Author Topic: Casting and coating 45 ACP bullets  (Read 608 times)

Offline res45

• Prepper
Casting and coating 45 ACP bullets
« on: November 23, 2017, 07:13:20 AM »
Back during the late part of Summer I pickup up an new NOE 230 gr. 45 ACP mold http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=41_427&products_id=3281&osCsid=7nbut9anqqtplt7q8aaqcv3ri3  to cast bullets for my Hi Point 45 ACP carbine to go along with the Lee  200 gr. SWC I already had.  The mold will cast HP's ,Cup Points as well as FN bullets.  I chose the tumble lube design as I had full intentions of powder coating these bullets. 

So far I have cast the HP's and cup point bullets and they cast ,cycle an shoot as accurately as you can hold the gun.

As cast bullets.

Powder coated with OD Green.

Cup point bullets coated an ready to be placed on the baking tray.

Finished bullets ready to be loaded.

Test target shot at 30 yds.  Had to make a slight manual adjustment to hit point of aim as the Red Dot is set up for the Lee 200 gr. SWC bullets.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Casting and coating 45 ACP bullets
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 08:14:26 AM »
Sweet. Where do you buy your powder coating?

Online archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 09:27:36 AM »
wow, nice job...

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline res45

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 10:51:32 AM »
Sweet. Where do you buy your powder coating?

I get mine from Smoke over on the CastBoolit Forum.  You can get 1 lb. of any color he has in stock for $18 shipped or you can get 3 1/3rd/ lb. bags of 3 different colors for the same price.  A third of a lb. doesn't sound like much but I've coated a few thousand bullets and haven't made a dent in the bag, it goes a long way.  If you want other colors EastWood Powder Coat or Powder By the Pound is good as well.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?241259-Hi-quality-Powder-for-DT-or-Spraying-bullets

Some YouTubers I follow that have used some other colors for other companies.  It will give you some idea of what colors work best and the ones that don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb2zzAG0cJc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-JELVcNNCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehvOtKHQ204

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqD8CcnzBOA
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 11:09:14 AM by res45 »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 10:59:01 AM »
 :clap:  Looks like a winner to me.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 01:46:29 PM »
NOE makes good molds, I have several. I prefer Mihec's brass versions, but it's really just personal preference. One of these days I need to get back over to castboolits and get a few more molds ordered.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

Offline res45

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 06:15:54 PM »
NOE makes good molds, I have several. I prefer Mihec's brass versions, but it's really just personal preference. One of these days I need to get back over to Castboolits and get a few more molds ordered.

I did a couple of group buys but it can take a long time from inception to actually having the mold in hand so I just buy mine from the NOE website.  I have also purchased molds for Tom over at Accurate and plan on picking up one or two from Arsenal as well.  NOE has had specials running about every month on various calibers.

The Mihec's molds are very nice, I just haven't gotten around to picking one of those up.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 07:53:31 PM »
NOE makes good molds, I have several. I prefer Mihec's brass versions, but it's really just personal preference. One of these days I need to get back over to castboolits and get a few more molds ordered.

NOE has a standalone business so you don't have to wait for the style to go to a group buy.

I sort of like the Lee 200 swc style - I think I have one from Mihec or Noe - not sure which.  I don't have a pot, so the mold is just there for decorations.  Right next to the 100lbs of lead that caused the USPS to go what the heck is in these packages...
Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Offline res45

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 04:17:51 AM »
I sort of like the Lee 200 swc style - I think I have one from Mihec or Noe - not sure which.  I don't have a pot, so the mold is just there for decorations.  Right next to the 100lbs of lead that caused the USPS to go what the heck is in these packages..

I have the Lee 45 cal. 200 gr. SWC an it's been a great bullet all around in both 45 ACP handguns as well as my 45 carbine.  I've cast an coated a few thousand of these by now an haven't had a single malfunction in any firearm.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 03:25:53 PM »
NOE has a standalone business so you don't have to wait for the style to go to a group buy.

I sort of like the Lee 200 swc style - I think I have one from Mihec or Noe - not sure which.  I don't have a pot, so the mold is just there for decorations.  Right next to the 100lbs of lead that caused the USPS to go what the heck is in these packages...

Yeah, they had not had that open long when I first found castboolits. At that time, what I was usually interested in wasn't regularly available on their site.

I have Miha's 200gr(I think, might be slightly heavier) round nose/round hp/pentagonal hp .45 mold and really like it. I don't think I've ever cast anything other than the penta hp though.  ;D  All of mine get run through an old RCBS lube/size machine.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle