Author Topic: I need to put together a bug out bag for my wife  (Read 3686 times)

Offline onesojourner

• Survivor
    • My Blog
I need to put together a bug out bag for my wife
« on: April 09, 2018, 03:35:10 PM »
My wife just got a job the will require travel. She will be driving for the most part, but there will be some flying involved. She may end up as far as about 5 hours from home and she will be making over night trips on a fairly regular basis.

I plan to use her old (read heavy, sturdy, tested) backpack. It is enormous but I would like to keep the base weight at around 15-20 pounds. I would like this to go in the trunk and never come out unless it is needed. The insulation will be fine for her down to about 25 degrees. For food I want to have at least 5 days worth (100 miles) but 10 would be better. I need some pointers on food that will still be edible after several seasons of heat and cold cycles.

For the most part I plan to use some of our older and heavier gear:

Hammock
Tarp
Closed cell Pad
Old sleeping bag (stored separately in the trunk and allowed to loft)
MSI ceramic filter (possibly replacing with a sawyer mini placed in line)
Camel back
Smart water bottle
Alcohol stove / stand
Alcohol
Mini Bic lighter (x2)
1 pair socks
fleece
hiking pants
Synthetic top layer
Sewing kit
AL pot

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: I need to put together a bug out bag for my wife
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 04:49:13 PM »
There's a post around here about food for in a car.  But you won't get several years out of food kept in the hostile conditions of a car.  You will need to rotate it out every so often.  Why not put it into something like google calendar and swap the food out every time the clocks change?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 05:56:07 PM »
  Unless she drives across the Alaskan tundra,few places exist that will require more than a couple days food (you don't have to eat three meals a day or even every day) and walking away from an auto makes little sense these days..Sleep and insulated gear does make good sense as does a pot and maybe a water filter and a liter or two of water. Don't make her , or you, a slave to a burden that will cost way more energy to carry than it has value. Why would she leave her auto??? Few places are left un-traveled for days at a time that one would go,or have a road to travel anyway. A box or two of kiddies cereal will keep you alive for many many days and just rotate out to house stock every month or so...keep things simple ,keep alive.

Just my old man's opinion.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 06:09:29 AM »
i will suggest splitting the kit in two parts.
the second being a carry on (airfare) kit, with amenities like powerbank, flashlight, sewing kit etc.
when she's off the airport theit will be placed inside the backpack

Offline Billie D

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 08:42:21 AM »
Don't forget to add in some time of first aid supplies.  If your worry is her being in the car, and something has happened, throwing together a med kit (vs. buying one that will basically just be bandaids) could literally be a life saver.

Offline onesojourner

• Survivor
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 08:52:27 AM »
  Unless she drives across the Alaskan tundra,few places exist that will require more than a couple days food (you don't have to eat three meals a day or even every day)
Having been on backpacking trips that did not include enough calories I can tell you skipping meals and increasing exertion is a recipe for disaster. 10 days of food would only be needed in a full out breakdown situation. With JIT inventory betting on coming across food after 3 days is very unlikely.

Why would she leave her auto??
Nationwide or localized highway lock down?
EMP?
Solar Flare?
Obviously these are not likely but I think we can agree they are possible.

Offline onesojourner

• Survivor
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 08:53:14 AM »
Don't forget to add in some time of first aid supplies.  If your worry is her being in the car, and something has happened, throwing together a med kit (vs. buying one that will basically just be bandaids) could literally be a life saver.

Good call. That totally slipped my mind.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 09:37:57 AM »
Having been on backpacking trips that did not include enough calories I can tell you skipping meals and increasing exertion is a recipe for disaster. 10 days of food would only be needed in a full out breakdown situation. With JIT inventory betting on coming across food after 3 days is very unlikely.
Nationwide or localized highway lock down?
EMP?
Solar Flare?
Obviously these are not likely but I think we can agree they are possible.

As you include the end of the civilized world in your criteria,I understand the inclusion of supplies that I simply would not carry. Total preparedness requires a LOT of supply.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 10:54:12 AM »
I've taken to keeping a box of Cliff Bars in my vehicle.  Multiple purpose:

1) emergency snack
2) emergency food
3) fodder for pan handlers

#3 I regularly drive around urban areas.  If I'm stopped at an off ramp or intersection with a beggar, I'll offer them a cliff bar.  If they take it, I helped them in a small way and they can't directly abuse the charity I gave them.  A few rare times my offer has been rejected, in which case I wouldn't want to have given cash to such people.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 11:55:33 AM »
As you include the end of the civilized world in your criteria,I understand the inclusion of supplies that I simply would not carry. Total preparedness requires a LOT of supply.

Do think about what she can carry. With this in mind, maybe a seperate bag with extra food/warmth that stays in the car, or if absolutely needed can be strapped to the pack.

