Author Topic: Well I just ordered 2 Renogy solar panels  (Read 1326 times)

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Well I just ordered 2 Renogy solar panels
« on: August 21, 2018, 08:50:11 AM »
Hi All

Trying to build up my gear some.

I had 4 HQST 100 watt panels already and just added 2 Renogy 100 watt panels.

With these and the smaller sets I have made I will have around 900 watts available in a crisis.

Once I add to my battery bank I should be able to run the pellet stove and such for a while.

Anyways just sharing Folks

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Well I just ordered 2 Renogy solar panels
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 10:59:06 AM »
  Great up-grade...gave you some KARMA ...goes good on the popcorn!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 05:34:40 PM »
Thank you good Sir

I need to buy a bigger charge controller
Current one is:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FB3OPKM/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=d754fdf0-fd52-4edd-8917-8e65a84c20d5&pd_rd_wg=OwDvQ&pf_rd_r=YBPGH327QFNKAF1PFANW&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B00FB3OPKM&pd_rd_w=1Ipww&pf_rd_i=solar+charge+controller&pd_rd_r=01bd2c67-a53c-4273-b2b7-08993c49bca0&ie=UTF8&qid=1534872574&sr=1

Works good for my small sets but is topped out at 30 AMP

Yea, I wouldn't run it so close to max and PLEASE....resist the idea to 'stack' or run TWO charge controllers. Just get a good one and you will have room to expand more later.

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 08:07:02 AM »
Funny you should say that
I was wondering if it was possible to "chain" controllers together.
No worries I already have a 40 AMP controller on my wish list  8)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 06:56:54 AM »
Funny you should say that
I was wondering if it was possible to "chain" controllers together.
No worries I already have a 40 AMP controller on my wish list  8)

You can split up your battery bank and run two  banks independently though this adds complications and failure points to the system. Controllers are just not built to 'synchronize' to my knowledge and they are not accurate enough to 'share' a load that is larger than  one controller is rated to deal with. My exposure is the hobby level electronics and your system is more industrial so I can't advise you on availability of such 'piggyback' systems.   

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 07:29:21 AM »
No worries

I am just going to get a 40 amp controller

6 panels will be about 30 amps so I should be good to go.

I will have smaller battery banks for little stuff and can use the other controllers there.

I have 3 1000 watt inverters two are sine one is modified so I can mix and match as needed.

Offline fratermus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • off-grid BOV
    • boondock plan
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 11:43:32 AM »
Yea, I wouldn't run it so close to max and PLEASE....resist the idea to 'stack' or run TWO charge controllers. Just get a good one and you will have room to expand more later.

I agree PWM shouldn't be run close to their current rating (and definitely never near the voltage limit).  Having said that,  many MPPT can be be run at or over the rating (overpaneling) since they can clip/clamp power.  Morningstar and some others tell users how and why to do it.  The rule of thumb is that it is typically economically advantageous to overpanel MPPT up to about 20%, depending on local insolation.  Consult the manuals/manufacturers, and folks who are already doing it before getting crazy with it.  My own system is overpaneled by a few percent.   

Running parallel controllers on separate panels feeding the same bank is a non-issue.  For most folks they can just config the setpoints to the same values.  During Bulk they will both contribute all they've got.  Due to wiring and sensing differences it's possible that when Vabs is reached one will fall away, although by that time current demands are falling anyhow.  If the single controller can't hold Vabs (or if loads increase) then the other will come back online.  It's not a big deal since we are talking about small deltas here.

Parallel contollers have the benefit of eliminating a single point of failure, increased resillience in shaded conditions, and can be cheaper than one huge controller. .  They also have the con of more cabling and 2x the configuration required. 

Buying a big one with room to expand can result in unncessarily large parasitic losses, as these tend to increase with current rating.  And I have seen installs where space limitations required two smaller controllers instead of one large one.

Food for though, and hopefully it helps folks think about the issues when choosing a controller solution.