Author Topic: The Window is about to CLOSE. Get your guns and ammo NOW.  (Read 42674 times)

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Re: The Window is about to CLOSE. Get your guns and ammo NOW.
« Reply #240 on: August 19, 2020, 04:54:08 PM »

The last rifle kit I have seen at PSA that tempted me was one in 300 aac/blackout.  Mostly an AR-15 with a different  caliber barrel.  I have never shot a rifle cambered in 300 blackout, but it would be a very good round for medium size varmints. Some people think that it could be very effective as a home defense setup.  (SBR configured with silencer (requires 2 #200 dollar NFA stamps))

We've switched over to .300 BLK's for our primary defensive weapons.  From what  I've researched and experienced, the round offers most of what we're looking for in a conveniently-sized package and an acceptable engagement sphere.

Going an SBR route is actually a double-stamp issue.  ATF requires $200 for the SBR and $200 for the suppressor. . . UNLESS you get one of the one-stamp "hybrid" (my word) uppers which permanently affixes a suppressor to the shortened barrel, in effect making a shroud that happens to contain the internals to suppress the shot (sorta like welding a 5" flash-suppressor permanently onto a 11" barrel).

We initially went the way of SBR'ing with a separate suppressor.  However, we've chosen an easier way:

With the recent popularity of AR pistols, I ended up building a pair of .300BLK pistols that accepted caliber-specific suppressors.  I was even lucky enough to find stripped lowers from the same manufacturer (I originally purchased AAC MPW's pre-built to 9" barrels accepting AAC  762SDN6 suppressors), so I purchased them, had them 4473'd as multicaliber handguns and assembled them to the original MPW specs with a Tailhook 2 pistol brace instead of a standard stock.

Now, I can take these on trips with me with the suppressors if suppressors are allowed in the state I'm going to (and those in-between).

This also has the benefit of saving you $200 for the SBR stamp.

Add in a LAW side-folding adapter, and you have a package that fits into a small pack quite easily.

The Professor

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #241 on: August 20, 2020, 06:35:58 AM »
There are a lot of fun 'toys' out there and I would not mind having one or two.  However; the 6month to a year wait on some of the forms are a bit long.  When living on a farm way back when, I could see having a nice 22lr suppressed rifle for some of the smaller varmints.

And if I had chickens, I could see the setup using some night vision gear to make sure unwelcome guests to the dinner table stayed away.  For people who like to tinker, an ATF Form 1 (e-file) might be worth while obtaining some special quite time.  The wait time is about 30-40 days to get the form approved by the ATF.  Once the form is approved you can build your own suppressor if you have the skills.  If you don't have all of the necessary skills, you can still build the required parts necessary to turn your pile of parts into a legal suppressor and let a real FFL  Class 2 SOT machinist finish the build. 

I have seen some designs that hard mount (weld) the silencer mount to the barrel to make sure the rifle barrel is over the 16" barrel size.  Kind of funny looking, but it does save more paperwork and lets the silencer move between rifles.

If you need something compact without the NFA wait,  the Tavor X95 might be a worth while option.   Ok, those rifles have always been in short supply and the ticket to buy one is prob over 2k.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #242 on: August 20, 2020, 07:22:45 AM »
https://www.wsls.com/news/local/2020/08/13/were-really-in-an-ammo-crisis-virginia-gun-stores-impacted-by-national-gun-ammo-shortage/
‘We’re really in an ammo crisis’: Virginia gun stores impacted by national gun, ammo shortage
Shortage has been growing for months

At SafeSide Tactical in Roanoke, the ammo shelves are getting bare and about a dozen are completely empty.

“In March, we started to see some of the ammo SKUs that we purchase frequently be less available,” said Safeside Tactical Co-Owner Mitchell Tyler, adding other gun shops and ranges are seeing the same thing. “It’s just kind of become progressively worse. At this point, we are really expecting this to go well into next summer.”

Tyler said the company is now limiting ammo purchases.
To put the gun shortage in perspective, SafeSide Tactical was seeing about a 90% decrease in availability on Thursday.
“A lot of folks learned a small part of this lesson in 2013 during the ammo shortage,” said Tyler. Two thousand thirteen was more like a warning than a crisis. Now, we’re really in an ammo crisis.”

