Author Topic: Secrets of the SAS  (Read 618 times)

Online David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
Secrets of the SAS
« on: November 09, 2017, 08:41:50 AM »
I'd throw a reco to Secrets of the SAS after watching the first two episodes. It's put out by the BBC and on Netflix. It's poorly named (not really secrets but stories) and the stock footage is a bit awful but I like the content. It really goes beyond boring storytelling into military mindset. The compelling stories the show actually chases down are the ones of having tea during a firefight or what goes through your mind when you're naked and shackled in an Iraqi police station with an AK-47 poking the back of your head.

The show really focuses on how so many SAS operators were basically juvenile delinquents who bettered their life after realizing through combat they are capable of overcoming all.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Secrets of the SAS
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 03:44:57 PM »
Just watched the first two and it's excellent.

I've watched a few other similar SAS shows over the years (can't remember the names) and so far this one strikes me as the best, probably due to the level of introspection coming through during the interviews.
23:57:30

Offline Andy in NH

• Senior Survivalist
  • Ex injuria jus non oritur
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 11:04:53 PM »
The show really focuses on how so many SAS operators were basically juvenile delinquents who bettered their life after realizing through combat they are capable of overcoming all.

A friend of mine who was involved with MARSOC selection told me that many of the successful candidates were slightly ADD/ADHD.
Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 10:33:13 PM »
We watched a few in the series, but began to find the stories a bit redundant... has anyone watched the entire series (does it get better?)?

Online David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 06:21:06 AM »
I'm only 5-6 in. To be honest, I likely wouldn't notice. Since I have many shows I follow I usually sit down and watch what I'm in the mood for. So I probably only watch once every couple weeks and don't notice if it's a little redundant.

Everything's on hold right now anyway because the Punisher is out and I have a thing for the Marvel series on Netflix. Full disclosure, I enjoy the superheroes but I really have a thing for Rosario Dawson.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 07:11:13 AM »
We got started with the Punisher, too. (Can't help thinking of the star as "Shane" -- haha).