Author Topic: Slide Lock  (Read 509 times)

Offline POCKETS

• Prepper
Slide Lock
« on: September 20, 2017, 11:58:53 AM »
I have a Kimber Raptor which I bought used. (The only way I could afford one)
My problem is, I load a round in the chamber, fire it and the slide locks back as if I had a empty magazine.
I enjoy shooting the gun. I just don't like having to release the slide every time.
Can you help me?

Pockets

Online David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Slide Lock
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 12:09:44 PM »
New mags. My Kimber is fussy. Either that or you have a worn out spring.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ryans Turnings
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 12:46:57 PM »
1st of, does this happen if someone else shoots the gun?  The reason I ask is you may be inadvertently applying pressure to the slide lock.  I've seen it happen when I worked at a gun range.
With a loaded mag in the gun and the slide locked back, pull back on the slide.  Does the lock drop down out of they way?  If not, you my have a worn/broke spring.

My hobby - Bolt Action pens and more: http://ryansturnings.etsy.com

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 02:14:53 PM »
Remove the slide and check with a loaded magazine slid into place ...Does the projectile in the magazine tough the slide lock ? It may be an aftermarket slide stop that can be easily replaced or maybe just needing a bit ground off so the cartridge misses the slide stop but the tab on the follower still actuates the slide stop. OR even easier can be the spring between the slide stop and the safety that is weak and needs replacement as the weak spring can allow the slide stop to move in recoil...OR is your hand and improper grip causing the slide stop to actuate?
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Online David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 02:26:52 PM »
Great points, guys.

Another thing about the 1911 is that you really need to break it in. My Kimber had feeding and ejection issues for about 500 rounds until it loosened up and began running fine. Drove me nuts but I got good at malfunctions.

Then again, maybe we shouldn't be shooting a gun devised for the cavalry.  ;)
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 04:20:48 PM »
Great points, guys.

Another thing about the 1911 is that you really need to break it in. My Kimber had feeding and ejection issues for about 500 rounds until it loosened up and began running fine. Drove me nuts but I got good at malfunctions.

Then again, maybe we shouldn't be shooting a gun devised for the cavalry.  ;)

you should be on a horse, it works 100% correctly on a horse.

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline POCKETS

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 09:52:17 AM »
Thank you one and all.  You have given me some ideas to work on.
Again THANKS!

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 10:17:01 AM »
Thank you one and all.  You have given me some ideas to work on.
Again THANKS!

Were you here,I could fix that in minutes as it is most likely an aftermarket slide stop that was not fitted properly to the gun. I have smithed 1911's for well over 40 years. If you remove the slide and place a loaded magazine in the grip frame you will see the projectile hit the slide stop or you will see the lack of a detent or spring tension to hold the slide stop in 'neutral' position ...If neither of these occur,it is your grip (or your lack of a horse  ;D

I have a few EARLY 1911's with the lanyard loops on the magazine base and they are a joy to own and shoot as they are original and pre 1920 and NO , they are not for sale.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 10:20:47 AM »
1st of, does this happen if someone else shoots the gun?  The reason I ask is you may be inadvertently applying pressure to the slide lock.  I've seen it happen when I worked at a gun range.
With a loaded mag in the gun and the slide locked back, pull back on the slide.  Does the lock drop down out of they way?  If not, you my have a worn/broke spring.

This was my thought. I have the opposite problem with my XD. The slide should lock open on the last round fired. If I'm not careful my thumb applies downward pressure to the lock and the slide will close when it should stay open. Not a huge deal at the range but it does mean I have to take extra care to be sure I'm out and I didn't have a dud primer. I try to be very aware of where my thumb is so I don't have this happen.