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #243 on: August 20, 2020, 08:02:58 AM »
So just talked to a buddy who owns one of the gun shops.  He has 223, 308, and 22LR ordered and should be there in about a week.  But 9mm is delayed for at least a month and he expects two to three months.  He suggested ordering directly from federal as they are still shipping out small orders to individuals.  Just checked and American Eagle 115 grain target ammo is about 40 cents a round shipped including tax.  Believe it or not, that is about cheapest online.  For example, only thing bulkammo.com has in stock is a +P cartridge at $1.10 per round. Here is link to federal site:

https://www.federalpremium.com/handgun/american-eagle/

Three months ago you could find this ammo everywhere for about 15 cents a round.  So it is up about 2-3x.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #244 on: August 21, 2020, 01:28:10 PM »
This is in alignment with what gunstore owners are saying here.

https://www.nj.com/news/2020/08/the-country-is-literally-out-of-ammunition-gun-store-owners-scramble-to-meet-unprecedented-demand.html
‘The country is literally out of ammunition.’ Gun store owners scramble to meet unprecedented demand.

Every couple of weeks, Eric Rebels will make a two-hour trip from North Jersey to Eagle Point Gun in Gloucester County in a desperate quest to get ammunition to sell at his gun store.

To get a good place on line, he will sleep in his car overnight to be ready when the distributor opens its doors in the morning.
There is a nationwide shortage so what you can get you have to go through to get,” Rebels said.

Guns store owners around the state say the confluence of the coronavirus pandemic, civil unrest and an upcoming presidential election have created an unprecedented surge in residents seeking to purchase firearms and ammunition.
As of August 12, the New Jersey State Police has received nearly 130,000 firearm applications, topping the number of applications the agency received in 2018 and 2019 combined, according to State Police data. The number of applications this year has increased by more than 137% since last year— with more than 4 months left in 2020, according to the agency.
States across the country have experienced similar spikes in firearm ownership, creating a burden on the manufacturers to produce more ammunition, gun store owners say. Ammunition shelves at gun stores and shooting ranges are bare, and dealers say they are often unable to meet the growing demand.
“There is no product in the country,” said Rick Friedman, who owns RTSP, which operates gun ranges and stores in Randolph and Union. “Until they start producing more and it is hitting the docks, there is just no product to have. It is beyond a dire situation. The country is literally out of ammunition.”

“Right now, getting the guns are hard, the ammo is hard,” said Jack Faen
Tom Morris III, owner of Eagle Point Gun, said gun store owners line up outside his place every time since he sends out an alert that he has received a shipment of ammunition.

“There is not a lack of production,” he said. “They are making as much as they have ever made, but there is a physical limitation to what they can make.”

Multiple gun and ammunition manufacturers did not respond to requests for comment, though some of the bigger national brands, like Winchester and Federal Ammunition, have put notices at the top of their websites alerting customers to the shortage.
David Rosenthal, vice president of the Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners, said 9mm caliber rounds, which are widely popular, are “scarce.” He said if a gun store does have them, it will limit the amount of rounds a customer can buy.

“There is 10 times more people looking for the same amount of inventory that manufacturers routinely put out,” Rosenthal said.

The pandemic has upended the typical supply chain in the industry, gun store owners said.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #245 on: August 21, 2020, 07:55:08 PM »

I was going to ck our 2 local ammo sources today while doing a supply run.
I totally forgot to look.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #246 on: August 22, 2020, 07:30:54 AM »
I went to the local Fleet Farm on a hunt and gather mission yesterday. Zero handgun ammo. Even things like 454 - Gone.

10 boxes of 5.56 (which I left for someone more needy than me) but I did score 240 rounds of 300 BLK for 14.99 a box (way below any price you can find online). I was shocked. Ammoseek shows the going rate for 300BLK at about a dollar a round if you can find any. Good stuff is around 2.40/Rnd.

