Author Topic: Prepare by preventing Alzheimer's  (Read 762 times)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Prepare by preventing Alzheimer's
« on: November 08, 2017, 02:57:39 PM »
This article has some very interesting ideas on possible ways of preventing Alzheimer's... since we are currently caring for my fil at our house, it is a subject very close to home for us. And... seeing the devastating effect of this disease has given us great incentive to do anything possible to try to prevent it.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/diagnosis-diet/201609/preventing-alzheimer-s-disease-is-easier-you-think

A side benefit... after being on the ketogenic diet for about 10 months, both the hubs and I have each lost over 25 lbs and feel great.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: Prepare by preventing Alzheimer's
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 04:45:32 PM »
This article has some very interesting ideas on possible ways of preventing Alzheimer's... since we are currently caring for my fil at our house, it is a subject very close to home for us. And... seeing the devastating effect of this disease has given us great incentive to do anything possible to try to prevent it.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/diagnosis-diet/201609/preventing-alzheimer-s-disease-is-easier-you-think

A side benefit... after being on the ketogenic diet for about 10 months, both the hubs and I have each lost over 25 lbs and feel great.

As a parent of an insulin dependent child, you'd think I'd follow this advice myself.  We're all so exhausted with the normal work/school/family routine we just through convenience food along with an dose of humalog.

Also, I thought any ketosis oriented diet would only be temporary.  e.g. you can shed 20 lbs. but then will plateau after your glucagon replenishes and your resistance stabilizes.

Offline CarbideAndIron

• Prepper
  • I don't know what to do, I'm new.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 08:51:57 AM »

Also, I thought any ketosis oriented diet would only be temporary.  e.g. you can shed 20 lbs. but then will plateau after your glucagon replenishes and your resistance stabilizes.

Do you mean that the weight loss would be temporary?
If you are actually eating low enough amounts of carbs and protein to be in ketosis, then there wont be any glycogen for glucagon to convert into glucose through gluconeogenesis. Many people eat too much protein on a ketogenic diet, because they don't realize that it can convert into glucose that way. Also, people that engage in highly glycolytic activities (think grappling or crossfit), can eat more carbs and protein while remaining in ketosis since they are burning up the glycogen stores.

I think it's great to see more light being shone on the benefits of ketosis. It's been used to treat epilepsy since like 1919. Seems like many things effecting the brain, alzheimer's, brain tumors, etc...are pretty much stopped in their tracks with ketosis.
I personally follow a cyclic ketogenic diet. I was having RA symptoms so bad that I couldn't walk for days at a time, and had to use a cane (age 32 and healthy). No flare ups since. I added in carbs once a week for performance reasons. I am a powerlifter and want to stay between 203 and 208 for now. I was dropping below 200 staying in ketosis full time. Started at 240.
"You can live a life of discipline, or a life of regret" - Andy Stumpf

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 11:51:59 AM »
interesting..

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 12:31:02 PM »
Thanks for sharing, carbide and iron... we are relatively new to this, although it has always seemed obvious to me that all the high-carb food is largely responsible for the health problems of many. All those delicious desserts that are so popular with Americans (and I do love to bake) have had to go by the wayside for us. I do still make them for others... I just don't partake.

As for the longer-term effects on our end... we both lost most of the weight at about 4 months, after which the weight loss has slowed (mainly because we aren't that far from our ideal weights). I've probably only lost about another 5 pounds since June... just keeping to the general plan and trying to keep up the healthy eating. And... still in ketosis. Along with trying to eat more in accordance with the ketogenic diet, we have also tried to remove the unhealthy fats from our pantry (no more canola or vegetable oil or shortening) and substitute the good stuff -- coconut oil, olive oil, lard, even. More salads, more vegetables, bacon, etc. For snacks, we tend more toward nuts (yes, I know they are supposed to be used in moderation -- they do contain a fair amount of carbs) and carrot sticks with almond butter...

One thing that we quickly learned was how difficult it is to get a salad dressing that doesn't have vegetable oil as the #1 ingredient. My response has been to make all our own dressings... it has actually been a fun adventure. I downloaded a collection of 50 different dressing recipes and have been working my way through. Delicious and only made with ingredients that are good for us :)

@Carbide and Iron: Do you have any particular tips for the long term?

