Author Topic: Survival Was Harder Than I Thought.  (Read 2006 times)

Offline t00nces2

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Todd's Home Repair
Re: Survival Was Harder Than I Thought.
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2017, 02:44:03 PM »
The reason this has been talked about here is that you raised the question as to what would happen in a LONGER power outage or SHTF.

There is nothing wrong with you or your neighbors deciding to spend gas on cooling when you knew it was short term. You asked, what if it was longer or a SHTF ? And, the answer is that you cant have airconditioners running 24 hours a day off of generators in everybodies separate houses longer term.

Carl Lives down south were it is hot and muggy, like you do. The people I linked the quotes from Live in Florida and had power out from these storms, just as you did. These folks seem to be saying that making do with fans to sleep at night is quite doable and makes the gas last a whole lot longer.

Yes, a longer time would be handled a bit differently. My point was more that in a TEOTWAWKI, gas would not last very long. There are difficulties associated with heat that limit the effectiveness of some of the methods of preparation. My main reason for the post was that my preparation was to have a small gen to run and eke gas and I wound up letting a neighbor use it to help get them through the trouble.
I knew on September 11, 2001 by 9:30 AM EDT that my life would probably not be as comfortable as it had been thus far, but it was definitely going to be more interesting.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2017, 03:37:07 PM »
  Good for you and the neighbor. Perhaps you can suggest a place where he can buy his own generator and help him out again....Here on the forum a post can often get torn apart like chum on the water with well intentioned advise.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2017, 10:51:11 AM »
Considered a chain and believe I came up with a way to secure the gen that was more secure. I looped 3/16 steel cable over on itself and made it short enough the gen could not be moved more than a few inches from the hurricane rated garage door. Nearly impossible to cut and if someone wanted to work on it around a 300 degree running generator, they were VERY determined people. I also hooked up a light like Jack has highlighted as an item of the day that comes on if the power goes off and pointed it right at my face as I slept. The power goes off, the light blares in my face to let me know the power has failed, the pistol is kept right at the nightstand and I can go outside in noticed.

FWIW, That attachment isn't very secure. Someone with an impact driver and nut driver could have that tap-con out in a matter of seconds. And with the generator running, no one would notice the noise of the impact.

I would look at a different means of attaching the anchor to the concrete.
~Derek

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep? ~ Proverbs 6:6-9

Offline t00nces2

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Todd's Home Repair
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2017, 02:35:30 PM »
FWIW, That attachment isn't very secure. Someone with an impact driver and nut driver could have that tap-con out in a matter of seconds. And with the generator running, no one would notice the noise of the impact.

I would look at a different means of attaching the anchor to the concrete.

The generator was on one side of the garage door and the anchor was on the other. You can see the garage door seat that runs between the gen and the anchor. With the garage door open, the difficulty removing the cable would be significantly reduced.
I knew on September 11, 2001 by 9:30 AM EDT that my life would probably not be as comfortable as it had been thus far, but it was definitely going to be more interesting.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2017, 02:54:07 PM »
The generator was on one side of the garage door and the anchor was on the other. You can see the garage door seat that runs between the gen and the anchor. With the garage door open, the difficulty removing the cable would be significantly reduced.

Not too bad for security as nothing beats a motion lamp and some kind of leash to give the owner time to load the house gun.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2017, 10:08:10 AM »

Yes, that would help. Good thinking.
~Derek

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep? ~ Proverbs 6:6-9

Offline TheLastBoyscout

• Prepper
  • When you stop learning its time to hang it up.
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2017, 05:26:57 AM »
At times we take things for granted and are surprised when they are more difficult than we thought.  As many in Florida discovered the simple resource of gasoline that we take for granted became scarce when just driving north through the state during Irma. 
Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2017, 08:17:16 AM »
  If you want to try out a SHTF, then you might want to help out the Red Cross. They are asking for 50 hams, general class or higher to work up to 3 weeks in PR. Then you see whats needed in the real thing. I just wish I could go, but with my health I be one of the problems.