Author Topic: Want to Listen to Police Scanners? Cops Say No More  (Read 192 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Want to Listen to Police Scanners? Cops Say No More
« on: May 17, 2018, 10:19:40 AM »
The article is a bit alarmist, but the nanny-state tone irritates me.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/want-to-listen-to-police-scanners-cops-say-no-more-1526558400

There was one hopeful portion of the article:

Some police departments have found a solution by using encrypted channels for more sensitive work, such as a SWAT team readying for a raid, while keeping the more mundane police patrol work on the publicly available channel, he said.

Most scanner enthusiasts understand the difference between dispatch and tactical communications.  Dispatching units to incidents is quite a different use case compared to a tactical no-knock raid.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Want to Listen to Police Scanners? Cops Say No More
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 10:43:10 AM »
Seems overblown.  I am sure some criminals do monitor scanner apps.  But how many and what kind of effects are they getting from doing it? A lot more citizens do.

As to why people are using Scanner Apps in Colorado, I will tell you why as a person who became a Ham there.  Because so many dang agencies went to P25 and inexpensive analog scanners became worthless.  The TTP doubtlessly spread from radio buffs to criminals.

A compromise, loathe as I am to suggest it, might be for P25 using cities to make streaming from a scanner to the internet against some county ordinance.  That protects the person using an actual radio receiver, they can still listen in. However, not every swinging Richard can tune in with an app now.  You gotta be in it to win it and use a real scanner.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: Want to Listen to Police Scanners? Cops Say No More
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:15:08 AM »
A compromise, loathe as I am to suggest it, might be for P25 using cities to make streaming from a scanner to the internet against some county ordinance.  That protects the person using an actual radio receiver, they can still listen in. However, not every swinging Richard can tune in with an app now.  You gotta be in it to win it and use a real scanner.

Good point.  Increase the barrier to entry.  Drones are like that.  RC aircraft have been around my whole life.  But in the early days they were expensive, and complex to operate (well).  So very few people participated in that hobby.  Now that a 13 year old with an amazon.com gift card can launch a drone over my property and stream live 1080p video to an iPad in minutes.

3D printing is another area where the barrier to entry is too low for some regulators.