Offline CarbideAndIron

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 07:35:36 PM »
LvsChant,
Check out Primal Kitchen for dressings and mayo, they use avocado oil. And have you had keto ice cream made with coconut cream?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 04:16:16 PM »
@CarbideAndIron: Thanks for the tips... I'll check out primal kitchen. It sounds very good. We have not yet had keto ice cream... sounds yummy. Been busy taking care of the father-in-law. He just went back home today.

Offline CarbideAndIron

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 07:59:16 AM »
@CarbideAndIron: Thanks for the tips... I'll check out primal kitchen. It sounds very good. We have not yet had keto ice cream... sounds yummy. Been busy taking care of the father-in-law. He just went back home today.

I hope he is doing okay. My wife's aunt is being hit hard by it. She's only like 60, and no one in the family seems to want to listen to me about ketogenic therapy for it, so I just left it be. I don't want to be the broken record.
Unfortunately, I have learned that we can't change others. Many close ones in my family have had big time health problems (or death) that are largely due to metabolic derangement.
Seems to all link back to insulin insensitivity. I don't think that healthy people have to live in a state of ketosis, but we do need to control our insulin levels by avoiding processed carbs, or juice and smoothie drinks that have like 80g of sugar in them. And I do think that going into ketosis at least a couple times a year is very therapeutic for the brain and body.

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 09:16:43 AM »
I did keto for a while in my 20s. I was a competitive powerlifter so I'm probably not going to offer much different than Carbide. I've tried a number of diets to improve power and being honest the laziest was the SOuth Beach and I probably liked that variation the best. The strictest, the Body Opus diet (no carbs M-F and all the carbs for an entire week over the weekend) is nutty and real hard to stick to living in the real world but it will get you jacked.

It's not for everyone. I totally abandoned keto when I took up boxing. Any sport like that (tennis, basketball, MMA, etc.) low carb can really impact performance.

Every time I have cycled onto keto it came with a 20 lb weight loss (other than Body Opus which made me gain muscle). I tend to agree that most people who do it consume way too much protein. It's a hard sell to get people to do a shot of olive oil but it would probably help most people following a low carb diet.

It's a complicated topic because I doubt any one diet is right for everyone. And I tend to agree with an old Rush Limbaugh joke that every diet works because any diet will make you think as you open the fridge.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 01:10:59 PM »
Keeping away from added sugars and sugary drinks in and of itself will help us no matter which exact diet. I have been on a diet too, but it is a balanced macro's type diet. I have been using my fitness pal to track diet since July. I have very low sugar and what I do get is from a little carrot or other vegetables or milk in my tea. I think the protein recommends I am on are too high for in general, but I think the idea is that protein is harder to digest, so can eat more calories with higher amount of protein, and also that it assures that the weight loss will not be muscle loss. When I hit goal weight I will cut back protein ( right now I am eating 25% of calories as protein which is 84g, which is alot, I think 15% or in the 60something grams would be more than fine, and alot more than I was eating for the past many years). I absolutely eat carbs, but not juice or sugar or fruit. Legumes daily and whole grains, mainly wheat, milk in my tea, less grains than pre-diet, but I am inactive and on a diet, so it makes sense. Fats are mostly from whole foods: dairy products (homemade cheese,etc...), limited nuts or seeds, eggs, extremely limited olive oil ( to cook eggs sometimes, not daily) or butter -- way reduced added fats from previous pre-diet, but increased whole foods fats, like the homemade cheese, so 52g fat a day of mainly milk fats (cheese,butter) and some nuts.
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 10:12:55 PM »
I agree... avoiding the sugars would be a great improvement for so many people.

@Carbide: I have also noticed that the people around are impressed to see our weight loss and interested in the benefits of the dietary changes we have made, but are completely uninterested in making those changes themselves. It seems just too hard to do, I guess... or else they don't feel bad enough (yet) to see a reason to make the change.

It is strange to me... when I first heard about it and read up on it, I thought it certainly seemed worthwhile to try it out. I wasn't sure it would work or make any difference, but seemed like a pretty harmless thing to do... I'm so surprised at how resistant to the idea other people are.

And, to follow up...

My father-in-law went back home, and arrangements have been made for my mother-in-law to have a lot more in-home health care for the future. Taking care of him was a huge task... like taking care of little kids (only harder because it was harder to get him to do what was needed -- without his cooperation, lots of simple tasks were quite difficult).