Author Topic: Kimchi Makers  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
Kimchi Makers
« on: July 14, 2018, 02:52:55 AM »
What sort of container do you ferment your kimchi in? I'm currently looking at this as my previous methods have been not so good. In 1 or 2 gallon size, not sure I'd use it for anything else.

http://crazykoreancooking.com/products/kimchi-fermenter

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
Re: Kimchi Makers
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 07:55:41 AM »
I use a 1/2 gallon canning jar with an air lock on top.  It makes a lot of kimchi...  I’ve been very satisfied with the results but only have 2 years experience.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 08:25:53 AM »
I'll take a look at that. Wife and I both like kimchi. Just bought a half gallon jar yesterday, it's half gone today. That's why I'm thinking 1 or 2 gallon size.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 12:24:21 PM »
I have a 1 gallon ceramic crock that I use with a ceramic follower and lid. I just pulled a batch of kimchi out a couple of days ago, it turned out great (also made pickles and pickled carrots in it so far this year).

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 04:54:37 PM »
Q, do you have a link to that?

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 06:22:23 PM »
I got mine locally, here it is on amazon, though the shipping isn't cheap. You also have to buy the follower and lid separately, I think for everything I paid maybe $50-60 total?

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 02:02:44 AM »
Thanks Q.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 09:37:17 PM »
I've seen the crocks in a large chain store, I think it was Target, but couldn't swear to it.  It was a "sauerkraut kit"  I have no idea the quality.

I've also seen them at kitchen stores like Kitchen & Co.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 08:26:08 AM »
Just goofing around I found a complete set from ACE hardware for $55, with free in-store pickup (note this is for the 1 gallon size): http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=90117546

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 08:40:13 AM »
Cool. There is a Ace Hardware about a mile from me. I'm acquainted with the owner, I could put in a appearance at his store and make him faint. :rofl:

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 07:43:46 AM »
While rummaging around in a closet I have found a no cost solution. I came across a plastic bread box thing. One half of it will hold 1 1/4 gallons. Going through my wood stash I came up with some 1" think poplar and cut a plug to fit loosely inside the box. That will need a food safe coating. I found a can of Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane, that will do it. Now for a weight. A pint jar will fit and when full of water weighs something over 1 1/2 pounds.

Only thing I need to buy is a roll of that foam drawer liner material (cheap) to use as a router mat while I rout round overs on the sides and two holes in the center. Don't know why I put the holes just seemed a thing to do.

I know this container will work because I've used it in the past, just totally forgot about it.  :facepalm:

Offline atherts

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP and Guinness Supporter
    • Karott Productions

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 04:40:10 PM »
Interesting atherts. 2L may be a bit big for me but I'm one that usually goes for bigger - just in case.  ;D

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 05:19:40 PM »
Cool. There is a Ace Hardware about a mile from me. I'm acquainted with the owner, I could put in a appearance at his store and make him faint. :rofl:

Hey!!!!!!!!  I'll CALL AHEAD and warn the man, so he won't have a big H

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 02:16:39 AM »
Good idea.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 03:42:45 AM »
 ;D

Offline OrchidBetty

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2018, 03:54:15 AM »
Any wide-mouth jar will do. (trust me, I'm Korean). BTW, the brown container in the pic looks like the fermented soybean paste. They also sell the red containers of chili paste. I highly recommend both to kick-up the flavor of your soups or any other dish. You haven't lived unless you've added a spoon full of red chili paste to your top ramen!

I would use the Ball or Kerr jars or even reuse a glass mayo jar. It's not an exact science. However, since you're making it from scratch, you may as well go large! Some people cut up the Chinese cabbage or daikon radish so it fits in the bottles. Expert-level is to leave the leaves whole but that can be messy when pulling it out of the jar to eat it.

Oh, and cover the jar opening with saran wrap before screwing the lid on. It will keep it from smelling up your fridge. Also, it may bubble up as it ferments...be forwarned.. it's all good.     

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2018, 04:13:14 AM »
Any wide-mouth jar will do. (trust me, I'm Korean). BTW, the brown container in the pic looks like the fermented soybean paste. They also sell the red containers of chili paste. I highly recommend both to kick-up the flavor of your soups or any other dish. You haven't lived unless you've added a spoon full of red chili paste to your top ramen!

I would use the Ball or Kerr jars or even reuse a glass mayo jar. It's not an exact science. However, since you're making it from scratch, you may as well go large! Some people cut up the Chinese cabbage or daikon radish so it fits in the bottles. Expert-level is to leave the leaves whole but that can be messy when pulling it out of the jar to eat it.

Oh, and cover the jar opening with saran wrap before screwing the lid on. It will keep it from smelling up your fridge. Also, it may bubble up as it ferments...be forwarned.. it's all good.   

Yes the brown container does look like the larger containers of bean paste but it is a fermentation container. I usually keep a jar of bean paste and chili paste in the frig and several cases of ramen noodles on the shelf. When I worked in a Korean owned machine shop my breakfast at work was always ramen and kimchi. Naturally there were multiple gallons of kimchi in the frigs around the shop.

Now as to containers to use  :facepalm: :banghead: I have several empty half gallon jars setting on the shelves here and plenty of plastic wrap.

When I buy kimchi I always take a plastic tub to put the jar in. Don't want it bubbling over onto the car floor. I don't mind the smell but don't want it in the car. Dang it now I need kimchi jjigae.  ;D

Offline OrchidBetty

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 01:53:09 AM »
I like your style!

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2018, 04:37:53 AM »
 :spit: