Author Topic: Loftec portable flood liamp,4000 MAH USB power bank $19  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Loftec portable flood liamp,4000 MAH USB power bank $19
« on: September 24, 2017, 12:35:00 PM »
Here is the review I gave it.

Portable Flood Light: LOFTEK Outdoor LED Pocket Floodlight with 4000mAh USB Rechargeable Power Bank Function is not totally waterproof,but is rain resistant and plenty tough with it's aluminum body and well attached metal belt clip. The light is a bit larger than a pack of cigarettes or about the size of TWO decks of playing cards stacked ...so it will fit in a man's shirt pocket if need be but the squareness and size makes it a slightly odd package as to fit pocket or hand well. I still must say that I like it as it performs well as an area light and can light a fairly large room well enough to walk about and work without the need to carry this light. The USB cord charges ,when plugged int a USB power source, the light at about 1 AMP current...so I would not charge it from a laptop or other tablet with USB1 or USB2 as it may cause trouble with over current. I charged my new light till the 'charge LED' turned from RED to GREEN and turned the light on...WOW...it is nearly equal to a 60 watt light bulb and the flood of light covers 140 degrees or so fairly evenly for about 5 hours and then it starts getting noticeably dimmer.The switch has a rubber cover that can cause a slight problem pushing the small rocker switch from center (OFF) to I for light and II for power bank feature where it will charge at up to 1 AMP for phone charging etc though it may be slow charging some of the newer phones that often use 2 Amps or so...it will work in a pinch.

As this is new for me and I am impressed with it's quality build and rugged looks...I will add more later if my opinion or the lights capability changes...I like it a lot out of the box.

Now I add that it is a fair work lamp and very bright,but will not carry well in the hand or in a pocket due to it's size and square corners,the belt clip will work...but I use it more as a stationary light and have super glued some rare earth magnets to it on one side and velcro to the back to attach to my pack. I got it for less ,but looked up the price and for the TRUE (5 volts out) power bank and bright lamp ,plus solid enough to use as a wheel chock tough metal body lamp ...it kinda' grows on you in an ugly puppy kind of way.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW1LALM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
Re: Loftec portable flood liamp,4000 MAH USB power bank $19
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »
I checked out the Amazon link, a pretty interesting light. 90% of the reviews were 4 or 5 stars- I'll put one on my next order. Finding your post was a coincidence of sorts since I was searching the forum looking for an anglehead 18650 light. Not quite the same, this light being larger and heavier would make a pretty good light to keep in a car plus it can charge a phone. Nobody should get caught like someone I know, changing a flat tire on a dark road by cell phone light. A nice find, thanks!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 11:10:40 AM »
  It is a good,solid lamp that is large for pocket or hand carry and will benefit for some kind of stand to support it as a work light ,the Power bank feature uses electronics to step up the battery voltage to make for a good 5 volt charge at 1 amp BUT if the switch is left in the charge position ,it will slowly lose charge to power the electronics ,even when not charging a device...it is common though sometime neglected as the switch must be OFF to conserve power when lamp or power bank are not in use. I don't charge any USB devices though I still like the 'industrial' feel of this device.

It is a great lamp and power bank at the cost of a power bank alone.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 11:22:26 AM »
After some debate on which model Loftek to order I got the 15 watt portable floodlight. The first thing I noticed was it's weight. Kind of heavy which may be a good thing since I intended to keep it in the car. This thing will not get blown away too easily! The 15 watts is a total, 11w white, 2w red, 2w blue. There is an SOS mode which flashes red & blue. The overall brightness is good, a claimed 650 lumens white light, 380 on low. There doesnt seem to be much difference between high and low visually. The manual says the battery is 6600mAHr, 3x2200mAHr- I would guess 3 18650s. The case is screwed together, screws under removable rubber plugs. I didn't try to open the case yet.
I was going to discharge the battery once then give it a run time test. It ran maybe 5 hours, I don't know for sure, and I saw the low battery indicator. That was when I discovered it wouldn't charge. Different cables, power sources but it wouldn't charge at all. I guess it's going back for an exchange.
I like this light. It is sturdy, heavy, and a bit big. The folding handle is held on by 2 big allen screws. The only plastic on this thing is covering the LEDs. I don't have a true runtime for it, but it ran maybe 5 hours right out of the box on high. At 650 lumens I thought it would be somewhat brighter, but I am used to the tight beam of a flashlight and this light's beam is a wide 120 degrees. It's plenty bright even on low. I may try to open it up before returning it to take a peek inside, maybe the charge problem is a quick fix.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 12:36:55 PM »
  Good luck,let me know how it works out. They are responsive to email and should get you fixed up fast.

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 09:44:11 AM »
I did open it up. There are 3 18650s heat wrapped together so I couldn't see their brand. It does appear well made. I didnt see anything obviously wrong so Ill get an exchange for it soon. The battery bank recharge feature didnt work either so I am guessing the circuit board is at fault. Ill post some test results when I get a replacement.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 10:20:32 AM »
Curiously, this is offered in Amazon's "subscribe and save" at a 10% discount.  I suppose I could order one every 3 months :)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 10:55:26 AM »
  It gives even ,quality,light for up to FIVE bright hours and that is pretty 'industrial' in my book. Too many of the good bright lights are good for only an hour and often let you down before the job is done.

Offline kid_couteau

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 08:26:10 AM »
Does it get hot after hours of use?

