Author Topic: What knife are you carrying now?  (Read 902 times)

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
What knife are you carrying now?
« on: December 05, 2017, 07:34:02 PM »
Right now, for me, it's a light blue Opinel 7.  Slow to open, but with a sweet blade and a great locking system that won't slip shut.
"Government and laws need to match the culture they exist in."  -Endurance

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: What knife are you carrying now?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 07:43:41 PM »
Right now, sitting around in pajamas, a Gerber Paraframe:
http://www.gerbergear.com/Activity/EVERYDAY/Knives/Paraframe-I-knife_22-48446
Inexpensive, functional, and if it comes to, highly replaceable.

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 07:45:57 PM »
I have a Leatherman Squirt PS4 with its mighty 1½" blade. 8)

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 08:14:16 PM »
Depends. Right now...

Around the house Stanley 99E or the Milwaukee flip open box cutter.

Out and about Victorinox Outrider. No better combination has been made. It is the urban/suburban carry.

Something tactical? SOG Trident. Just works. A friend got me to try the CRKT M212-14SF and while I like it in use it's clunky and tarnishes easy.

Yardwork is a Mora II. I just don't care about it...
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 10:41:05 PM »
Old Timer
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 05:11:45 AM »
Mora , Gerber compact scout, Buck 110, Condor Rodan 6" , Cold steel bush knife,Zero Tolerance folder, SCHF9 Schrade....and a few other knives of various utility.SOG,Magnum Bush knife,Ontario RAT,Gerber EAB,BACHO carpenter....I have more that I forget the names...but most often the Gerber Compact Scout...a tiny pocket folder.

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Grylls-Compact-Scout-31-000760/dp/B004HYHKH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512562277&sr=8-1&keywords=gerber+compact+scout+knife
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline Freespool

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 07:21:57 AM »
Right pocket is a SOG Escape folding knife (not that happy with it but works) Left pocket is the Gerber EAB lite utility knife (Jack recommended and got cheap on Tspaz)

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 08:03:26 AM »
In order of frequency:  Victorinox Compact, Doug Ritter Griptillian, Victorinox Outlander, Buck Vantage Pro Sm & Lg, Gerber EAB, Kershaw Blur.

The State building I'm at 2-3 days per week has a no weapons policy, so for the last two years I've been using the Compact Swiss Army (Outlander is too big for some pants) in the hope that it won't raise too many red flags if I have to empty my pockets for whatever reason.  I had been carrying the Vantages for about 5 years on a daily basis, but decided not to push my luck, especially after the increased security that came with the San Bernardino shooting.  The Griptillian has been carried on nightly dog walking duty for a dozen years now, I've got gate keys and remotes on its lanyard so nothing gets misplaced or forgotten when rounding up the dogs.
23:57:30

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 08:26:41 AM »
Leatherman Blast for work. I use at least one of the tools once a week at work and is a great help.

When I'm not at work I have a basic Swiss Army Knife for a trimmed down but similar multi tool.

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 08:40:54 AM »
Boker 117474 Rosewood Stockman - I always like the simple multi-blade pattern as an EDC. I use the long blade for food (I hate plastic knives), the sheepsfoot as a utility blade (tapped boxes, etc), and the spey as a spare sharp blade.
I have other blades that I use for camping (Gerber LMF II) and around the homestead (random cheapos, slowly getting replaced by mora-type as the others break).
I used to EDC a Leatherman Charge TTi and CRKT M16, both awesome, but stopped since I no longer do community theater and front line technical support.
Zombie Squad - We make dead things deader.

"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 10:06:02 AM »
Gerber EAB lite (in a zippo belt holder)
Classic SAK
Leatherman Blast

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 10:27:28 AM »
Leatherman juice S2 nothing fancy but practical. With a 2 1/4 inch blade..gotcha beat by 3/4 of an inch Mr Bill  ::)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:40:18 AM by chad »

Offline kid_couteau

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 10:56:32 AM »
When working I do not carry a knife at all. It is against policy.
However there is usually a Swiss Army labeled tool close at hand.

