Author Topic: Water storage  (Read 2902 times)

Offline Yooper53

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Water storage
« on: October 06, 2017, 08:35:02 AM »
Just wanted to ask a question. Have a chance to buy some GI 5 gal water cans. They are in great condition dont think they where ever used.  Are they worth picking up and what should I like for.  I would like to use them for long term storage if possible. They are the green ones with handle a large and small pour spout. Thanks

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Water storage
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 08:43:03 AM »
For me how many would be a matter of price and space to safely store them full.

Offline Yooper53

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 09:08:09 AM »
I have alot of room in the basement and they are $5 apiece

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 09:26:50 AM »

I have seen reviews that some of the newer reliance containers are made of cheaper thin plastic. I have many containers but some develop cracks etc .. I get water from mountain streams or towns that have better water transport it in a container and then filter it.

This one seemed solid, it looks like the same one I just bought:

https://shop.doversaddlery.com/blitz-6-12-gallon-self-venting-water-can/p/W1-C27704A/?eid=X18A00U1000&utm_source=google&utm_medium=PLA&utm_campaign=NB_PLA_Retail_New+England_GOOG&adpos=1o2&creative=182746402219&device=c&matchtype=&network=g

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 09:39:15 AM »
You might want to pick up a few, but 5 gallons of water goes pretty quick. They are nice for transporting water, but for your home you might want something larger. Ideally  something like this is nice because it holds a fair amount of water in a reasonably small footprint.

http://www.tanksforless.com/p/703/polymart-250gallon-emergency-plastic-water-storage-tank?gclid=Cj0KCQjw09zOBRCqARIsAH8XF1bQfVXikLorCjeRONEsVrKwM3Q-CqVXEF8OWnI6OGQtIs4QkEodGA0aAoauEALw_wcB

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 04:54:00 AM »
I agree that a big tank if more convenient for bug in, but if you can get the scepter water jugs cheaper per gallon, I would do that.  Buy enough for at least a week for everyone in your house, more is better.  You can't have too much water.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 06:00:52 AM »
  I would rather carry a small water supply and a good water filter.

Offline Yooper53

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 06:02:06 AM »
Thanks all for the info I picked up 10 and got them for $30. Do like that large contained as posted will be looking into it

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 07:36:38 AM »
Thanks all for the info I picked up 10 and got them for $30. Do like that large contained as posted will be looking into it

Not bad for low cost home storage of water.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 02:16:06 PM »
Good to have both water cans and larger storage tank.  The tank is way more compact than the equivalent number of water cans.  BUT, you need to transport water at some point: to parts of the house, to a neighbor or family, bug out, camping, etc.  That was an excellent deal on the water cans!!

Offline NickJ

• Prepper
  • NEVER pick you nose after harvesting pepper seeds!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 07:44:23 PM »
If you got actual military water jugs you got a steal at $5 a piece. I would have bought everyone he had at that price. They are rugged and the large cap is nice.

Offline Applejack

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 07:25:30 PM »
I have. a lot of the smaller 6 gal water jugs like that but would love to have one of those large ones as well. Just wish they would come down in price so I could better afford one.

Offline EmilyPayne

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 02:20:05 AM »
I think you should give it a shot and if you have a basement then there's no room for second thought. They are considered as one of the best containers for it's durability and heavy utility.