Author Topic: Good DX bands for Ozarks area and any active nets?  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Zephyr66

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Lazy Dog Ranch & Homestead
Good DX bands for Ozarks area and any active nets?
« on: January 01, 2019, 07:15:58 AM »
Hi all.  I'm new to the forum and moved from the city to 30 acres in the Ozarks on Arkansas where I'm able to work from my home and get my homestead going.  It's no easy task doing this alone, but I'm up for the challenge!  I have been an advanced HAM for about 20 years and will be soon setting up my station (probably a long wire with my Icom). Is anyone aware of any active nets for homesteading/prepping? 

Sylvia

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: Good DX bands for Ozarks area and any active nets?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 12:58:45 PM »
I'm not seeing a lot of prepping nets.  We've tried here several times with limited success, or what's better described as "mitigated failure".  Few people, a wide variety of ranges (meaning coordinating across different bands), mostly 100 watt radios, etc.

A lot of it comes down to opsec as well.  There aren't many people who want to transmit their names and addresses (via call signs) and then discuss preparedness status over HF.  So even when we have made radio contacts with each other, serious discussions tend to stay here on the forum.

Having said that, AmRRON (https://amrron.com) seems to do some of that kind of stuff.  OTOH, they're up in the northwest, well away from the Ozarks.  Still, you might give them a look.

Anybody else got any better ideas for Zephyr?

Offline gnoticpasta

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 01:17:37 PM »
I was going to suggest amrron as well.  The main branch that started it all is just a bit north of me, but they do national net nets on 80m, and there are some regional nets as well.  Here's a direct link to their Regional/National nets (dates/times/freqs)

https://amrron.com/nets-regional-national/amrron-regionalnational-nets/

If you go to the top of the webpage, you'll "scheduled nets" and you can look through the local nets. I didn't see anything for Arkansas, but did see nets for Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas and Tennessee. Not sure where in Arkansas, but perhaps you might be close to one of these borders .

GP

Offline Zephyr66

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Lazy Dog Ranch & Homestead
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 09:04:07 AM »
thank you both for the input!