Do you think this light will have good longevity?

Do you know if it can be charged from one of the USB solar panels?

I think this might be good for my parents.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:31:31 AM by kid_couteau »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 09:49:48 AM »
Does it get hot after hours of use?  No,only warm to the touch

Do you think this light will have good longevity?COB lamps are well protected and regulated Chips On Board

Do you know if it can be charged from one of the USB solar panels?  Yes ,though a bit slow for most panels

I think this might be good for my parents.  Good trade

Offline kid_couteau

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 06:55:31 PM »
Got mine in today
So far the only MINOR issue I have is the switch has a rubber cover and is hard to get to turn on

Outside of that its great. Probably be buyin more
Kid

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 10:33:22 AM »
I received my replacement 15 watt Loftec, everything works. Straight out of the box to charger it took 2.7 amp hours to top off. The manufacturer rates the battery at 6600mAH. From full charge I put the light on high. After 5 hours non stop at high setting the battery indicator was still green. Somewhere between 5 hours and 5 hours 40 minutes the battery low started flashing. So, a solid 5 hour runtime on high, and the case gets ever so slightly warm. Even at the 5hr 40min point there was still plenty of light.
I like this thing! A few more tests to run and in the car it goes. BTW,, I believe most of this thread was about the 15w Loftec's more compact version. The 15w version is 11w white, only 1 more than the compact. What the 15w version gets you is a larger battery, a bright alternating blue  red distress beacon, more weight and a built in handle. The current to charge the light appears to be 1 amp, roughly 1hr charge for 1 hour use.
The 15w version does  not use a rocker switch. It uses 2 small push buttons, one for white, the other sos. There are hard to see labels. If you turn on the wrong mode just press the other button and the light switches modes. Easy to operate, multi functional, 5+ hours continuous use, built in handle/ stand, and gasket sealed. I'll post the results using it as a charger soon.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 11:20:34 AM »
Got mine in today
So far the only MINOR issue I have is the switch has a rubber cover and is hard to get to turn on

Outside of that its great. Probably be buyin more
Kid

It is a rocker switch and requires a bit of care ,or luck,to turn the device on,careful though because the power bank function...if left on (no indication when it is on) will drain the device and you will have a bunch of milliamps on the loose.

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 08:20:06 AM »
Update on the 15watt Loftek. I used the battery bank feature to test it out. It went dead when I wasn't around so I wasn't able to see how much power it supplied, but it took a little over 6AH to recharge. Basically, everything the manufacturer claims seems to hold up in real life. On the down side, there still seems to be something of a problem getting a good connection on the mini usb to charge the unit. Even with the supplied cable it takes some fussing to get a charge going. I got the original unit and a replacement through Amazon and 2 for 2 seem to have issues. Either I had a bad run of luck or there is an issue with the connector.
Has anyone run into any problems charging their light? I will get around to writing Loftek support and see what they say.

Maybe a bit off topic, I also ordered an Anker LC40 flashlight. I was looking for an inexpensive 18650 light to leave at work. Basically what the reviews say are pretty accurate. I comes with a 3-AAA adapter so the diameter of the light is a little large at about an inch. Not bad though. The most annoying thing is the barrel is round so it has a tendency to roll unless the lanyard is used to hold it in place. All in all a nice light at a good price.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 08:44:54 AM »
  I find that you should not run this ,or any similar, Lithium powered light to dead as most will have 'issues' with a protective charger charging Lithium cells Safely and often such a safety circuit will start a very low current ,slow,charge...if at all.I try to never fully drain 18650's choosing to replace the cell (to recharge) with a spare when High output begins to look about the same level as medium or low output. The cells are not designed for beyond 75 or 80% discharge,in my opinion,and the balance/safety circuits (in devices that have one,are not designed for such abuse.

Just my opinion on why you had problems when attempting to charge a totally discharged device that does have balance/charge circuit built in.

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 03:28:41 PM »
After bouncing around in the car I connected the Loftek to the original charging cable. Once again I felt a positive seating and an actual sound of the connector seating on the light side. This may have been my charging issue since I dont usually seat cables that hard. Anyway, it charged first attempt and after a minute or so indicated full charge.

I agree with preventing full discharges when possible. I switch the 18650 for a fully charged one every week in my EDC light, more often if it gets used a lot. Still, there are times something's run time is shorter than expected or I don't get back to the charger when I should. For now there doesn't seem to be any noticeable damage, but that may change as the batteries get older with more use on them.

Offline kid_couteau

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 10:17:30 AM »
Hi All
I think I just found this lights cheaper cousin
Seems to be the same thing though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2Z1MT1/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

11.99 when I ordered just now

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 12:37:03 PM »
Hi All
I think I just found this lights cheaper cousin
Seems to be the same thing though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2Z1MT1/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

11.99 when I ordered just now

It does look like the original light and still the same awkward shape ...Great flood or area light ...I can't help it ,I'm ordering one.

Offline kid_couteau

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 01:19:47 PM »
I ordered 2  8)

Offline kid_couteau

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 07:34:51 AM »
This new light appears to be the same as the other one
Only difference I can see is the color of the switch is different.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 06:37:54 PM »
This new light appears to be the same as the other one
Only difference I can see is the color of the switch is different.

Mine too,I will pass it to someone for Christmas as the BOL has 3 and I have one ...that should be enough.