Author Topic: I Bought a Vitamix Blender  (Read 517 times)

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
I Bought a Vitamix Blender
« on: December 07, 2017, 05:44:59 PM »
I've wanted one for about a decade and Cyber Monday I got a Vitamix 5200.

If you are a Vitamix or Blendtec fanboy, I don't care. I'm sure both are equally great. I just got a deal I couldn't pass up. Now that we're done with that...

Holy crap. Buy a fancy blender. Don't think. Do it now. I regret not having one. I made my daughter a smoothie of apple, pineapple, and spinach and she told me it was "better than chocolate milk". That's whole fresh fruit and a good serving of spinach to a 2 year old. Yesterday we made apple, orange, spinach, cucumber, and parsley smoothies. Again, success.

Let's be clear about one thing. This isn't juicing. I peel oranges but I don't peel apples. The fruit goes in whole, fiber and all. This contraption would liquify my arm if I put it in.

Think that's weird? Today I tossed in a can of chicken stock, a few tomatoes, some powdered garlic, fennel, oregano, and some heavy cream and blended on high for 5 minutes and we had cream of tomato soup. That's right, it spins so fast it heats soup by the friction of the blades. Traditional cream of tomato takes hours with the blanching skins and straining seeds. I didn't do either but they somehow vanished.

I can't wait for summer. The recipe guide says to add a lime, lemon, and orange (all peeled) with tequila and Grand Marnier and 6 cups of ice for a frozen margarita. Yes, it will eviscerate ice. You can make ice cream in it. And by the by, that's a pretty healthy sounding margarita. Better than the corn syrup mixes I've been avoiding for years.

For the mechanical types, its a roughly 2 HP motor. In a blender.

I put this in the recipe board because you don't know what recipes are possible yet. In the next few days I'm going to work on a frozen green tea blackberry drink for my wife. She would spend upward of $5 for one! and I will work in my beloved ginger limeade (maybe not until summer).

Best part for last... It cleans itself. My juicer is a P in the B to use, take apart, wash, reassemble. This beast you rinse, fill with warm water and add a drop of detergent, and burn on high for 30 seconds. Done.

For those in the cheap seats, I just told you I can go from raw ingredients to cream of tomato soup in 8 minutes (including prep) and clean up in under a minute.

I have a Kitchenaid 6 quart professional, Cuisinart Pro Custom 11, a soda siphon, a nitrous charge, a sous vide setup. I don't mess around. The blender is #2 only behind the Kitchenaid. I wish I had it to make baby food.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: I Bought a Vitamix Blender
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 05:57:38 PM »
I have had one for years, right now it is a little "tired", possibly because I need to get another bearing for the wet container and am doing everything int he dry container. 

I always found the soups too "airy" but maybe I just made the wrong ones. The frozen fruit "icecream" is great for kids, 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup sugar ( I think) some vanilla, 1 pound frozen strawberries or peaches --- healthy soft serve ice cream. I used to use the dry container to make flour before I got a flour mill, or to crack rice for cream of rice cereal. When I was vegan I made nut milks, as it does make everything grind very well. Home made mayonaise is a staple in it.
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 06:03:09 PM »
I have, when tired of canning a glut of tomatoes, just thrown cherry tomatoes, regular tomatoes, whatever, processed in the vitamix, into a pot to heat on stove ( which also takes out the "airyness" from the high speed blending, so it can can) put into jars and canned. This saves alot of time from dicing for tomatoes you are just going to throw into a winter soup
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:21:45 PM by mountainmoma »
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 06:16:32 PM »
I actually like the "airy" type soup. In traditional cooking that takes an immersion blender and some chemical stabilizer. It makes me want to use seafood stock to make a seafood foam in the blender. Seafood foam over crusty potatoes is my kind of 'surf and turf'.

I get that it's not a perfect replica of the traditional. But the options...

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 06:51:53 AM »
my favorite from the book was an orange smoothie - cranberry juice, orange, carrot, celery (I ended up using dehydrated because the fresh goes bad too quickly in my house!) and a banana.  And some ice.

I was also not a fan of the soups.  But I have 7 people to feed. 
I also almost never used the dry canister.

you will love this blender David. 
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 10:28:31 AM »
My wife got one a couple years back.  It's recently under utilized, though I did make a yogurt+berry blend for the kids this morning.

Also, on black friday I got a 50% deal on the Dry Blade Blending Container.  In theory this will turn nuts, seeds and grain into powder.
I've yet to use it, but I see some interesting uses.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 10:43:27 AM »
Quite the pitch you have. Looks like you could have a fallback career in Vitamix sales  ;)

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 10:49:19 AM »
Mine gets daily use now. My wife loves the green smoothies as much as the girl. I even got my wife to back down a little from her "$300 for a blender? Are you nuts?" initial POV.

Quite the pitch you have. Looks like you could have a fallback career in Vitamix sales  ;)

I like having good kitchen tools. I'm very hard on my stuff because I cook like a professional chef. I could write a book about what to do and not do. I detest working in other people's kitchens. On what cooking show does the expert cook on a garbage non-stick pan with a spatula so angled it's unusable?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 02:21:14 PM »
Mine gets daily use now. My wife loves the green smoothies as much as the girl. I even got my wife to back down a little from her "$300 for a blender? Are you nuts?" initial POV.

I like having good kitchen tools. I'm very hard on my stuff because I cook like a professional chef. I could write a book about what to do and not do. I detest working in other people's kitchens. On what cooking show does the expert cook on a garbage non-stick pan with a spatula so angled it's unusable?

Can you recommend a good spatula?  I primarily cook with vintage cast iron on a gas range. 

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 10:33:00 PM »
Can you recommend a good spatula?  I primarily cook with vintage cast iron on a gas range. 

The brand is Dexter Russel. You are making a mistake if not using it.

https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell-Pancake-Turner-Stainless-Walnut/dp/B002CJNBTO/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1512797220&sr=1-2&keywords=dexter+russell+spatula

The other goldie is the French Matfer..

https://www.amazon.com/Matfer-Bourgeat-Exoglass-Pelton-Spatula/dp/B00004SZ6Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1512797307&sr=1-1&keywords=matfer+bourgeat+pelton+spatula

Have one of these around, they do a lot of odd uses.

Oh crap, I can see I have to do a kitchen tool thread.