Why I say this is, for myself, a petite woman, my get home bag is extremely light. I do not keep much food, although there is also a marine 3-day ration bar in the glove box I can throw in the pack if needed, what is in the pack is not alot, a couple MRE's, some tea and sugar. Sometimes I also have a few food bars around the front seat of the car, in case I get caught out in town and get hungry.

So, for me, my pack is for either being stuck in the car for overnight or longer ( tree down, storm has gridlocked freeways and you are stuck, etc....), am needing to be in a shelter and they dont have food yet ( impossible to get home, even by walking)   and these scenarios could use the other bag of extra food, extra blanket in the trunk etc.... If I am out of the car and carrying a pack, I need to move quick. I need to not get bogged down with weight. I am basically planning on the type of walk with the pack that I think I can finish that day, or the next, max. So, mostly have things there in case I get hurt on that walk and need to stay put. We are talking under 5 lb pack, before added water. This may be more important as a woman, I do not want to be out walking, alone, very long after an emergency. Or, a storm or earthquake has destroyed the roads and I only have 1-12 miles to go without the car to get home. People are more helpful in the storm/earthquake scenario.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=51434.30   my thread on making get home bags. If you go to page 2, and scroll down, there are a few pictures on just how lightweight my pack is. Although, at the moment, there are other things in the car I could throw in if I wasnt walking
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 12:03:15 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 02:07:00 PM »
Food,Water,meds...all have very short viable life when vehicle stored due to extremes in temp and stability of temps is most often required for such things...even rubber gloves are often worthless after just DAYS in the summer heat of a vehicle.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 03:10:34 PM »
Greetings,

Let me throw some wrenches at the monkeys.

First off,  there are food options for car kits.  It won't necessarily be a culinary delight and _can_ be expensive, but it works. 

MRE's wet pack components are right out for vehicle kits.  The heat will affect them negatively.  However, many of the snacks or dehydrated components will last, even in the heat of a vehicle.  Make sure to check ALL of your meal items every six months, or so, to make sure they haven't been compromised.

One option is to use freeze-dried meals such as those from Mountain House.  I have had great luck with both the standard "ProPaks" as well as the milspec Cold Weather packs (on their website as MCW's).    We use the MCW's primarily for the more durable packaging.  The ProPacks work quite well and will save you $3 or $4 per meal and will have about 100 fewer calories (520 kcals vs 620).   Three or four per day will give you 2080 (Pro Pak) to 2480 calories.

Now, we also augment these with 1-qt nalgene containers filled with parboiled instant white rice, Idaho REAL Mashed Potatoes (exact brand, needs only hot water to mix), Mexicali Rose Refried Beans, pasta (star, pastina, or any non-"tube" or oddly-shaped pasta so you don't waste any space), or instant barley.  There are other choices, if you're creative.  Again, all of these need only hot/boiling water to rehydrate.

Now, this means that you will have to have a method of boiling water.  So, you'll have to add in a small debris-type stove or something that uses hexamine/trioxane.  Include some of the various bouillion (chicken, beef or vegetable) and you can add flavor into this.

When you pack them into the nalgene containers (another option is to vacuum seal them into resealable Mylar bags), make sure to include a number of oxygen absorbers and seal the mouth completely.

Add in some hard candies and/or some MRE-style side items which can be found on Ebay or with some of the current sellers of components and you'll have some extra calories for quick energy.

Likewise, you can use Weight Gainer Powder in the big tubs.  Simply measure them out into the aforementioned mylar pouches.  Get one of the "shakey" cups used by weightlifters with a spring ball inside and you can make quick "meal" in a few seconds. Another option along this line is find some of the MRE Shakes that are already packaged in a mylar pouch.  Add water and, Voila!

All of these will do well in a car kit.  They're not perfect and I would HIGHLY recommend that you practice making them and familiarizing yourself with the results.  But they do give you some options.

Just some suggestions, hope they help.

The Professor

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 06:18:28 PM »
Great option Professor!

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 07:25:27 PM »
Big hole: Cash. Enough cash to minimally get a room and rent a car.

Spare electronics chargers.

Playing cards (the #1 used thing in my BOB).

I'll imagine more.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 12:16:34 PM »
Depends on where you live/work.  Remote deserts and frozen tundras are a bit different than a 5 hour suburbia drive from DC to Boston.  But I tend to fall on Carl's path as covering 99% of all likely issues related to anything within a 5 hour drive of my house.  Very few things a cellphone, a few bucks, and a few hours won't cover.  If not, I bet there's a house with nice people within an hour walk who'll let her crash on the couch until the cavalry comes.

simple tool kit
fix-a-flat
jumper cables
extra oil

A few fleece blankets
first aid kit
some granola bars - which constantly get eaten
a few bottles of water
an old fashioned book map of the area in the car
a deck of cards (what David said)
extra socks/shoes

If your list is getting too cumbersome for her to carry/pack, maybe consider some type of dolly/wagon to pull it (ala The Road).  The majority of road ways would still be 90+% intact, at least within the first 10 days of whatever event you're planning for.  Plus, the best way to prevent getting lost is to stay found (i.e. stay near the places/roads you know).