Off duty usually a Buck 110 and a Swiss Army knife

Kid

Offline atherts

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP and Guinness Supporter
    • Karott Productions
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 11:12:04 AM »
The red Kershaw Blur is my usual daily carry. I bought it at their seconds sale so I work it pretty hard without being afraid of damage.
--------------------------

Scott

"Chance favors the prepared mind."  Louis Pasteur
TSP Members Support Brigade

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 11:23:39 AM »
Sometime this Monday I lost my Kershaw Leek 1660.  Miss that little knife.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 11:32:47 AM »
I really like both the Blur and the Leek. I’d carry them more if the clips positioned the knife lower in the pocket so the end didn’t show so much.
23:57:30

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 11:37:54 AM »
I really like both the Blur and the Leek. I’d carry them more if the clips positioned the knife lower in the pocket so the end didn’t show so much.

Some co-workers used to object, but the trick is to offer to cut open their incoming packages and they soften up to the idea.

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 02:47:14 PM »
There's an avalanche I carried forever laying somewhere around here. I love their knives but for some reason that clip will catch on anything. Ah, memory is serving. It's in the range bag. I can grip the G10 handle if I'm a little oily.

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 07:34:17 PM »
Today I'm carrying the Buck 110 Hunter non finger grooved.
"Government and laws need to match the culture they exist in."  -Endurance

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 08:17:19 PM »
I do have a few of the "juice" style knifes...find them quite handy. 

Around the house I will carry a super knife II; which is one of the best box cutters I have owned.  A more refind Kershaw  3" blade sone washed with assist seems to be my fav real knife.  It sort of looks too thin to feel good in the hand; but it is wonderful.  I picked it up as a tool bag knife, but now by go to around the house.

Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 05:03:01 AM »
My EDC (wearing jeans, not at work) is a Swiss Army Camper, Leatherman Micra and a Kershaw Hype. If I am hiking or working outdoors the Kershaw is replaced  with a Benchmade Barrage.  If I am wearing slacks I might replace the Kershaw Hype with a Kershaw Leek.

I really like the assisted opening models for a main knife.  So dang handy when I am working on things and need a quick blade opened surely.  The barrage especially slams the blade open.  I am not too keen on the liner lock of the Kershaws for heavy duty work.  For everyday stuff it seems adequate.  But for heavier work or out away form civilization and my life might depend on a knife for working in survival situation and not cut my fingers, then I like the Axis lock of the Benchmade.  The assisted Axis lock and the automatic Benchmade (a friend was issued one when deployed) are very fast and lock up solid.

I really like the thin blade of the SAK knives in general for finer work.  And after trying a few models I've decided the Camper is the ideal for me: medium size like the Tinker but has the wood/bone saw usually found on the larger knives like the Hunter.  Also has a corkscrew which is actually one of the more frequent "does anyone have a ______ handy?" tools, especially at family outings.  I like that Victorinox came out with larger models and locking blades and even the Spyderco style thumbhole opening.  But in practice I would rather have a dedicated blade assisted opening knife, along with a medium size SAK, rather than one large SAK. I use the main blade for cutting food stuff (great for an apple, carrots, or cheese), the bottle opener, toothpick, and occasionally the can opener.  The wood saw is a just-in-case tool for firemaking if stranded. Or field amputation!!!

The Micra I usually just use the nail file.  Doing manual work tears up my nails and being able to file them down a bit when out and about is the best prevention to tearing them, or minimizing the damage already done.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 05:33:59 AM »
Whenever I travel abroad I bring a SAK Camper. I've been to Europe several times and the most used items are the corkscrew, bottle opener, tweezers, and bread knife (saw). Ironically the "Camper" is ideal for eating on the go in an urban environment.