Author Topic: Antenna Analyzer 1 to 60 MHZ for under $100  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Antenna Analyzer 1 to 60 MHZ for under $100
« on: September 28, 2017, 10:19:32 AM »
  This is a fair price for a digital analyzer . I have played with one for a short time and found it capable . Looks like a good deal though I still think money is better spent FIRST on an Automatic antenna tuner.

https://www.amazon.com/KKmoon-Shortwave-Antenna-Analyzer-Tester/dp/B073WWTTXC/ref=sr_1_522?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506615440&sr=1-522&keywords=ham+radio

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Antenna Analyzer 1 to 60 MHZ for under $100
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 10:44:30 AM »
What do you like for an automatic antenna tuner anyway?
Im in the market for one

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 11:08:16 AM »
What do you like for an automatic antenna tuner anyway?
Im in the market for one

MY choice is LDG and my favorite ,for many reasons,is the AT-200 PRO II because it will tune almost any mismatch when driven by 5 to 250 watts of AM/FM carrier or CW tone (it requires a carrier) and has LED BAR GRAPH SWR and Power readout(with 0-25 and 0-250 watt scales) and there is also a TWO ANTENNA SWITCH that is excellent for antenna testing and comparison.

An antenna switch,SWR/WATTMETER and antenna tuner can add up to more money fast and I have used this AT200ProII for well over 4 years now to protect my radios and have way greater antenna flexibility.

Before you ask...Carl,Why do you use a 250 watt tuner on a 100 watt radio? I answer that the inductors are larger and less prone to saturation and the capacitors have greater voltage capacity and the AT100 ProII is $185 ,so the heavier duty tuner just seemed worth the $50 bux more though I also have and use the AT100ProII ($185 at RandL) and it does all the same stuff at 125 watts or less so either one is a winner but I prefer the extra capacity of the AT200ProII.

http://www.ldgelectronics.com/c/252/products/17/3/1

Available at R&L Electronics (my favorite dealer) for $234

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 11:27:04 AM »
Hi
Thank you
But is there anything out there for someone say on a more Jack Daniels and less of a Champagne budget?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 12:18:57 PM »
There is a manual tuner from MFJ,the MFJ 941E it handles up to 300 watts with a cross needle watt/SWR meter and built in 4 to one balun for multiband and long wire antenna feeding. I can't deal with buttons and knobs so well and the auto tuners are so much faster and auto tune to protect the radio so I still feel the AT100 ProII is worth the 50 dollars more , but if you don't mind the manual procedure they the MFJ941 is a well tested workhorse of a tuner.

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member

Offline DonC

• Survivor
  • We have met the Enemy and he is us......
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 12:52:11 PM »
I too am sold on LDG! As for your Amazon find, I have one and have used it for 2 years and it works just fine! It tunes well. And to be honest, like Carl said, the little bit of extra money in this hobby is worth it if you don't have to replace it again in a month. Just saying! But again, the Z100 is a good tuner!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 12:54:31 PM »
  I have owned,and used one for a couple years till I passed it and a radio to DON,a member here at TSP,who needed a good auto tuner. It is essentially the same tuner board as the AT100ProII but lacks the antenna switch and power/SWR readout. It will do the job just as well though not as pretty.
SEE...DON answered while I was typing this .

Get it for $135 at R&L and maybe save a few bucks as the UPS shipping can eat up money compared to PRIME free ship from AMAZON.

http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=5120&products_id=67082

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 12:59:28 PM »
  Well,there's another thread that deviated way off the path... :P

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 01:28:56 PM »
Yeah but let me check the karma readings

Are people helping people: check
Are people learning: check
Are people getting along and not fighting: check
Are people happy: check

Looks like good karma to me Brother  ;)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 01:30:17 PM »
Yeah but let me check the karma readings

Are people helping people: check
Are people learning: check
Are people getting along and not fighting: check
Are people happy: check

Looks like good karma to me Brother  ;)

PLUS,I actually did start it in the original post.  and OK,I gave you some Karma for not fighting.. :popcorn: It's good on popcorn.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 06:27:17 PM »
Man, they even managed to under-price the used MFJ analyzer I picked up last winter.  That's a smokin' deal.  Won't do 2m or 70cm, but at this price and if all you need is an HF+6m analyzer, it's hard to beat.

Back to the subject of autotuners, don't count out the MFJ-939 if you're in the market.  Rated at 200 watts, $160, works great.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 05:38:03 AM »
  Also, there are many tuners out there with switch selected inductors (like many MFJ)
that are plenty good as I bought a TenTec for $50 not long ago .
  One can pre-tune by listening to a signal,or even the static while adjusting the inductor first till sound is LOUDEST and then the 'antenna' capacitor for peak sound ,and then the 'radio side capacitor' till it als has peaked the audio...This will save wear and heat on the radio's amplifier/output circuit as the 'tune by ear' method gets you close without stressing the radio and then a minor adjustment under TX power (usually 10 watts or so) will get all in tune...note this process is why I enjoy the auto tuner and it's ont to five seconds tune cycle...much faster than one can manipulate the manual tuners.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 09:14:17 AM »
  I like analyzers and antenna modeling to get the antenna close to matching the feed line. Being a Mars operator I still need a tuner and just have to live with the losses. Some Mars operators use a terminated antenna because the losses can be lower then feed line mismatch. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 10:04:03 AM »
  I like analyzers and antenna modeling to get the antenna close to matching the feed line. Being a Mars operator I still need a tuner and just have to live with the losses. Some Mars operators use a terminated antenna because the losses can be lower then feed line mismatch.

Yes,I do believe that a 'cut to frequency'antenna is better than an antenna matched (tuned) to a radios output needs though SWR is no judgement as to antenna effectiveness. Most any antenna that is not 'cut to the frequency' is a compromise though I suggest many non-resonant antennas because they are frequency flexible and or easy and fast to make operational. An analyzer is a great tool for one who advances beyond radio operator and wants to experiment with antennas...but I think far more people just want the EASY,FAST,SAFE way to get operational and worry little on the equations that were needed to get there.I am still studing antennas though I teach those interested ,while I also continue to learn. I try to pass my preference of making an antenna VS buying a chrome plated undersized piece of junk that is marginal at best when that $300 yard art could be replaced with a very few dollars worth of wire and be a better antenna.
  Few even take the time to learn about NVIS and it's value as solid local (50 to 500 miles) communications. While it sounds like complicated magic,
it can be as simple as sticking the up low to earth ,even a magnetic antenna can do the magic when stuck on the side of an auto or dumpster.Sorry for wandering though this thread may help someone along the way.

I just do what I can to help others as my time is nearly done.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 11:21:59 AM »
carl, thanks! you saved me money and the exasperation to find one on this price range...

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 11:30:15 AM »
carl, thanks! you saved me money and the exasperation to find one on this price range...

While I an not aware of all answers to some questions,I can advise on the successes and history of myself and my friends. You are welcome though
I don't know which item I helped you with.. :)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 12:01:28 PM »
you are puling my leg I think.. this antenna analyzer

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2017, 12:12:37 PM »
you are puling my leg I think.. this antenna analyzer

Good,and no...your leg has not been pulled..this was a dual subject thread with analyzer and tuners .

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2017, 12:38:27 PM »
Sorry  8)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 01:04:56 PM »
  It's all good ,the subject in my first post included antenna tuners and it was all dealt with in the thread ,so far ,except for a lower cost tuner for you.
I fully understand economy as part of the buy decision,I just long ago learned that the real economy is in QUALITY and then man to gear interface,and last is economy. Not the way I shop for other things. If your radio has a built in SWR METER or you have an external one,there is no reason you must get  more than you need though you will wind up with 'it' later...I am just already at 'LATER' after over 25 years of Ham radio.