Author Topic: Anyone ever build a 2 meter yagi  (Read 3255 times)

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Anyone ever build a 2 meter yagi
« on: December 23, 2017, 04:06:45 PM »
Hi all
Just researching ideas.
Kid

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Anyone ever build a 2 meter yagi
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 05:17:36 AM »
  I have repurposed old TV antennas,built tape measure beams,QUAGI (quad driver and reflector with yagi directors) ,and yagis from welding rods to bicycle spokes to solid copper wire and even quad antennas ...here are a few plans and articles to get ideas from: Read or download all you want:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5ZIZLZV4AwIeFVDSU1Rd2h2akU

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 11:15:46 PM »
I have built them for both 2m and 440.

Here are some plans.

http://www.repeater-builder.com/antenna/pdf/cheap-yagis.pdf

Good luck and send pictures.

One thing you have to decide is what material for your boom.  My antennas are for mountaintopping and are stored indoors 99% of the time. I used a 1x3 wood stud.  Not good for long term outdoor use.  Some use PVC.  If you use a metal boom you need to use insulators for your elements so they are not electrically connected to each other.

Jerseyboy

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 11:46:55 AM »
I built the tape measure type a few mo ago.  I have a 1 ele Cushcraft I need to put back up. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 01:04:52 PM »
I built the tape measure type a few mo ago.  I have a 1 ele Cushcraft I need to put back up.

WOW ,you have the famous 1 element Cushcraft beam?? With the propagation powder it was a great performer in past years. :)

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 07:42:39 AM »
well, I guess that'd be an OMNI, meant to type 11 (eleven) ele, not sure where the other 1 went  ;)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 08:56:14 AM »
well, I guess that'd be an OMNI, meant to type 11 (eleven) ele, not sure where the other 1 went  ;)

I have successfully worked Europe with my 13B2 and the 11 element Cushcraft should be also capable as you have good angle  when moon is near the horizon. Have fun.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 12:29:55 PM »

Lost in the QRM? 

I have plans here for one called the Tiny 2, and the Tiny 2+1...  really simple and did decent.  Not sure where the actual antenna is any longer...

Offline Antman

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 11:08:48 AM »
this is my post just down the page,,,,, Yagi's have really helped reach out with my HT ,,, most recent was a 58 miles simplex contact !

Over the summer I made a SlimJim antenna that allowed me to reach out pretty far with the HT I have. I started to look at antennas for SOTA use. I ended up making a four element Yagi from a fishing rod and welding rods. The boom is a fiberglass fishing rod section, the elements are welding rods soldered together to get the proper length, and the coax connection is a couple of alligator clip on the driven element. I was on a hilltop last weekend and got two contacts into a repeater 103 miles away. It is on a mountaintop I know,  but 100 miles ! And I my first random simplex contact with it as well ! It will also allow me to save battery power by hitting the close repeaters on lower power settings, very happy with the build!
[/img]

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 02:15:21 PM »
I have gone as far as building a temporary assembly of the IZ2UUF's design

https://survivalcomms.wordpress.com/2016/05/17/prototype-build-backpackable-foldable-yagi-antenna/

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Support Brigade member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 11:50:55 PM »

I tried the 2m tape measure yagi and failed.  It sort'a works but my Diamond whip omni directional works better (in all directions...)  :-\

I have resigned myself to be a HAM consumer and not so much a DYI person. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 03:34:54 AM »
I tried the 2m tape measure yagi and failed.  It sort'a works but my Diamond whip omni directional works better (in all directions...)  :-\

I have resigned myself to be a HAM consumer and not so much a DYI person.

The VHF/UHF antennas can be tough and hardware is hard to find. It is often easier to purchase these as measurements can be critical for operation and longevity of the radio. The best I have found is the BIG STICK antenna  measurement of the short side must be within 1/16 inch and length of 'divided' coax needs to be as short as possible ...but it is easy to make and a good high gain (about 5.2 DB) antenna that works for BOTH VHF and UHF bands.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=49762.msg656992#msg656992