Author Topic: Bore Butter  (Read 192 times)

Online David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
Bore Butter
« on: December 08, 2018, 01:40:33 PM »
Thompson Centerfire (I think owned by S&W) makes an odd product called "Bore Butter".

https://accessories.tcarms.com/product/natural-lube-1000-plus-bore-butter-5-oz-tube-natural-scent-2/

Anyhow I got some from a friend who got it at near giveaway prices and I thought I'd use it to coat the guns I put away this year. While it's listed as a black powder lubricant Thompson also claims it will generally resist rust on the outside of any firearm. Great. So I open the tube and it smells like wintergreen. That's odd. I put some on a shotgun patch and worked it over my .308. Everything seems good.

Then I got a wild idea. I took out the bolt and rubbed it down with the stuff. Put it back together and it runs super smooth. I mean the bolt got quieter. Big Dave gets excited. I then took apart my 870 and rubbed the stuff in all its working parts. Smoother and quieter. And I mean noticeable.

Now a couple things... I haven't run it hot. When you heat a lubricant things change. I wouldn't put this stuff in an AR or a 1911 because it is THICK. The tubes kinda suck to use. Oh, and I'm not a lubricant nerd. I usually use Militec 1; the gallon I bought 8 years ago is going strong. When I shot competitive I would use (cough) Mobil 1. I'm a cheapo. I also have't tested in the cold. Some reviews say it hardens up.

My hangup is whether next spring I clean the guns again and put the usual Militec on or just use Bore Butter as a lube. I like the way it feels. It reminds me of the action of good old grease. Anybody ever fool around with this stuff? It's very expensive if you coat a whole rifle but I like the way it works.

Online David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Bore Butter
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 09:08:59 AM »
Last night I coated my other two bolt guns. I should have brought up earlier that just rubbing down the exterior with Bore Butter makes it really look good. It gives that 'just a hint of shine on matte black' look I love. And it did lift rust I hadn't seen (on the Mosin). If you're the guy who keeps his weapons in a glass display case give it a thought.

I'm bummed I won't get to live fire test it until next year (most likely) because I only do pistols at indoor ranges and I wouldn't put this stuff on a pistol.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 10:30:49 AM »
  I might try it to lube my carry revolver just to see what happens.

Offline Kfood

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 10:26:36 AM »
If you like it give it a shot and see if your guns run with it. I like a very thin grease for most uses and if this stuff is as thick as you say it might cause some function issues.
But, only one way to find out!

Online David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 11:06:51 AM »
If you like it give it a shot and see if your guns run with it. I like a very thin grease for most uses and if this stuff is as thick as you say it might cause some function issues.
But, only one way to find out!

Like I said definitely not for the AR or 1911 (or other fussier guns) but for a bolt action or pump gun where thicker lubrication is OK maybe it would work. Or maybe attract dirt. Don't know. But I will be using it to "put the guns down for winter" for the foreseeable future until I find something better. Lithium grease was the old way. Cosmolene is a 4 letter word around here.

Also, welcome!

Offline Kfood

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 11:49:47 AM »
I agree 100%
And thanks for the welcome!