marvelous job both on the grain bill and the aging.

I've not had Bulleit Rye. I'll keep that one in mind. I like Bulleit plenty so hearing that the rye is good comes as no surprise. Rye has had an amazing resurgence. I used to drink Jim Beam Rye with grapefruit juice (an unexpected but great combination).

A warning... Never, never buy Costco's Kirkland Bourbon. Horrible. Alcohol burn and bitter wood. Yuck.

Another warning.  Avoid the Trade joe's bourbon.
The price is right and it tastes really good to the untrained palette, but something about it makes me sick as hell the next day.

I realize this is not scientific, but I have attempted this a few times with similar results. 

Offline atherts

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP and Guinness Supporter
    • Karott Productions
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 09:07:58 AM »
I tend to like Irish and Scottish product and not much bourbon. I find a lot of it too flowery and sweet.

For Irish I like Powers over Jameson. It has more depth and a nice peppery bite. Powers 12 is very nice.
I find Bushmills a bit tasteless. Teelings is a new one that I like as well. Redbreast is always good too.

For Scotch I tend towards the more peaty offerings with Laphroaig being a favorite. I always have 10 year around and the Cask Strength is nice as well.

I do like the Bulleit Rye and Buffalo Trace, but other bourbons meh.
--------------------------

Scott

"Chance favors the prepared mind."  Louis Pasteur
TSP Members Support Brigade

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 09:52:51 AM »
I have no idea why but no Irish whiskey has ever tasted good to me. Not to put it down, they are fine products but I just don't like them.

I was nervous someone would bring up Laphroig. I can't drink the stuff. It smells exactly like my grandfather's medicine cabinet. Repulses me. And I tend to like all the other Islay single malts.

I understand not liking the sweetness of bourbon. It repulses a lot of Europeans in particular.

Offline LVWood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 10:45:45 AM »
On drinking Jagermeister - Tastes like a shag carpet.
And Guinness tastes like liquid nicotine.

My favorite sipping spirit is Grand Marnier.
Need to be careful though, the vapors burn my eyes when I try to drink it.
1944:
2016:

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 12:43:44 PM »
On drinking Jagermeister - Tastes like a shag carpet.
And Guinness tastes like liquid nicotine.

My favorite sipping spirit is Grand Marnier.
Need to be careful though, the vapors burn my eyes when I try to drink it.
Jagermeister is FAR worse than shag carpet. 
Love Guinness
I've never thought to sip Grand Marnier.  I've only had it mixed into things and as a shot.  A pizza place near work has the walls lined with Grand Marnier bottles.  They are often giving out shots.  Tasty stuff.
F_M

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 03:08:32 PM »
I LOVE Jagermeister. It's not all that surprising because I tend to like most of the northern European spiced liquers. We have a hot tub and after cross country skiing some kind of aquavit while soaking just hits the spot.

The marketing story of Jagermeister is particularly a good story. They sold a drink that old men sip to warm after hunting in Europe as the top American college frat shot. Simply amazing.

I don't think I've ever tasted Grand Marnier. We put in other cocktails but it never occurred to me to drink it straight.

Offline LVWood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2017, 03:45:58 PM »
My wife and I would go to one of the last jazz venues in town before it was closed. We would have a nice dinner, dance and sip Grand Marnier.
1944:
2016:

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2017, 05:35:23 PM »
I LOVE Jagermeister.

BLECH  :zombie: (no gag emoji, so green zombie it is).

I'm not sure we can be friends anymore ;D

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2017, 05:55:22 PM »
BLECH  :zombie: (no gag emoji, so green zombie it is).

I'm not sure we can be friends anymore ;D

Es tut mir leid. (It hurts me so [but in a slangy I don't care] auf Deutsch.) If want the real German schnapps get a good Kirschwasser (cherry water). Delicious when added to fruit salads. And at 100 proof you won't remember the fruit salad.

But yes, I like the European liquers. Great in the winter. It remind me of the opening to one of my favorite comedies, You Kill Me. Just appreciate the alcoholism. As a Polish in cold weather it's um kinda like Grandpa..

https://www.traileraddict.com/you-kill-me/opening-8-minutes

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2017, 09:10:11 AM »
I LOVE Jagermeister. It's not all that surprising because I tend to like most of the northern European spiced liquers. We have a hot tub and after cross country skiing some kind of aquavit while soaking just hits the spot.

The marketing story of Jagermeister is particularly a good story. They sold a drink that old men sip to warm after hunting in Europe as the top American college frat shot. Simply amazing.

I don't think I've ever tasted Grand Marnier. We put in other cocktails but it never occurred to me to drink it straight.

When I used to ski/snowboard we'd get jager in the lodge.  Aside from college parties and alpine lodges, can't recall drinking it since.

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2017, 03:16:05 PM »
Glenlivet 12.  It isn't the best I've had, but it's pretty good and reasonable price.  More importantly, it's what grandpa drank.  So in every glass I put a little extra nip in the old man's memory.

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 01:41:44 PM »
OK, I gotta give some props. Bulleit Rye is awesome. Cherry pie and tobacco on the nose, Cinnamon and spice on the palate, and a medium almost peach citrus finish. Definitely my new favorite rye.

Offline katroo

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 09:33:28 PM »
My go-to whisky is Macallan 12yr.  Perfect on the back deck after a day of working the property, with a nice cigar.

I've also been on a rye kick recently, though.  Gotta agree with the previous posters that Bulleit Rye is pretty enjoyable.

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2017, 07:22:38 PM »
After a few years of being unsatisfied with what had become of the usual whiskeys I happened to have a chat with an insider of the industry. Blending had become more common and the pure rye I have always loved has become .... contaminated.
Sorry folks but just about any pure rye whiskey will put the others to shame - look for it.
"The best weapon you have is between your ears"

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2017, 08:06:49 PM »
After a few years of being unsatisfied with what had become of the usual whiskeys I happened to have a chat with an insider of the industry. Blending had become more common and the pure rye I have always loved has become .... contaminated.
Sorry folks but just about any pure rye whiskey will put the others to shame - look for it.

Whoa! a hardliner. I love it. So the Bulleit this thread got me on is 95% rye. And I'm digging it. If you've got a 100% rye recommendation... I'll take it to Total Wine. I get that "rye whiskey" need only be 51% rye but coming from the bourbon world blending seems forgivable??? I'm interested.