Author Topic: maybe there's some to OP-SEC?  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
maybe there's some to OP-SEC?
« on: April 19, 2018, 03:29:18 PM »
To protect the privacy of others, I'll omit some details.

A local person who's professionally involved in state, local and federal emergency management just sent this post to a neighborhood watch forum.
Again, this person held management roles at agencies you've all heard of, so not just "some dude".

Someone burglarized our utility shed last night and stole our Honda EU 3000 generator. It had a wheel kit as well. If anyone noticed somebody pushing a generator down the street last night, please let me know. We're keeping our eye on pawn shops, Craigslist, and other places people like to sell stolen property. It was also reported to police. I have reported this information to the police.

I have met this person a few times and had some casual conversations about emergency preparations.  While I'd never visited the property, I had heard about the "prep shed" and details of some of the goodies within. At the time this was shared, I was known as a vetted city volunteer (background check, etc.) so I was not a completely random person - however I am willing to bet loose lips were involved here.  Maybe a relative of a "trusted" volunteer overheard something. Many of us have some friends or family struggling with substance abuse and other problems. If desperation grew enough, it's hard to know what's possible.

Anyhow, while I'm not the paranoid type, not everyone you meet needs to know what gear you own, where you store it or how prepared you are for that big earthquake some day.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: maybe there's some to OP-SEC?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 05:06:34 PM »
This is even more important when using a radio to not give such details.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 05:22:06 PM »
This makes sense.  The usual standard is "cleared to know" AND "need to know."  Sounds like the gent in question routinely neglected the second part.

This is even more important when using a radio to not give such details.
True.  You never know who's listening.  Nothing wrong about saying "let's take this over to a phone conversation."  I've had and heard this happen many times.  Usually it was more about medical or personal conditions, but there are a lot of other things not fit for the airwaves.  "Hey, I'm going out of town for a week, can you watch my place?" for example.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 01:07:41 AM »
This makes sense.  The usual standard is "cleared to know" AND "need to know."  Sounds like the gent in question routinely neglected the second part.
True.  You never know who's listening.  Nothing wrong about saying "let's take this over to a phone conversation."  I've had and heard this happen many times.  Usually it was more about medical or personal conditions, but there are a lot of other things not fit for the airwaves.  "Hey, I'm going out of town for a week, can you watch my place?" for example.

Don't forget....the key is under the potted plant.(or on the dogs collar as I do.)