Zero buckshot of any sort. Zero .22 aside from a couple boxes of .22 shot load. Plenty of .308 and other hunting rounds.

All this and it is not even November yet. Winter is coming Here.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #247 on: August 22, 2020, 08:01:42 AM »
I went to the local Fleet Farm on a hunt and gather mission yesterday. Zero handgun ammo. Even things like 454 - Gone.

10 boxes of 5.56 (which I left for someone more needy than me) but I did score 240 rounds of 300 BLK for 14.99 a box (way below any price you can find online). I was shocked. Ammoseek shows the going rate for 300BLK at about a dollar a round if you can find any. Good stuff is around 2.40/Rnd.

Zero buckshot of any sort. Zero .22 aside from a couple boxes of .22 shot load. Plenty of .308 and other hunting rounds.

All this and it is not even November yet. Winter is coming Here.

He shoots, he scores!

Went to the Rural King in the nearby big city yesterday.  Only eight rifles, three shotguns, and four handguns in stock.  All handgun ammunition was gone.  Only rimfire was 17 HMR.  Only rifle ammo was in 270, 30-06, and 6.5 Creedmore.  Only 12 gauge shotshells were in #7.5, #8, and Anguilla minishell slugs.  Shoppers were limited to two boxes of ammo in total per day

The normal four foot stack of ammo cans was down to 8 units of which I snagged two. 

The window is currently 99% closed here

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #248 on: August 22, 2020, 08:39:07 AM »
Good find on the 300 Blackout, I take it that it was the light and fast version versus the slow but heavy.

I am looking for a barrel in that cal for my single shot Encore.

I have been trying to reorganize my reloading area and I had thought I had picked up some double buck or 4 buck a few years back.  If I did, I must have found a real safe spot to put it up.   

For simple plinking I am happy I picked up a pellet rifle in 22 cal years ago.  At least the ammo is dirt cheap compared to anything else in stock.  So tin cans be warned!

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #249 on: August 22, 2020, 12:46:46 PM »
  SSK can make you a custom barrel for the Encore. It won't be cheep. For $600 They built me a 30/30 Akley improved with a heavy barrel and a 1 in 8 twist. It will shoot up to 240gr bullets with 165gr Serria's going into one ragged hole.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #250 on: August 22, 2020, 06:32:35 PM »
Yep, I was looking at BullBerry, and yes it is just what it sounds like.  They would do it for both encore and contender series.  I did fine a used 300 blackout barrel from haus.   $435.00 for the MGM at haus is something worth to consider.

The BullBerry would have been my choice; but reading the fine print.  Only use commercial new brass when loading for this caliber  Well; I have like 1k brass that had been converted so it is not going to work for me.  Hmm, there is an ssk-50 frame I would love to buy.

I do have a few plan 'b' options using one of the 'cheaper' bolt action rifles chambered in the round.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #251 on: August 25, 2020, 06:59:22 PM »
Good find on the 300 Blackout, I take it that it was the light and fast version versus the slow but heavy.

Yeah. Not what I normally get (I stocked up on the slow, heavy and quiet) but you get what you get and you don't throw a fit.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #252 on: September 04, 2020, 07:08:15 AM »
Have a cousin who wants a 9mm Ruger for target practice but couldn't find any ammo when looking around. Not sure what to tell him other than look for another gun.
Searched on Federal site and all sold out.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #253 on: September 04, 2020, 07:20:55 AM »
Have a cousin who wants a 9mm Ruger for target practice but couldn't find any ammo when looking around. Not sure what to tell him other than look for another gun.
Searched on Federal site and all sold out.

Some shooting ranges will sell a box to a customer at their store. 
I ended up converting one of my pistols to shoot 22lr as an option. But then, as soon as I did that 22lr got so hard to find it cost more than 9mm.

One option still can be a good quality pellet gun to maintain some level of proficiency.

there are some ammo search sites - see if https://ammoseek.com/ will work

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #254 on: September 04, 2020, 07:54:17 AM »
Thanks. Have read where something like a P226 has different chamber you can get. Course, with all ammo being scarce.. Will check out that site.