Author Topic: 100 miles with an HT !!  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Antman

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
100 miles with an HT !!
« on: November 22, 2017, 03:33:55 PM »
Over the summer I made a SlimJim antenna that allowed me to reach out pretty far with the HT I have. I started to look at antennas for SOTA use. I ended up making a four element Yagi from a fishing rod and welding rods. The boom is a fiberglass fishing rod section, the elements are welding rods soldered together to get the proper length, and the coax connection is a couple of alligator clip on the driven element. I was on a hilltop last weekend and got two contacts into a repeater 103 miles away. It is on a mountaintop I know,  but 100 miles ! And I my first random simplex contact with it as well ! It will also allow me to save battery power by hitting the close repeaters on lower power settings, very happy with the build!
[/img]

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: 100 miles with an HT !!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 03:45:11 PM »
Nice and congrats!

It would work great for satellites too. 

Offline Antman

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 03:52:31 PM »
The entire thing collapses into the hollow rod and can be carried or strapped to your pack easily 😀😀 weight is about 6 ounces with the feedline.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »
  You should do well as your construction and method of 'shunt feeding' the driven element is beautifully simple. Good job AntMan,Karma...

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 10:16:04 PM »
When you say welding rods, do you mean stick electrodes? TIG and oxygen/acetylene filler rods are available in 36" lengths and various diameters. ER70S TIG filler is pretty cheap, the equivalent gas welding filler would be even cheaper.

Full construction details? It looks like that would put a lot of strain on the SMA connector.

Offline Antman

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 06:20:52 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving !

The rods are tig steel filler rods I believe, 36 inch long and 1/16 in diameter. I had a bunch around here. I soldered them together to get the correct length, with the joint also centering the elements in the hole through the rod. The driven elements are electrically insulated from each other by using a small section from the tip of the fishing rod, (its hollow), and securing them in it with epoxy.  This section also centers the element in relation to the others. The yagi is not attached to the HT so there is no strain,,, it is just the way in holding it in the photo that makes it appear like that. The feed line is a BNC RG58 with alligator clips for the connections. The feed line is coiled around the boom to eliminate the need for a ferite core, and the whole thing can be stored in the rod, as it is hollow.

Here is a link to the inspiration

http://www.iz2uuf.net/wp/index.php/2013/04/06/100g-yagi/