Author Topic: Super Nutty Granola taste test AUGASON FARMS ,ten years in storage  (Read 790 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Super Nutty Granola taste test AUGASON FARMS ,ten years in storage
« on: September 25, 2017, 01:50:49 PM »
  I rotated a few #10 cans of this out as it was in the pallets with 25 year storage that were nearing the rotation time from some BOL shared storage that I can deal with as I please.Well this is at it's suggested 10 year limit,but I know a month or so does not make things turn green so I thought I might try the stuff though I am not a granola eater as  I have always eaten Hot cereals like oatmeal and boxes sugar coated sugar lumps sold as KID GRUB.

Poured a bit from the freshly opened 10 year old can and stuck a spoon in the lumpy oatmeal looking stuff...expecting cardboard,I was surprised with a semi sweet oatmeal flavor that was GOOD. I would eat this with some milk and maybe a touch of sweetener...maybe honey powder or I would mix some M&M's and dried fruit maybe and make a small grained trail mix with maybe some KIDDIE CEREAL tossed in for fast energy value.

The open can says up to 1 year shelf life but as Brandi,my avatar and good friend ate a good quantity,she asked for it,I think I may not wait long before opening another can. The 2 pounds 14 ounces offers 24 servings at 250 calories as canned for a whopping 6000 calories per can at $15 and LESS is real food value. The illustration looks a bit nuttier than the product but the smaller seeds are deceptive to my vision as there are a lot of sunflower seeds and other non oats looking things in the mix with the cane sugar added is a just right mix.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096I3NU6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: Super Nutty Granola taste test AUGASON FARMS ,ten years in storage
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 03:29:07 PM »
This summer I sampled some freeze dried blueberry granola.  We prepared it like Mountain House style food, as it came in a foil pouch.  It was surprisingly good.  If this is anything similar, it's likely a winner.

Where'd you find it for $15?  Most of the #10 cans on AMZN show $30 or so.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 03:48:11 PM »
thanks for all the storage food reviews lately.

I see it for 21 a can at the manufacturers' web site. There should be a sale somewhere for full cases....dont know
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 03:49:03 PM »
  From the link I posted ,we got 12 of the #10 cans ...advertised for $12.99 and we got 20% discount for quantity.
Put product in your LIST and they advise when price drops or item available ,We also got several cans of brown sugar at $4.99 and FREE shipping as we like the cans.

I see it for about $30 today.Maybe I should post a "bargain" thread as I 'shop' this kind of stuff often for such bargains.

Often such deals clear out slow stock and limited quantity kind of deals.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 04:35:51 PM »
thanks for all the storage food reviews lately.

I see it for 21 a can at the manufacturers' web site. There should be a sale somewhere for full cases....dont know

I put things I am interested in ,in my WISH LIST on AMAZON and often get alerted to price changes and availability.
As for the reviews,several members in my group have storage at the BOL and I rotate and maintain their foods for them and often they just say to do as I wish with the stuff as most is rotated out at 10 years and they just buy more (must be nice to have that kind of money) as I chose carefully so as to have professionals as they pay for secure storage.

Well I used to give much of it away though the large quantity available now has me rethinking and eating the stuff so my toy budget gets a boost as the grocery budget has shrunk. When I now open a new case or can ,I plan to review the aged product (most at 10 years storage) and while technology may have allowed for a better product...I give my fair opinion and so it might help other make a decision. My own stock is only for my home and is limited to the lowest cost for quantity as I find DEALS. You gotta' grab a deal fast as often it is to generate traffic.

But I hope the reviews help as I find most brands are the same ,except for spices,and they are all good so far and my dog and I must agree that ity is good before I will say it is good. :)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 05:04:47 PM »
I put things I am interested in ,in my WISH LIST on AMAZON and often get alerted to price changes and availability.
As for the reviews,several members in my group have storage at the BOL and I rotate and maintain their foods for them and often they just say to do as I wish with the stuff as most is rotated out at 10 years and they just buy more (must be nice to have that kind of money) as I chose carefully so as to have professionals as they pay for secure storage.

Well I used to give much of it away though the large quantity available now has me rethinking and eating the stuff so my toy budget gets a boost as the grocery budget has shrunk. When I now open a new case or can ,I plan to review the aged product (most at 10 years storage) and while technology may have allowed for a better product...I give my fair opinion and so it might help other make a decision. My own stock is only for my home and is limited to the lowest cost for quantity as I find DEALS. You gotta' grab a deal fast as often it is to generate traffic.

But I hope the reviews help as I find most brands are the same ,except for spices,and they are all good so far and my dog and I must agree that ity is good before I will say it is good. :)

This last weekend I got to talking with a fellow who lives aboard a sail board in a local marina.  About 8 years ago his wife passed away, and his children are grown, so he's single.
He indulged a bunch of my sail boat questions and the subject of food came up.

How can you store enough pantry? 
Does it get expensive not having refrigeration on board?
etc.

Because he only had to satisfy himself, he developed a system of storing cheap, easy to prepare items on the boat, and would eat out a few times a week when he craved fresh ingredients like a dinner salad or ice cream.
He explained how he actually SAVED money on his grocery budget, because aboard the boat he only ate for subsistence, not pleasure or entertainment as most do.  If he wasn't hungry he didn't eat.  Sometimes an apple was lunch.

My family would be fairly annoyed if I served them oatmeal for dinner 3 nights each week, but if it were up to me, and I had personal financial goals that were more important than my appetite, I can see doing the same for myself.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 05:39:01 PM »
  I am grazing on the can of granola again as dinner while watching a movie on Pryme . I eat a pretty plain menu though when an interesting item goes on sale I will hit the button. I budget by putting money in my account each month...when it runs out no toys or new foods. The neapolitan astronaught ice cream I got was pretty good for under $2 a bar....gotta love then sales.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 05:06:42 AM »
NOW priced at $16.52  out of stock,will ship when available ...6,000 calories , 2 lbs 14 oz and tastes really good with milk

https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms-Super-Nutty-Granola/dp/B0096I3NU6/ref=pd_sim_468_51?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9N9EGP3J1DM8YB6QEGPE

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 08:38:06 AM »
Thanks Carl  ;)
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 08:47:19 AM »
Thanks Carl  ;)

I first found this stuff for a bit under $10 a can and it may go lower but I enjoy watching for 'deals' and this granola is good and a good deal. I have seen it available at a Walmart online site ,but usually shipping adds a lot to the cost and my PRIME account allows for FREE shipping for over 300 packages ,so far,this year and that too was a $79 membership bargain for a year. This is great when the MORNING MOO (milk powder) is mixed in dry and re-jarred for later. Then you just add a bit of water or I often 'snack' on it dry ...the nut count looks low but most are chips and slivers and bits and I find it about 20% nuts as best as I can tell and good nutrition.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 09:09:09 AM »
...the nut count looks low but

Well yer lucky. Our nut count around here gets pretty high sometimes.  :rofl:

Walmart has the *anything over $35.00* free shipping, so check that out.
I've found Walmart to be cheaper on Augason products than Amazon.
But now that Walmart is trying to compete with Amazon online, gotta watch Walmarts prices.  ???
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016