Does Amazon deliver to long/lat coordinates yet?

Online Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 03:21:08 PM »
Don't forget feminine sanitary products, as needed. If she's on the way home, she may be out or run out of whatever she had in her suitcase.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 08:47:07 AM »
With her traveling regularly, she'll also have her suitcase with her. I travel enough that I find I keep many useful things in the suitcase I use all the time. This might be a possible solution to many needs... if she does end up needing to walk and carry the pack, she could choose anything she carries in the suitcase to add to the pack as needed and would preclude having to keep everything stored in the hot car all the time.

This would include any toiletry items needed, plus typically a small sewing kit, changes of clothes, etc. Any snack items such as clif bars or tea bags or instant coffee pouches would be regularly rotated out and would also not be subject to the heat of living in the car... just a thought.

Offline John Doe

• Survivor
  • Central Virginian Prepper
    • My personal prepper blog
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 02:25:26 PM »
Great thread. I've asked my wife to make a go bag for her car. She travels often, up to 6 hours away, 2, 3 or 4 nights at a time.

I think I'll just make her one & stash it in the trunks spare tire area.
I've found, over the years, that in & around the spare tire is often a nice dry hidden area for stuff like this =)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 03:42:37 PM »
  Credit card
  Cash
  Curling iron
  Card for AAA

HER bag is complete ,the rest YOU must carry. ;D

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2018, 11:42:01 AM »
ha! you need a -1 for that one, Carl.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 09:53:17 AM »
I kind of agree.  If my house burns down, why would I pitch a tent if I have a wad of cash or credit card? 
There are of course serious scenarios where true self-reliance is the only course, but money can solve quite a few problems.
The challenge of course is being disciplined enough to save.

Offline John Doe

• Survivor
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2018, 11:52:22 AM »
Whose house burnt down?
That's a different type of situation, which if one wanted to be literal I guess you could call it a survival situation..
In OP's situation & my wife's as well, it's about traveling on the road & being prepared- without having to go shopping for necessities.
My wife travels between Va & West Va alot. We're talking the boonies where cell phone reception is spotty & stores are few & faaar between.
Besides, with her job, after seeing several clients along a few hundred miles the last thing she wants to do is have a cup of tea; not shop for a cup, tea & sugar to make her marathon day an even longer one.
That's why I'm packing her a bag with a toothbrush, water, spare socks/undies, blanket, tea, cup sugar, FAK, knife, lighter, para cord, spare clothes, road flares, fuses, phone charger/battery,
non-perishable food, baby wipes, lady necessities, cash, change & bball bat.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 12:50:38 PM »
  An EDC bag does make for a good idea..I more thought you were after a great escape bag...daily use makes a lot more sense now. A POSSIBLES BAG.

Offline John Doe

• Survivor
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 01:04:50 PM »
  An EDC bag does make for a good idea..I more thought you were after a great escape bag...daily use makes a lot more sense now. A POSSIBLES BAG.
It's hard, though, because she has so much work junk in her explorer.
I'll have to bury it in there somewhere, lol.
It's critical, though, because sometimes she leaves in the morning without knowing she won't be coming home for days.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 01:10:21 PM »
It's hard, though, because she has so much work junk in her explorer.
I'll have to bury it in there somewhere, lol.
It's critical, though, because sometimes she leaves in the morning without knowing she won't be coming home for days.

That can be tough to supply all of her needs, I'd start with more than one spare pair of underwear though....

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 02:50:32 PM »
Whose house burnt down?
That's a different type of situation, which if one wanted to be literal I guess you could call it a survival situation..
In OP's situation & my wife's as well, it's about traveling on the road & being prepared- without having to go shopping for necessities.
My wife travels between Va & West Va alot. We're talking the boonies where cell phone reception is spotty & stores are few & faaar between.
Besides, with her job, after seeing several clients along a few hundred miles the last thing she wants to do is have a cup of tea; not shop for a cup, tea & sugar to make her marathon day an even longer one.
That's why I'm packing her a bag with a toothbrush, water, spare socks/undies, blanket, tea, cup sugar, FAK, knife, lighter, para cord, spare clothes, road flares, fuses, phone charger/battery,
non-perishable food, baby wipes, lady necessities, cash, change & bball bat.

sounds like you've sorted this out.

geography means a lot.  Last time I rented a small sailboat, there wasn't a VHF marine radio on board.  I got a little worry and asked the harbor master. He said just call 911 and ask for the USCG.  At first I thought this was a joke, then I realized I was at sea level surrounded by land on 3 sides with cell towers 800-1500 feet above me. Not many locations have these attributes, but it was a fair point about using the phone instead of marine radio in Puget Sound