Author Topic: Checking in after a seriously long hiatus!  (Read 3141 times)

Offline DonC

• Survivor
  • We have met the Enemy and he is us......
Checking in after a seriously long hiatus!
« on: September 26, 2017, 03:13:47 AM »
Hey TSP'ers,

I apologize for having to take a seriously long hiatus! Lotsa stuff has been going on since I moved back to SWOK with the XYL! But, was it all that important? HECK YEAH!!!!

1. Skywarn - Southwest Oklahoma has more than its fair share of severe WX! I wasn't this busy with Skywarn in Louisiana, (and I did a lot there), so I've felt a little unprepared! But alas, I've got my system streamlined and things are a lot easier!

2. AFMARS - With the multiple Hurricanes this season, you can imagine how involved this has been! But that's more than OK! Readiness is extremely important!

3. Local Club - Volunteering with the Local club isn't just paying dues and showing up to a meeting or two! This club is so involved with the community! This is a good thing! (5K's, the Air Base, Emergency Management, City wide events, etc).

4. Got Bronchitis with a "touch of pneumonia" - Self-explanatory! But it sucked!

5. Got me a new pup/guard dog in training - In missing Carl's Lab, my "girlfriend", Brandi, I decided it was high time for me to get me a new friend! So, I found me a German Shepherd/Lab mix puppy! His name is Maximus. He's currently 9weeks old and already deep in training! (I train my own dogs! I have the experience). He is fully housebroken and has 3 hand commands and 4 voice commands down and a few more to go! Did I mention he's a good puppy? Well, he is........ for now! I plan on training him as a guard dog! I will give him the signal if a person is OK or not.

6. Setting up my shack - I've been working hard in my shack getting things in order! I've put this off a lot during the hot summer! Now that it's cooling off, I plan on working on one of three towers next! Gotta lot of work ahead! But I'm looking forward to it!

7. Trying my hand at "Elmer-ing" - This is probably the most important part of our hobby and it's fading fast with the "Elder Elmers!" We have a new HAM in our Club and I've taken it upon myself to share everything I've learned so far from my Elmer and am working hard to introduce him to the various aspects of Amateur Radio! He's eager to learn and while we have several "Older" Hams, they're not as inclined to Elmer as they should, (in my opinion). I don't want this particular Ham to fall to the wayside! So, I've started him off with a Data DVD full of info! Then, I invited him over to view some HF, digital modes, and antenna setups. (Hopefully I can get him interested in building a few antennas). Finally, he made the mistake of giving me his email address! So, as Carl does with me, (and I really, truly appreciate it), I'm sharing all the important emails I've saved from Carl, with him! (That's more than 2 years worth of emails. I have hundreds of excellent emails filled with so much info)!

8. Personally impacted by Hurricane Irma and Maria - My in-laws were severely impacted by these two beasts! (All are physically safe). Not so much Irma as Maria. My Rents-in-laws live in St. Croix, USVI! They sustained major damage to their home! We've been able to make contact since. Repairs are underway! Thank the LORD! 

So, as you can see, I've been a bit busy! I will do my best to get back to contributing when/where I can! Although I haven't been chiming in, I've been reading several of the posts from time to time. So, thanks to all for keeping this forum alive with ideas, questions, comments, and concerns! It makes for great reading!

Take care and God bless!
DonC

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: Checking in after a seriously long hiatus!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 05:18:25 AM »
Hi Don, good to see you again.  Yes, it has been a busy summer for you!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 05:32:28 AM »
  Elmering is the best way I have found to further my own education in all things Ham.
I learned more than you might imagine while working to educate you and others in the ZEN of wire
and other such obscure subjects that all go so awry on the 'conventional wisdom' of the wives tales passed as truth today.
I know that you will learn so much more by continuing your hobby and educating others .
Brandi and I do miss having you around though as the days are just not the same without an antenna to make ,or break and
Brandi really misses the high octane Monster Mocha drinks that made her put footprints on the walls and ceiling.

Offline DonC

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 07:08:45 AM »
Well Carl, I have you to thank! I have a lot, but not nearly all your knowledge. More than that, I had your motivation to push myself forward in my hobby. This Kid is so green in the hobby like I was a couple years ago. Since no one else, with more experience, was willing to help this kid out, I felt it necessary to take on the challenge! But more than helping Steven out, I'm thinking I'll gain some more knowledge by recalling what I've learned and a renewed sense of amateur radio that has slacked during the hot summer months.

Alan, it is good to be back! The hectic events are well on the downside, so, it's back to work......LOL!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 09:02:42 AM »
Well Carl, I have you to thank! I have a lot, but not nearly all your knowledge. More than that, I had your motivation to push myself forward in my hobby. This Kid is so green in the hobby like I was a couple years ago. Since no one else, with more experience, was willing to help this kid out, I felt it necessary to take on the challenge! But more than helping Steven out, I'm thinking I'll gain some more knowledge by recalling what I've learned and a renewed sense of amateur radio that has slacked during the hot summer months.

Alan, it is good to be back! The hectic events are well on the downside, so, it's back to work......LOL!

You will find great reward in the service of others.Helping you was more helping me than you know.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 09:07:11 AM »
Welcome back Don.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 10:40:32 AM »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran

Offline DonC

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 03:31:54 AM »
Welcome back Don.

Thanks Sean! I hope all is well! I enjoyed the pics in the email you sent from your Church outing! Looks like you had fun!

Offline DonC

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 03:32:43 AM »
+1

Thanks StWood! It's good to be back!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 05:20:38 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 07:00:42 AM »
Glad you found your way back here...

Cedar

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 04:29:41 PM »
you're back and I'm on break  :o

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 05:37:29 AM »

Kinda' like Clark Kent disappearing whenever Superman is around.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 08:07:09 AM »
Welcome back DonC, good to see you are back and have been engaged in the meantime.

Offline DonC

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 02:15:17 PM »
Glad you found your way back here...

Cedar

Thanks Cedar!

Offline DonC

• Survivor
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 02:17:37 PM »

Maybe there's something to Carl's Superman theory! Superman is off saving the world and Clark Kent, (Me), is writing posts for "The Daily TSP!"

Thanks Cale! Enjoy your Vacation!

Offline DonC

• Survivor
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 02:18:26 PM »
Welcome back DonC, good to see you are back and have been engaged in the meantime.

Thanks Chem! It is nice to be back!