Author Topic: 55 Gallon Metal Drum Liners - Are they safe  (Read 187 times)

Offline ChangeHope

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
55 Gallon Metal Drum Liners - Are they safe
« on: August 11, 2018, 06:40:47 AM »
Hello, everyone.  So, I am working on a couple projects with some 55 gallon metal drums and have a few questions.  The drums that I have were originally used as food storage, and as such they have liners inside of them.  I have found various articles on the internet about how to remove the liners from the barrels using sand blasting, etc.  However, I don't see anyone really saying why it is necessary to remove the liners.  Why is it important to remove the liners?

I guess my biggest concern is I want to know if the liner is going to be unsafe for what I want to use the barrels for.  I will use one of the barrels as a burn bucket, and I am wondering if I will be releasing anything hazardous into the air by burning the liner.  Also, I plan to put the ashes into my compost barrel and later put the compost in my garden.  Will burning with the lined barrel release anything hazardous into the compost which would make vegetables grown with it unsafe?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Offline Cupric

• Prepper
  • Do what is right, not what is easy.
Re: 55 Gallon Metal Drum Liners - Are they safe
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 04:05:52 PM »
I can't speak to whether or not anything bad would be released into the atmosphere by burning the liners but I'd think if you seasoned the barrel with a few hot, hot fires, the liner would be no more.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 07:17:54 AM »
  I would hazard a guess that the liner in the can releases far fewer hazards than does the paint and packaging if you use it to burn household trash. Due to the quantity  of the liner...I would not worry about it.

Offline ChangeHope

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 02:45:33 PM »
Yeah, I'm just going to keep burning in it and hope that burning will remove the liner.  I've read about folks sand blasting them, but that just seems like overkill.  I agree with you.  BURN BABY BURN!